Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at various 4x4s (I am after another car to use as a 'just chuck all the shi* in it') type car so that I dont have to use my bella for tip runs, camping trips etc and have been looking at all sorts.
But descriptions of 2nd hand cars are just total and utter monkey nuts.
I went to see one that was described as 'in excellent condition for age' which as it turns out has a watermelon sized rust hole above the fuel filler in the rear quarter panel. As well as a diff whine what was so loud in all gears you could not hear the passenger, and the transfer box would not engage 4wd!

How, in any sane world, can that be described as excellent condition?

I appreciate that cars of the age I am looking at (93 - 99) are not in showroom condition but surely a simple honest description would be worthwhile!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is for precisely for this reason that I won't venture more than 10 miles to look at anything in autotrader. Funny thing is my experience on ebay is that the descriptions are pretty good.

I don't know why they do it. It's not as if I'm going to say "Oh well. I know it'll never pass another MoT and should never have passed the previous one anyway, but I'm here now so I'll buy it".

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
After looking at various 4x4s (I am after another car to use as a 'just chuck all the shi* in it') type car so that I dont have to use my bella for tip runs, camping trips etc and have been looking at all sorts
ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need a series Landrover - had one myself and regret selling it.

Want to clean the inside? use a pressure washer.

Want to park in that road next to that field? - drive over the field.

Want to worry that sad Brera owner who has parked in the furthest corner of the car park? - drive your Landy alongside and leave a fag papers gap.

Seriously my Series 3 was the best fun I ever had - unbolted the roof in the summer and drove around uninhibited. It was also practical - loaded all of Abi's stuff in the back when she went to uni. We used it to go on holiday - just threw stuff in the back and didn't care.

We helped friends move and, I remember driving to the local pub with 7 friends bouncing around in the back.

Hell - I think I'll get another one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second the Land Rover. Defenders are good but get a 110, not a 90. My son can't actually fit a mountain bike in the back of his 90 without taking the front wheel off...

Alternatively, a Discovery might fit the bill here, but they do rust a bit.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second the Land Rover. Defenders are good but get a 110, not a 90. My son can't actually fit a mountain bike in the back of his 90 without taking the front wheel off...

Alternatively, a Discovery might fit the bill here, but they do rust a bit.
We used to have a 110 Safari with a full set of seats at work and it was suprising how little space there was in it. Still great fun though.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a Series IIa Landy and I loved it,well until the bulk head collapsed with all the rust anyway! I would have another straight away. A guy round the corner is selling a 109 but he wants nearly £2000 for it and it is not worth anywhere near that. I have made him an offer of £1100 as he has had it for sale for nearly 5 months but he said no.
Have also had a Disco (early one) and it was a heap. My old man as got a TD3 (V8 LPG) thats ok, but not great.
Thing I dont like about it (apart from the 12 mpg!) is that it is so uncomfortable to drive. There is no where to put your left leg.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
But their less reliable than our alfas :lol: but still great fun. We have one at work its only the 90 as it better off road than the 110 but if I ever wanted one it would be a 110 just for the space. Try fitting three men in the front of a 90 it gets a bit erm......... I think you need to be comfortable with your sexuality :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But their less reliable than our alfas :lol: but still great fun. We have one at work its only the 90 as it better off road than the 110 but if I ever wanted one it would be a 110 just for the space. Try fitting three men in the front of a 90 it gets a bit erm......... I think you need to be comfortable with your sexuality :lol:
Subtle, very subtle but I know what your getting at. My old series IIa 88 could supposedly fit 7 in (2 on either rear side bench and 3 in the front).
As long as it was a mix of boys and girls the rozzers always let us move on when they stopped us at 3 in the morning. (I used to manage a hotel and always gave the staff a lift home so got pulled over at least once a week in it!)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Loved my Disco. (See: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/193726-a-disco-in-its-natural-surroundings.html) Being vertically challenged I didn't have legroom problems. :) Also, despite what people say (like they say about Alfas) my Disco never gave me any serious problems. When the dashboard cracked after the car was out of warranty it was replaced by LR without cost to me. The only other issue was the dealer overfilled the engine with oil and some oil got on to the clutch. They refused to repair it but I sold it soon after as I was emigrating. I still miss that car.:cry:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I hear what your saying. My old man swares by his landrovers and range rovers. None of the new ford crap though. Don't think any of his five date past 1993! Tell a lie he does have a disco van. But it is a 200tdi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts