Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I fitted a left hand door mirror as my 1982 GTV6 as she never had one. After making a home made gasket out of a DVD case (I know I am pro) it came to the electrics. How do you wire it in to the existing switch? Answer is you can't as the switch on the Mark 1 and 2 only operates one mirror. So I have brought a Mark 3 switch which has collar you can move to select left and right mirror.

My question is does anyone have any idea how to wire the extra mirror in? I can cut the cables and start splicing etc but thats not a good start and a waste of time if someone else knows... HELP.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,391 Posts
Last year I fitted a left hand door mirror as my 1982 GTV6 as she never had one. After making a home made gasket out of a DVD case (I know I am pro) it came to the electrics. How do you wire it in to the existing switch? Answer is you can't as the switch on the Mark 1 and 2 only operates one mirror. So I have brought a Mark 3 switch which has collar you can move to select left and right mirror.

My question is does anyone have any idea how to wire the extra mirror in? I can cut the cables and start splicing etc but thats not a good start and a waste of time if someone else knows... HELP.
Very good point Peter, I have, or will have, the same problem. Currently the N/S Mirror is sitting in the garage, not going to fit it until after the respray. Spoke to my Auto 'leccy about this and he just shuddered, not too encouraging.

THere are only two wires going to the Joystick, Black and Yellow IIRC and these are two of the colours that come direct from the mirror so hopefully..........

What I have thought of is to put a Double Throw, Double Pole Switch with a Centre " Off " position in one of the Blank positions in the centre console, take both mirrors wiring to there and then on to the joystick. I think I will also change to an Ignition Switched supply as well, right now every time I'm leaning over and doing some work I'm constantly shifting the joystick which moves the mirrors. What a crazy design, considering that the Cig Lighter IS on a switched supply !

I don't think all of this would take too much figuring out and sounds like a neat enough solution.

None of which is much help to you right now - sorry.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know if this is good news or bad news: I've just had a look at the Alfa Wiring Diagram. For single mirror cars, from what I can decipher (my copy is a print of a pdf of a scan) the mirror switch should have five wires emanating from it:

Yellow/black = power, after connector is two red wires, one to fusebox, one to radio
Sky blue/black,
Sky blue,
Yellow = all go to mirror motor, via two double connector blocks
Black = Earth
The fourth space in the blocks I mentioned above is the earth for the mirror motor, and is also black.

Below is an annotated jpeg of the diagram for cars with two mirrors. As you can see, there are six wires from the mirror switch. (Right click and open image in new tab, it's bigger.)

Nige, you're right that the switch is in a stupid position: just where I put my hand when I lower myself into the seat, so one mirror always needs readjusting before setting off.

Attachments

·
16,391 Posts
I don't know if this is good news or bad news: I've just had a look at the Alfa Wiring Diagram. For single mirror cars, from what I can decipher (my copy is a print of a pdf of a scan) the mirror switch should have five wires emanating from it:

Yellow/black = power, after connector is two red wires, one to fusebox, one to radio
Sky blue/black,
Sky blue,
Black = Earth
The fourth space in the blocks I mentioned above is the earth for the mirror motor, and is also black.

Below is an annotated jpeg of the diagram for cars with two mirrors. As you can see, there are six wires from the mirror switch. (Right click and open image in new tab, it's bigger.)

Nige, you're right that the switch is in a stupid position: just where I put my hand when I lower myself into the seat, so one mirror always needs readjusting before setting off.
:thumbs: It seems that we will have do some research and trial runs I think. Pretty sure that to my Joystick there are only two wires, the aforementioned Yellow and a Black but can't be sure, was doing something else at the time and this was just sort of an incidental mental note. There are four wires from each mirror, pretty sure I can work something out but whether or not it will be anything like the original is another story. And the supply IS going to come from an Ignition switched source, the constant hassle of resetting after accidental adjustment is just one quirk too far !:)

Yet another thing to think about !

Whilst on 'leccy stuff have you installed Rem CL on your cars ? This is a must for me and I'll be doing it at the same time as I fit the N/S mirror.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sky blue/black,
Sky blue,
Black = Earth

Thats brillient mate! You know I found that diagram myself but I was struggling to get the colours for the wires meant lol.

My 1 mirror setup has 5 wires at the switch with a 'blank' on the 6 spade connector. The new 2 mirror switch has the 6 wires but obviously i have a missing wire in my loom. I know this as i attempted to splice the wires in before with very little success, well in fact i ended up with the switch operating beth mirrors at the same time!! I am appreciate your help on this and evidently so does Nige! haha at least my mirrors on though Nigel!!!

Once its stop snowing and I have sorted out my passenger floor and fitting my fire extingisher (NEEDED), I'll get on to doing it. At this time of year paint doesn't dry!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whilst on 'leccy stuff have you installed Rem CL on your cars ? This is a must for me and I'll be doing it at the same time as I fit the N/S mirror.
What the bl00dy hell is Rem CL?
I need to tidying the bottom of my door up its a bit messy with old waxoyl and repaired stuff when I do the mirror.

Also I am getting an uprated alternator, so with any luck the extra amps will make the windows move quicker!!!!

·
16,391 Posts
What the bl00dy hell is Rem CL?
I need to tidying the bottom of my door up its a bit messy with old waxoyl and repaired stuff when I do the mirror.

Also I am getting an uprated alternator, so with any luck the extra amps will make the windows move quicker!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Remote Central Locking !! You can get kits from eBay for about £30 that come with four door units ( nice to have spares ! ), the Control Unit and two Fobs. kevjtd fitted one of these to his 'sud and he's very pleased with it, a simple fit and, to my mind, a very useful modification. :thumbs:

Was fairly sure that there are only two wires to my Joystick :eek: !!!! Further investigation is obviously needed come the time. I'm hoping to do all these little things whilst refitting after the Paint Job, the list is getting longer..................

Let us know how you get on Peter, fingers crossed.

Not sure that your theory re uprated Alternator and faster moving windows is going to work - sorry. Rebuilt my Alternator in November and with EVERYTHING on it just about went into negative charge, if you see what I mean. In normal use this would hardly ever happen. BUT, if you need to replace the Alternator I reckon you're right to go for an upgrade whilst you are at it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol::lol::lol:

Remote Central Locking !! You can get kits from eBay for about £30 that come with four door units ( nice to have spares ! ), the Control Unit and two Fobs. kevjtd fitted one of these to his 'sud and he's very pleased with it, a simple fit and, to my mind, a very useful modification. :thumbs:

Was fairly sure that there are only two wires to my Joystick :eek: !!!! Further investigation is obviously needed come the time. I'm hoping to do all these little things whilst refitting after the Paint Job, the list is getting longer..................

Let us know how you get on Peter, fingers crossed.

Not sure that your theory re uprated Alternator and faster moving windows is going to work - sorry. Rebuilt my Alternator in November and with EVERYTHING on it just about went into negative charge, if you see what I mean. In normal use this would hardly ever happen. BUT, if you need to replace the Alternator I reckon you're right to go for an upgrade whilst you are at it. :thumbs:
Central locking on an 80's car.... phhh thats far to complicated for me!

Alternator wise.... well i had some power drops before chritsmas with the engine running when the lights dimmed and the radio cut out and came back on. Battery seems ok, seems like I was just having a power fall off. Well its only up'd the amps by 15 so with any luck the old girl will be fine. I think sometimes ppl then to be gready and try and stick a massive alternator on an old car.

·
16,391 Posts
Central locking on an 80's car.... phhh thats far to complicated for me!

Alternator wise.... well i had some power drops before chritsmas with the engine running when the lights dimmed and the radio cut out and came back on. Battery seems ok, seems like I was just having a power fall off. Well its only up'd the amps by 15 so with any luck the old girl will be fine. I think sometimes ppl then to be gready and try and stick a massive alternator on an old car.
:lol: The Central Locking is a piece of wee wee Peter, dead easy, dead cheap and dead useful. That's my thoughts anyway, I'm not a purist and wanting to keep the car totally original. The guy I bought it from made a big point of the original Pioneer Radio Cassette and Power Amp that was fitted. Well the Power Amp and all it's gubbins came out the day after I got it home, wasn't doing much good just sitting in the footwell. The Radio Cassette itself nicely fills a hole in the Console, totally inoperative as I have no wish to listen to it anyway.

After the Paint Job this is also on the looooong list, to be replaced with a MP3 compatible unit. Probably won't listen to that either !!!!

As to the Alternator though it may be worthwhile just driving to the local auto 'leccies, they all have these clip on Ammeters so you can see in seconds what's going on. Of course you can do this at home by checking the Volts with various things happening or by putting an Ammeter in Series with one of your Battery Leads, a bit more faffing about involved though.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Stop complaining guys....
I dont have a joystick on my unit anymore!!!!
:cry:
The owner before broke it off and to top it off even more, when I connected it and used my own little make shift joystick, the **** thing doesn't move, just makes a very nasty sound...
After I took it off I learnt the glass was replaced and the guy used glass cement on the glass AND motor..
So i have to MANUALLY adjust the mirror...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stop complaining guys....
I dont have a joystick on my unit anymore!!!!
The owner before broke it off and to top it off even more, when I connected it and used my own little make shift joystick, the **** thing doesn't move, just makes a very nasty sound...
After I took it off I learnt the glass was replaced and the guy used glass cement on the glass AND motor..
So i have to MANUALLY adjust the mirror...
Yeah that is nasty.... cement... I hope it was Blue Circle Cement! Anywy it should come off its its plastic cement with a bit of scrapping. With regards the switch you could get a second hand one, if i fix mine you could always get my single mirror switch, not helpful if you have 2 mirrors!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Yeah that is nasty.... cement... I hope it was Blue Circle Cement! Anywy it should come off its its plastic cement with a bit of scrapping. With regards the switch you could get a second hand one, if i fix mine you could always get my single mirror switch, not helpful if you have 2 mirrors!
Sure you can just ship it down to SA when your done.
:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure you can just ship it down to SA when your done.
:D
Haha yeah and you can send me some Castle back with the England Cricket team, I am sure the spare seat for the test series thropy will be empty!!!

·
16,391 Posts
scrgdk;3130650 So i have to MANUALLY adjust the mirror... :cry:[/QUOTE said:
But this is the very simple solution to this problem !!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Haha yeah and you can send me some Castle back with the England Cricket team, I am sure the spare seat for the test series thropy will be empty!!!
I doubt it'll make it back the way they getting hammered...
Might need "something for the soul" :cheese: afterwards....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm well... I have found out how to wire the cables. To be honest the cable diagram is helpful but as per usual doesn't represent reality well. I will explain how to do it in the next few days when I take a pen and write it down.

At least it all works!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
hmmm well... I have found out how to wire the cables. To be honest the cable diagram is helpful but as per usual doesn't represent reality well. I will explain how to do it in the next few days when I take a pen and write it down.

At least it all works!
Please keep us updated...

·
16,391 Posts

At least it all works!
:thumbs:Look forward to seeing this Peter.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, how to wire the extra mirror in!

Obviously get a 2 mirror switch off another GTV6. There will now be 6 wires on the controller rather than the 5 for the single mirror. (The extra wire is the Yellow+stripe)

Note: For the purposes of this exercise the mirror wire colours are those eminating the mirror itself.

There are 4 wires on the mirror, yellow, black, blue+stripe and Blue connect these to the following:

Mirror Black to Controller Black

Mirror Yellow to Controller Yellow

Mirror Blue+Stripe to Yellow+Stripe (can look orange)

Mirror Blue to Controller Blue

I wired these just before the connector to the Loom. I cut each wire and soldered in the extra connection from the new mirror. I would suggest you test it all works before you cut the wires, I did this by sticking the exposed wires in the connector block.

It works fine and I am happy enough!

·
16,391 Posts
Right, how to wire the extra mirror in!

Obviously get a 2 mirror switch off another GTV6. There will now be 6 wires on the controller rather than the 5 for the single mirror. (The extra wire is the Yellow+stripe)

Note: For the purposes of this exercise the mirror wire colours are those eminating the mirror itself.

There are 4 wires on the mirror, yellow, black, blue+stripe and Blue connect these to the following:

Mirror Black to Controller Black

Mirror Yellow to Controller Yellow

Mirror Blue+Stripe to Yellow+Stripe (can look orange)

Mirror Blue to Controller Blue

I wired these just before the connector to the Loom. I cut each wire and soldered in the extra connection from the new mirror. I would suggest you test it all works before you cut the wires, I did this by sticking the exposed wires in the connector block.

It works fine and I am happy enough!
Thanks Peter, I'll have to look at this sometime soon.

Pretty sure that I only noticed the Yellow and Black wires going to the Joystick on mine though. :confused: But I was doing something else at the time so it's only a vague recollection.

I'm going to paste your instructions into the Register Thread, let's spread the good news around ! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts