Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In order to mitigate the onset of mild early mid life crisis I have looked at tuning options for my
2L Super. I am a total tuning novice so any input would be welcome. I'm looking at the "self-tuning"
eMotion 2 device from Celtic. Details at https://www.emotion-tuning.co.uk/
Does any have any experience with this remapping tool?

Thanks
Thomas

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Celtic have developed the maps for the 2.0 and the 2.9 on their in house dyno so the maps will be sound. This device seems to be new but should be fairly straight forward to use. The main advantage would be the ability to remove the map and flash back to stock before any dealer work. If your car is from around Apr/2018 it will have the SGW module which prevents flashing so will need a bypass module. Also some of the newer 2.0 200hp models have downrated pistons unlike the early models which have the same engine and turbo fitted to the 280hp model. If your car is a 2017 or early 2018 there should no issues. For £425 inc Vat which includes one stage or an extra £50 for both seems a very good price for device and maps. Go for it and post some feedback here ;)

EDIT: Process is described here:
https://www.emotion-tuning.co.uk/our-process/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Celtic have developed the maps for the 2.0 and the 2.9 on their in house dyno so the maps will be sound. This device seems to be new but should be fairly straight forward to use. The main advantage would be the ability to remove the map and flash back to stock before any dealer work. If your car is from around Apr/2018 it will have the SGW module which prevents flashing so will need a bypass module. Also some of the newer 2.0 200hp models have downrated pistons unlike the early models which have the same engine and turbo fitted to the 280hp model. If your car is a 2017 or early 2018 there should no issues. For £425 inc Vat which includes one stage or an extra £50 for both seems a very good price for device and maps. Go for it and post some feedback here ;)

EDIT: Process is described here:
https://www.emotion-tuning.co.uk/our-process/
Thank you Metalgod - this is detailed input and helps me a great deal in deciding whether to take the plunge. My Giulia is from 2017. I am definitely a few steps closer to "Let's do this". Just waiting on my brother's blessing now since he's the one in the family that knows a thing or two about cars ;-) Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Don't forget to tell your insurance company about the change..
What's with people reminding about insurance whenever the topic of remap, upgrading alloys, adding spoilers and such are discussed here? We are all grown up and responsible enough to know and do the obvious needful ;)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hello all,

In order to mitigate the onset of mild early mid life crisis I have looked at tuning options for my
2L Super. I am a total tuning novice so any input would be welcome. I'm looking at the "self-tuning"
eMotion 2 device from Celtic. Details at https://www.emotion-tuning.co.uk/
Does any have any experience with this remapping tool?

Thanks
Thomas
So have you done it? Tick tock....before you hit late life crisis.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So someone I know very well :) took the plunge and had the Celtic Tuning Stage 2 remap using the eMotion 2+ device on the 2.0 200hp (230hp dyno tested) Giulia applied with my help. This is an early 2017 2.0 engine so it has the same hardware as the pre WLTP Euro6d 280hp Veloce. I think for £425 and the ability to choose between the factory map and the upgrade using a simple touch screen interface OBD device, this is very good value. It has only been less than 100 miles and the adaptation is probably still occurring but goodness me it is fast. It is not the 324hp at the crank which you don’t really see unless you rev your engine hard to higher rpms but the massive increase in torque to 475Nm (well within limits of ZF8 factory rated to 500Nm, capable of a lot more as the same gearbox is on certain BMW diesels putting out more torque). It is the acceleration and the low/mid range torque that is very noticeable. I can’t imagine how quick the Qf must be as this is already mega fast for what opportunity there is to drive quick these days. The brakes are capable but as the front discs are nearing the limit, upgrading to better pads/discs won’t be a bad idea. The engine now makes a nice sound with the BMC air filter and Remus cat back exhaust. It is seriously quick now when on tap but settled and economical (as before anyway) when cruising. No change in gearbox mapping. All 3 DNA modes are proportionally increased with A setting being lower power as before, full 324hp in N,D modes. The next step is to update the Boost dump valve (plastic internals) which is not that responsive to boost demand after throttle lift off, to the GFB DV+ Diverter valve which a number of people on the US forum have done just for better boost stability and reliability at lift off and back on demand conditions.

In terms of the procedure itself this is fairly straight forward but I have elaborated for benefit of others as the instructions on the website are missing some important details.

• Plug in device to OBD port and switch on ignition without starting engine. You will get a number of errors like ESC, Steering, Parksense etc. not available. Accept all errors using the right wiper stalk button.
  • Select tuning on the touch screen and follow instructions. In this case we got an error that a specific calibration file was not present and unable to read the factory file. This is because my ECU factory file was not on the Celtic database. Step 4 is only required if this happens if not skip Step 4.
  • Install the eMotion software on a Laptop using the supplied CD. Connect the device to USB port using cable supplied. This will then update the device.
  • As we had a problem reading stock file, download the error log using the Laptop software from the device, save it to the hard disk and upload it via the eMotion web portal dashboard to Celtic Tuning using login details created during device order. It took them a day to analyse the error log and then update their database with my file. Once this was done reconnect the device to the Laptop, allow the automatic software update to device and then reconnect the device to the car OBD port, select Tuning and follow instructions to read the stock file. This takes about 5 mins.
  • Connect the Device to the Laptop and open eMotion software, allow any auto updates. Download the stock file, name it as ORI and save to hard disk. Upload the ORI file via web portal using option at top of the dashboard page.
  • Now wait for Celtic to do their magic. They state up to 4 working hours but the MOD file was received in the portal within 1 hour after even after 5 pm.
  • Download the MOD file from web portal, save to hard Disk , Connect the device to laptop and load the mod file to device.
  • Connect device to OBD port and follow instructions (again ignore all the dash errors). The odometer, infotainment will flash and there will be audible clicking sound from the speakers. At the final stage you will be asked to start engine and warm to 70degC, once the device detects the temperature has been reached, you will be asked to carry out 3 ‘Overspeeds’ and press OK. Now this is something that’s not clearly explained. It means you will need to rev the engine quickly all the way until it bounces off the rev limiter for a couple of seconds and drop back to idle. This needs to be repeated twice more. You then press OK (Not before, like I did the first time). The reason for the overspeed is to perform what is called ‘Phonic Wheel relearning’ after any ECU update. If you fail to do this step correctly the tune will work but there will be a flashing CEL and you will need to start the flashing all over again. If all 3 Overspeeds are done to rev limiter correctly the flashing CEL should go away after the 3rd Overspeed is completed. Mod file takes about 20 mins to load for the whole process. NOTE: You may want to find a quiet car park while flashing so that the overspeeds do not to annoy your neighbours ;)
  • Follow remaining onscreen instructions, switch off engine, unplug device from OBD.
  • Switch ignition back on to confirm all errors are clear. Start engine and drive normally. The upgrade is apparent immediately and there will be an adaptation period after which it will provide the full benefit.
  • Keep the device in the glovebox in case you need to load the ORI file at any time. You do not need the laptop anymore as both the ORI and MOD files are stored in the device locked to your VIN.
It is a lot easier than how it sounds from the above instructions. These are details that will help someone in case of any concerns or issues. And finally the answer is ‘Yes’ for the benefit of our fatherly figures (Insurance). The car already had the Squadra Sportiva Powerjet 4 tuning box (newer version that is usable on both 200hp and 280hp via online software update) which was a good power increase but this remap is on another level altogether. The power delivery from 2k rpm is quite linear and starts taking off properly from 2.5k rpm onwards without an perceptible turbo rush. No real change to throttle map as such but that is sorted by the Seletron pedal booster. The car is now impressively quick and a pleasure to drive. The chassis and suspension handle the power like a champion with the 19" wheels which demonstrates the lower Giulia variants were scaled back from the Qf rather than the other way around like with BMW and the likes. The car is faster than the standard Veloce which I have driven.

NOTE: If anyone wants the Powerjet 4 tuning box this is available for sale for direct use with the 200hp or an update online for 50EUR with Squadra Sportiva for use on the 280hp Veloce. Failry easy to install using a couple of sockets, takes about 20 mins.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Come on you can never have enough horses. It's not about just speed. Overall driveability has also been improved. The standard Veloce felt like it had a bit of lag in the lower rpm. This is sorted in the Stage 2 map.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
@rjc147 what car is yours, 200 or 280hp? If its 200hp you will see two tabs on the chart for stage 1 to 280hp and stage 2 to 324hp.
If it's the 280hp engine there is only 1 stage increase to 324hp. For the veloce if under warranty the tuning box will offer almost similar increase without flashing. In the 200hp mapping offers the biggest gains, twice as much the tuning boxes.

Put your car reg on the Celtic tuning vehicle finder.

The eMotion 2+ is a different site of Celtic that only shows cars that have the self tuning capability.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What do you mean by that? Isn’t the hardware on all 2.0T engines still the same?
@MacGeek had posted a long time ago that the pistons on the 2.0 were weight classified and at a later date the 200hp 2.0 engines would be different. I am not 100% certain ifvsnd when it changed, most likely around the Euro6d introduction time or before. I will try and dig up the old post if I can.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks. Would really appreciate since I am about to order a Giulia once it is possible again and was planning the 200 bhp RWD as everyone was convincing me it is the same engine as in 280 bhp Veloce.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It may be worth sending a message to MacGeek. He is more active on the USA Forum giuliaforums.com with the same name. He will know for certain.

·
Registered
147 Posts
@rjc147 what car is yours, 200 or 280hp? If its 200hp you will see two tabs on the chart for stage 1 to 280hp and stage 2 to 324hp.
If it's the 280hp engine there is only 1 stage increase to 324hp. For the veloce if under warranty the tuning box will offer almost similar increase without flashing. In the 200hp mapping offers the biggest gains, twice as much the tuning boxes.

Put your car reg on the Celtic tuning vehicle finder.

The eMotion 2+ is a different site of Celtic that only shows cars that have the self tuning capability.

It will be the 280hp, when I eventually order one.

Do you know if Celtic will be releasing a stage 2 map for the 280bhp their system looks very similar to the Euro+Drive unit from Eurocompulsion but not as expensive.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
@rjc147 . I very much doubt they will release a higher tune than 324hp. The EC tune is more power due to modified intake and free flow exhaust..also they have more technical knowledge of how to tune the Multiair system to extract more power. Celtic am sure can customise the power if there are significant upgrades like free flow cat etc.

On the 2018 onward cars you will also need the SGW bypass module to allow tuning to be applied.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If anyone is thinking of using the eMotion 2+ device on their Giulia that were built 2018 and onwards then don't as it won't currently work. These cars have a SGW (security gateway) on the CAN bus. Celtic Tuning don't make this clear on their Site. It may work if you buy a SGW bypass unit that EC offer for around $50.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If anyone is thinking of using the eMotion 2+ device on their Giulia that were built 2018 and onwards then don't as it won't currently work. These cars have a SGW (security gateway) on the CAN bus. Celtic Tuning don't make this clear on their Site. It may work if you buy a SGW bypass unit that EC offer for around $50.
Correct. All cars inc. Qf, diesel, Veloce, Super from 2018 onwards (some early 2018 cars do not have SGW) will prevent you from resetting ECU error codes or flashing. You need a bypass. A little tricky to install. Once installed, tuning will work. It is a well known feature by now. Installation instructions are on the EC site linked below.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts