Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
yeah you could be right, I didnt want to think about it too much at the time :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

My name is Weiler, i'm brazilian and this is my first post here.

I own a '99 FIAT Marea Turbo with some mods and now i'm trying to fit an used 4 pot Brembo callipers from FIAT Coupé 20vt. I've already bought new Brembo 305mm discs and pads.

First place, I apologize for posting a message regarding other car than Alfa at your forum, but I have in mind 3 good arguments to do so: a) the Coupé 20vt calliper is the same from some Alfa models; b) this forum is the only place i found a lot of information about doing this mod; and c) my FIAT Marea share some parts with some Alfa models and anyway we are family, aren't we? :cool:

Well, my starting point was taking an unmounted hub, fixing the 305mm disc on it and trying to find the better position for the calliper. This revealed me my first trouble: the holes from the hub and the calliper didn't match (obvious), but not only this; when i fitted the calliper at the right position to let the pad reach the disc surface correctly, the position of the holes went strange and i couldn't think a way to use an adapter to bolt them together.

Someone may say, "just use an adapter like this": http://www.hotwheels.com.sg/products/tarox/b32-6 caliper w pads w bracket.JPG

I think it wouldn't work, because if i move the calliper away from the hub, the pads would only contact 50% of the disc surface.

Here are some pictures to let you see exactly what i'm saying.

Original hub and calliper:

Trying to fit hub and calliper:

These last picture shows the only position that the pad is covering 100% of the disc surface.

So, what should I do?

Many thanks.

Weiler

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the last choice because it's too expensive to get them from Europe. To give you an idea, the entire front brake kit (callipers + discs + pads) with delivery and import taxes arrived to me 3 times the cost I've paid for the kit itself.

I'm really thinking to cut off the holes from the original hub and weld a new steel plate with the exact dimensions i need. But this is too hardcore.....

At this moment, I'm open to hear more opinions....

Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys! Remember! I'm in Brazil! :)
These parts are heavy weight, so the freight become too expensive. That's why I'm asking for ideas......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Diego,

I was waiting you to find my post here..... :cool:

As you can see, since we've discussed that day I begun to search a pair of Coupé 20VT discs and pads to fit the callipers I should buy from you. But plans changed and i found an entire kit for an affordable price. I was in 2nd place, anyway....

At this thread you mentioned, a guy posted a critical comment:

Its all about having enough room for the adapter really..
If i had 330mm discs i wouldn't have a problem you saw at the pictures above. With my actual Coupé's 20VT 308mm discs, the holes of both calliper and hub are too close, so it's impossible to have and adapter there.

The solution i've found was buying two MT's used hubs with ABS sensors (to preserve my car's original parts), cut the lugs and weld a new 11mm steel plate (where the adapter should be) to let me position and bolt the calliper safetly.

This is not done yet. The 11m plates are ready, used hubs also already bought. Now i need time and patience to cut the lugs off and weld the plates with precision.

As long as i know, our friend Guga will nee to do the same if he wants too keep his Brembos.

Nice to find you here! :thumbs:

Weiler

·
Registered
37 Posts
The solution i've found was buying two MT's used hubs with ABS sensors (to preserve my car's original parts), cut the lugs and weld a new 11mm steel plate (where the adapter should be) to let me position and bolt the calliper safetly.

This is not done yet. The 11m plates are ready, used hubs also already bought. Now i need time and patience to cut the lugs off and weld the plates with precision.
I wouldn't do that. Had same problem so binned the calipers (which especially sucked as I had bought them for "big" money as brembo GT kit:cry: Should've done a little resarch and maybe waited till I had bought my 156 first :rolleyes:) BUT my point is that you wanna weld in such critical place. Welds are always going to be weaker and do you really dare to take your chances with the brakes? :wow: As I said I wouldn't ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a while, lots of issues and it's done!

As i've mentioned above, i bought 2 Marea Turbo used hubs with bearings and ABS sensors to cut the lugs and weld a new plate to fit the Brembos.

The work was done buy a professional welder with an specific kit of electrode (OK48) to join two different materials: nodular steel (hub) and carbon steel (plate). The result was a massive weld that supported 12tons of weight on a hidraylic press and not even bended one milimiter. Security test OK! :thumbs:

This pics shows the job (unfished). I'll paint the callipers with red and place a new white Brembo logo.

Hope you like.

Regards.
Weiler

·
Registered
640 Posts
Which I cant afford, hence trying to see if there was another way. Funny isnt it
Is this a track car?

If not, to be honest I reckon throwing money at making custom brackets etc to fit larger brakes is a total waste of money on a not-particularly-quick street car (unless money is no object...which is not the case).

Dollar-for-dollar, you'd be far better off buying a set of good quality pads, some slotted rotors and some decent brake fluid.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Fitting 305mm calipers and uprights.

Have a problem-the abs sensor plugs (the ones under the bonnet) are different on the 305s compared with the 284mm ones, anyone know a solution?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Been advised that it wont work if I change the plug or just join the wires together, cant see why it wouldnt work, though.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Ah, good, that sounds promising-cant see why it wouldnt work and that seems to prove it!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Soldered wires together and still get ABS/VDC/EBD warnings.

The plugs on the senders were round and the plugs on the car were rectangular, thats why they had to be soldered.

I ve not read anything about any problems with ABS sensors when adding Brembos, can anyone offer any advice??

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Presumably you have a pair of GTA uprights (with the ABS sensors in) and are fitting those to your normal 147.

The GTA ones are different (which is probably why the plugs are different...), so I expect you will need to remove the GTA ABS sensors and fit the correct ABS sensors for your normal 147.

101 - 120 of 374 Posts