Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a good recommendation for sourcing a lambda for my 164, when I google it there are a number to choose from but they don,t come up with a definitive part.
Bosch part no.0258986506

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm probably going to go for a UNI-FIT one as I also need a cat which they also sell. I was also looking at buying directly from Bosch in order to go for 'quality' but then I remembered that it's all the Bosch bits that make our cars go wrong in the first place!!! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
The previous owner of my 164 24valve had a Lambada sensor fitted by an Alfa main dealer last year. It cost £65 plus vat. plus 2.5 hours labour to fit. Have you tried onlineautomotive.co.uk or shop4parts.co.uk

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ihave been into onlineauto and the price seems fine excep[t it comes up with two lambdas and the only difference seems to be the lentgh of the loom. Mine are connected with a set of scew in joints which lie inside a capsule, I assume one just cuts the wires and join them that way, anyone had experience of this?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got one vfrom Motor factors with bosch connectors , will have to get male and female connectors to fit, then its secure , was not too keen on the previous fitting, which turns out was supplied as a universal alternative. So Mot soon after 2 years providing everything goes smoothly!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The previous owner of my 164 24valve had a Lambada sensor fitted by an Alfa main dealer last year. It cost £65 plus vat. plus 2.5 hours labour to fit. Have you tried onlineautomotive.co.uk or shop4parts.co.uk
which ever garage it was, conned the guy, the lambda price i've been quoted last month was £131 plus VAT! & the labour is no way 2.5hrs, it will take max 1 hrs if you have to drop the exhaust down pipes to ease access to the sensor

·
Registered
283 Posts
...the only difference seems to be the lentgh of the loom. Mine are connected with a set of scew in joints which lie inside a capsule, I assume one just cuts the wires and join them that way, anyone had experience of this?
Hang on. I took my cat out last week and it's lying in the garage. I don't remember cutting any wires to the lambda sensor! let me look in the morning and I'll post when I can tell you exactly what goes on

·
Registered
165 Posts
i also needed to replace my lambda on my 24v, i obtained one via ebay, bosch part no 0258003301, when it arrived it looked ok, i was about to install it when i noticed the one fitted already to the car had a 4 wire in-line connector, where as the supplied one has 2 sets of twin wire connectors!! after an exchange of emails in order to get the right connector setup, i finally returned it back to the supplier, a powersparks.com i think ther known as for refund. the search goes on

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those connectors are ok, you just have to make up twins for the otherside, the loom still ends up at the same place. Thats the wire loom I am connecting myself. If you want a comparison I will post and take a pic of what I am doing, probably tonight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those connectors are ok, you just have to make up twins for the otherside, the loom still ends up at the same place. Thats the wire loom I am connecting myself. If you want a comparison I will post and take a pic of what I am doing, probably tonight.
thanks for the offer of a pic, i thought it would be possible to 'cut & shut' but i was not willing to compromise already fragile 164 wiring standards by that way, it could lead to further bad connections & faulty readings

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fitted new Lambda tonight but all is not well, the light went off but 15mns later it has returned and something is upsetting it,I have tried unidiag and spent an our trying to reconnect having only connected twice , but managed to pull of some codes,I don,t understand them so here goes if anyone can.
DTC 0X22 =34
THEN AFTER CLEARING GOT
DTC 0XC8 =200
DTC 0XOA =1
There varios tyoes and conditions after each DTC if they are relevant I will post all!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Come on guys gees us a help here, does anyone have a wiring diagram of which wires join which on the four wire sensor of the 24v lambda to ecu loom which is is joined up in the engine bay just abve and between the front cyl head and the clutch slave.
At present the grey and black pair link this way grey to black (according to plug ) and black to green.
I also have the two whites which are linked below nearer the cat also one to orange/blck and one to white?
Can anyone confirm this pleeeeease?
Mot tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Come on guys gees us a help here, does anyone have a wiring diagram of which wires join which on the four wire sensor of the 24v lambda to ecu loom which is is joined up in the engine bay just abve and between the front cyl head and the clutch slave.
At present the grey and black pair link this way grey to black (according to plug ) and black to green.
I also have the two whites which are linked below nearer the cat also one to orange/blck and one to white?
Can anyone confirm this pleeeeease?
Mot tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the delay I've been flat out. All I can say is the one I just removed has two multi plugs, one with a grey wire and a black wire, the other with two white wires. Both these plugs are connected at the same area up at the front firewall panel.

After reading what you say, mine is clearly different to yours (no idea why?!) so I can't help wire it, but there are 164 wiring diagrams freely available here:
DR164 : Alfa Romeo 164 Technical Manuals to Download FREE

Near the bottom of the page they're all there although it might be in the exhaust section? I've only ever used some of the mechanical manuals and they're ok. Hope this helps.

If my sensor is the same as the one you just pulled out I can try and get it out of the cat for you or you can take the cat and the sensor?? The car is being stripped due to an engine blow up and the cat was fine.

I'm in Glasgow and we could meet half way if it suits you.

PM me if that helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Holding my breath ,but maybe for too long, the MOT is not until Monday now , so on the way there to the garage , the injection light came on not long into the journey, so hopefully the Mot will once and for all decide if its Lambda is at fault. The car goes well after its first run on the road and has plenty of guts , takes me back to realise the real reason for keeping it.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All is not lost, the MOT failed, but not on emissions, there was a slight blow just before the cat at the downpipe joint so this maybe is the cause of the injector light coming on. So this has to be addressed.
Tha main reason was a pin hole leak in a front brake flexy, was not there before your honour!Also handbrake innefficiency, so home it comes for a fix and update later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts