Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I'm collecting a GT Cloverleaf tonight from Whitequay (Reading) for a 24 hr test drive, and really, honestly, don't know what to expect from the car...

Have had a GTV 2.0TS for 6 months or so, before that have had a succession of Imprezas and a Saxo VTR (and some other non mentionable horrors) in the past .. and our other car is a Series 1 Lotus Elise (so no useful comparison there)

Whay should I expect from the car (I THINK it's the 1.9 Diesel, but not 100% sure)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a Scooby and have recently changed to a GT (diesel) and the two cars are very different. The GT is as the name sugest a grand tourer and long distance driving is great and very comfortable. The ride compared to the subaru is a little on the soft side but after lowered uprated Prodrive suspension anything will feel soft. However I do prefer the GT for my daily 120 mile commute. Oh and less trips to the petrol station!
Handling is good but I do miss the four wheel drive security on wet cornering.
Power is less but the way the GT delivers it is a lot better and more useable.

Oh and IMO the GT looks sooooo much better inside and out!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, I know when I sat in the GT at the motorshow it was one of the first ever cars that the seats were comparable to my Impreza (loved the security feeling...)

I expected it to be softer (though not sure how soft). How does it corner ? does the front push through, wallow a bit or wash out??

And I KNOW the interior will be better than Fuji Heavy Industries finest :)

Anyone else??? thoughts??? comments? feelings?? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what Iv'e read on here the Q2 is the one to go for with the LSD fitted. Mine has not got that (yet) so it would be worth checking before the test drive.:thumbs:

Have fun!:D

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
thanks for that, I know when I sat in the GT at the motorshow it was one of the first ever cars that the seats were comparable to my Impreza (loved the security feeling...)

I expected it to be softer (though not sure how soft). How does it corner ? does the front push through, wallow a bit or wash out??

And I KNOW the interior will be better than Fuji Heavy Industries finest :)

Anyone else??? thoughts??? comments? feelings?? :)
You will love it - the GT handles like a dream and you can throw it into corners and have power in bags....

Ok mine is a remapped 1.9 - but you should see in essence how well the car out performs the petrol.....:D

Chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks boys ... :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Half way through - report

I'm rather liking the GT...
it's the 1.9 Diesel (though not the trick Q2 version) in "Nero Carbonio", and is exceptionally pretty.

The engine is really good, red line (or in this car white line ..."don't do it") is at 4.5k which took a little adjustment as most cars I've owned start to be fun around 3.5-4 and then get a bit daft after 4.5 (Impreza, Lotus ) so you need to be a bit more nimble on the gear stick. Which is fine as the 6 speed box allied to this powerplant is tight, positive and gives a great flexibility for nimble acceleration when "making good progress" on a B road or effortless wafting along a motorway.

The handling isn't too bad despite the size increase over the GTV. It was never going to be as rock solidly stable as the low c.o.g AWD Impreza, but body roll is minimal and the front generally goes where you expect it. (Note.. due the the large amount of torques and the speed of delivery, I have found the front to be slightly less predictable if power is applied when there is any steering input, such as coming off a roundabout. It also tends to slip impressively if it encounters a manhole cover or other roadbased iron work, of course this is assuming the man hole covers in your area haven't been spirited away by enterprising thieves) . The ride is good, firm enough to enjoy a rolling B road, but still a comfortable relaxing place to be on a motorway.

The interior is rather nice, the red/white clocks and red LED displays are subtle, everything seems well positioned and easy to reach. The Bose ICE is excellent and the leather seats are very supportive and comfortable with a good range of adjustment.

It has useable back seats and the boot is ...well... HUGE..*

It's a really, really nice car, feels like I think a "proper" GT should, a bit of fun on twisty roads and eats up the miles on the long haul. I'd love to take one of these on a touring holiday to Scotland or the top of Italy, I think it would be completely at home..

Will I buy the Cloverleaf.... dunno... it all depends on the numbers...

Will I buy a GT within the next 4-8 months.... highly, HIGHLY likely

* in comparison to the GTV and Elise we currently run :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Caroline you should try a Q2 equipped car. This will cure the torque steer and let you go round roundabouts as though your on a fair ground ride!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul, I had a sneaky feeling that this might be the case... it will... as ever...come down to money :rolleyes:

I've mentally filed it as a "characteristic" in the same way you feather the throttle on the Elise coming out of corners/roundabouts in the wet else you go through like a fair ground ride *

*the waltzers :( :eek:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...I caved.....GT Cloverleaf being picked up next Friday

·
Administrator
87,631 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Red and non Q2

Pics will no doubt follow

·
Administrator
87,631 Posts
The GT does look good in Red :)

Bet you can't wait till Friday :lol:

You went for the Diesel ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The GT does look good in Red :)

Bet you can't wait till Friday :lol:

You went for the Diesel ?
Well , the test drive car was black, which looked mean as hell, but shows dirt and scratches.... the blue is gorgeous (first Cloverleaf I've seen on the road was the blue....) but I wanted an Alfa that was Alfa red.... :D

very excited... and yes, the 150BHP non Q2 oil burner...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
congrats on your new purchase :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Congrat's, great car with fantastic on-road presence.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Well done on your choice of car and colour....i've had mine since Aug' 08 and i'm getting used to it and loving it....
Having not driven a Q2 version i can only say that i have experienced a fair bit of front wheel slip when pulling off quickly at an island in the wet...i guess after RWD it's just a learning curve issue....
Hope you enjoy yours when you get it.....:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had mine now for just over 6 weeks and after the impreza I prefer the GT to drive.
Good choice !! Great colour too..

Friday can't come quick enough! eh?

Enjoy!:thumbs:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had mine now for just over 6 weeks and after the impreza I prefer the GT to drive.
Good choice !! Great colour too..

Friday can't come quick enough! eh?

Enjoy!:thumbs:
nope...roll on Friday..

and I PLAN to enjoy :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts