Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I researched this heaps and couldn't find a definitive answer on this topic. So I thought I should share my experience and let you know that it CAN be done.

I took a gamble and put 235/45/17 on my standard teledials and, although very close, it can be done.

My car has stock suspension and I put dunlop direzza star spec Z1 tyres that are actually 242mm wide. I have been for a number of very spirited drives and have zero rubbing.
Also...I cannot recommend these tyres any more! So much grip for relatively little cost. (you need to get the 235 to meet the load rating for the 147)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Great !

I remember I put 205/15/60 Sticky Yokohama tyres on my Alfetta GTV when I was a kid when the wheels were only 185/15/70 !

Wouldnt recomend it nowadays but back then when your a kid you dont know any better :lol:

The Wider rubber Totally transfromed the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No rubbing on full lock maneuvers at all and no rubbing on tight (high speed) corners. Lucky our full lock is pathetic, or else it might have been an issue lol.
I used chalk when I first had them fitted because it was very close and the angle of the closest component meant that it was very hard to see and it showed that there was no rubbing. Also just a reminder that the 235/45/17 direzzas are actually 242mm wide whereas the 225/45 pirellis I have used in the past are 225mm exactly (I assume the 235/45 pirellis are 235mm wide as well)

·
Registered
43 Posts
By coincidence I have just started a thread on Ausalfa asking whether other 147 GTA owners had fitted 235/45/17 tyres to their teledials. Someone suggested that it may have been discussed on Alfaowner and yes here it is.

I am about to fit two new rear tyres after having a blowout of one of the Maragoni Mythos tyres on the freeway (put on by the previous owner - not my choice).

Thanks for your findings and I will pass them on to the Ausalfa users.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's wrong on both counts. Wider does not mean greater contact patch, and greater contact patch does not mean better grip.
Thanks Alexandrus. I agree and have modified my post.

I also read on Tirerack that the rim width controls the tyre section width. So I'm not sure how much "wider" a 235/45/17 tyre would be over say the same brand 225/45/17 tyre on the same 7.5" rim (if at all). It may just give a taller, bulgier tyre sidewall with more flex and no change in contact patch. Do you have any thoughts on this?

G

·
Well, it's hard to say, every tyre is different, depending on brand and model. But what I can say is that the ride will be more comfortable with 235 and the rim will have more side protection ;)
However, just for looks, I would keep the 225 tyres on a 7.5" wide rim. Makes the rim look bigger :D
235 wide tyres become necessary on 8"+ wide rims at least in terms of rim protection. I have some 8x18 wheels on my car and their edges are fubar, they are in desperate need of reconditioning. I I only drive the car in weekends and am very careful about scratching the rims, so...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for those comments.

I have decided to stay with 225/45/17 in the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. They are good value-for-money at the moment now that the F1 Asymmetric is the top Goodyear tyre.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts