Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F/L 3.0 sporto 166 is currently shod with Pirelli Rosso 235/40 18s (which I think is the original type fitted).

The fronts are now down to around 2.5mm which is the point at which I normally replace tyres. They've done around 15k miles on the front after about 5k miles on the back, which I think is pretty good.

I'm normally an "original fitment only" sort of person, but with the Rossos at around £180 per corner, I might be open to alternatives.

Has anyone out there used different 235/40 18s? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Ive always used eagle F1s - gone to Avon now - better ride, look good and they last longer and good grip for daily fastish driving!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My F/L 3.0 sporto 166 is currently shod with Pirelli Rosso 235/40 18s (which I think is the original type fitted).

The fronts are now down to around 2.5mm which is the point at which I normally replace tyres. They've done around 15k miles on the front after about 5k miles on the back, which I think is pretty good.

I'm normally an "original fitment only" sort of person, but with the Rossos at around £180 per corner, I might be open to alternatives.

Has anyone out there used different 235/40 18s? Any suggestions?
Check out Marangoni tyres (Kwik Fit are the uk supplier) they are Italian tyres for Italian cars.
They have been reviewed and tested by Auto Italia magazine. I have them on my 159 and they are great, just as much grip as the previous Bridgestones and look good too. Time will tell how quick they wear but after 5000miles they still look like new. They also have a lifetime guarantee against punctures and defects.:)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Careful this the guarantee business tho. The tyre may not let you down itself but if a nail made the hole in the tyre - would that still be covered?

Marangoni Tyre

They look smart tho :)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
To guarantee our tyres for life means we have to be very confident in our products.
Our company obtained the ISO 9001:2000 certification for its quality system, but, more importantly for us, our tyres are signed off by the most critical team in the world,''Team Marangoni''.
We guarantee them for forever, not only against possible manufacturing defects but also against any possible accidental damage during normal road use.
So, when you choose Marangoni, you choose not just a tyre but also peace of mind

Interesting :) - must be some catch? So will they replace if I skid and take a chunk out of my tyre? - Sounds good that does.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have Continental ContiSportContact 3 in that size on my summer wheels. Happy with them so far. As mentioned they score very well in tests.

Are Continental tyres simply the best? Their ContiWinterContact winter tyre also score highest in the tests I've seen. And I've never heard anything bad about Continental tyres.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi N
Have you checked out mytyres.co.uk ? they have a wide selection and also reviews on each tyres done on some german website... If you don't buy from their prices can be a negotiation point to get discount from kwik fit et al..
Dare i say it but i got Hankooks Venus V12s for the 18s on my 166 which have been okay and have been well reviewed on mytyres.co.uk but to be honest can't compare with a premium tyre on these wheels as have yet to change them...
I've costco discount if you want michelins??
Cheers Johnnie

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Johnnie. COSTCO! You surely can't expect a gentleman of my quality to be seen in a Cash & Carry. A scandalous suggestion. Whatever next?

I dont think that Marangoni do my size.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I usually get my tyres through camskill.co.uk. I had michelin hp primacy on my last 166, were ok but not as good as the previous dunlop sp01's, they were all 215/55/16. I've just put 4 new falken ze912 (235/40/18) on my Ti and been good so far, no worse than the pirelli rossos that were on there and nearly half the price with the current offer on.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks chaps. Have checked out Camskill and MyTyre, very handy. If I don't use them, I can at least use their pricing as a marker when negotiating with my local independent retailer (with as many cars as I run, they usually treat me well).

& just in case anyone gets the wrong idea about CARAVANS, mine's a blinged-up gypsy caravan with chrome and chandeliers. All in the best possible taste of course. I never tow it (I have a man to do that) as it needs a 3.5 tonner to pull it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just couldn't do it.

I looked at other tyres, but I just couldn't do it. So 2 new (heavy duty!) Pirelli Rosso 235/40 18s it is.

Less expensive than I had feared at £162 each fitted & balanced (my usual local supplier, on line providers didn't seem cheaper at all).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts