Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - pulled from the 19" thread.............
I was talking to a fellow owner who also had the Horsehoes fitted who has put 225/40 18 Falkens on his - Not only do they grip well in all weathers but they alot cheaper (sub £100) plus he swears theres less noise and not as much tram-lininng............They fit fine?

Just wanted to check these would be OK as I'm getting some fronts this afternoon and can get 225 Vredesteins for £100?!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump......getting the tyres fitted this afternoon - do I go 225's or the standard 235's? Would the 225's affect anything detramentally?

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Bump......getting the tyres fitted this afternoon - do I go 225's or the standard 235's? Would the 225's affect anything detramentally?
Check with your insurance company.

I doubt you'll notice any difference, except in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Get the 235's don't give the insurance company any reason to pay out should you be unfortunate in having a claim, I've got the 235x45x18 Vredesteins on my Brera (£120 each) I'm pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Would they really not cough up for an car with slightly smaller tyres on?!
Put it this way a few years ago I had a 5 month old car with less than 5000 miles on the clock that got hit by a runaway car. The insurance assessor came out and measured the tyre thread depth of my car even though it had only done 5000 miles.

I wouldn't take the risk.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well **** it - went for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas' 225/40 18's and lovin' them already even if its only because of the large GIUGIARO DESIGN imprint on the sidewall that matches the wing badge! :cool: Will let you know how they perform.....

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
If the std size is 235/45R18 then 225/40R18 is FAR too small (32mm too small in diameter...) plus they won't be strong enough.

225/40R18 are the correct size for a 156/147/GT though, but not for a 159/Brera.

With the wrong size tyres, you have no valid insurance... :tut:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Can only echo what the others have said.

You have completely the wrong size tyres on the car - its not a good idea.

Do you have the XL rated ones - as that is also required on the Brera/159.

You have no valid insurance and in the worst case scenario are risking a blowout or some other nastiness.

Not aimed specifically at you, but I cant believe people scrimp and save so much on their tyres, especially on such an expensive and reasonably powerful car.

For 20quid extra a corner you could have fitted the correct ones????

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Whats the point in taking risks with tyres, I've had 2 235x45x18XL Vredesteins fitted today for £240 all in.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
If they are 98Y rated then I do not think a mega issue although I would not have gone for 40 profiles:eek: , I had thought 45 profiles was what was being considered!

Anyway - The points that I had put on the 19" Ti thread suggested increasing width to save money. I woyld not want to decrease the amount of rubber on the road!

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
225/40R18 will not be a 98Y.
They will be around a 92Y XL...
The car is only a 1.9 JTD though.. Not exactly the heaviest car in the world. If it was a 3.2 Q4 then I would be scared for him too, but the thing only weighs 1500kg or so, load up a GTA SW with 4 people and some luggage and you'll see 1600kg, and they'll probably be riding on 92Y XL tyres too..

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
From my Brera handbook - 2.2 has 215/55 R16 93V as standard 2.4 & 3.2 have 225/50/17 98W as standard with 235/45/R18 98W as an option for all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK guys you got me worried so I have switched to 235/45 Vreds'.....I can honestly say thought I felt zero loss in tyre performance.......

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
...I can honestly say thought I felt zero loss in tyre performance.......
You probably would not feel any difference until they failed...!
There is a big difference between the safe loading of the two sizes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts