Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I own a 156 1.9JTDm 16V which has factory sports suspensions and the multispokes. Tyres on the manual are rated at 215/45 ZR 17 W. I got some Uniroyals with those specs from its previous owner.

I'm interested in moving to the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's as they are very well rated for all weather. The problem is that this tyre does not come in this size.

I've read that fitting 225/45 ZR 17 94 Y XL should not cause any issues.

If I recall correctly the GTA comes with 225's...

David C is a well reputed member on here and left this comment on a similar subject however there was no further discussion on this and I'm still in doubt. Here is the link. Click here

I would like to further discuss this issue with the Ultrac Sessanta's. What implications would there be if I fit them?

·
Registered
30,365 Posts
There have been a few discussions since then.
156 are ok and GT too I think, but there are clearance issues on 147.

You should be ok providing you change all four. Don't run 215/45 on one end and 225/45 on the other!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I have 225s on factory multispokes (ET 40.5) and with Eibach springs. Very occasionally I've had the rears touching the liners but only with a load and when hitting a dip at speed. It did help getting the Eibach ARB as it did touch more when cornering, but that was more to do with the weight of the 20v than anything else.

You will find the ride is a bit softer with the 225 compared to the 215.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually one other query if you guys don't mind. What psi would I have to apply to the 225s? Is it still 32psi on all fours?

·
Registered
30,365 Posts
Actually one other query if you guys don't mind. What psi would I have to apply to the 225s? Is it still 32psi on all fours?
Latest manual had 2.4Bar (35PSI) front & rear for normal loads with 206/55R16 or 215/45R17.
(2.6Bar (38PSI) front & rear for full loads)

I'd use the same for 225/45R17.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have 17" 156 GTA multi-spokes with 225/45 on a 147 which is lowered 30mm on eibach pro kit springs and have no clearance issues.

Being the GTA multi-spokes they do have a different offset though so that they could clear the Brembos, so maybe that is the reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you're right I actually apply 35 myself but everyone remains amazed when I give them that figure... well it's in the manual so I'm good. I'll let you know when I get them fitted in a couple of weeks (waiting for the paycheck :)). Many thanks!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Also just check that the inside of the tyres dont rub on the suspension upright, its very close clearance with 40.5mm offset wheels and I think some 225/45 tyres do just touch as not all tyres are the same size.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Also just check that the inside of the tyres dont rub on the suspension upright, its very close clearance with 40.5mm offset wheels and I think some 225/45 tyres do just touch as not all tyres are the same size.
I had 225's on mine, Toyo Proxies were fine, but Goodyear Eagle F1's rubbed on the rear wheels, the goodyears actually rubbed on the outside on the bodywork

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well let's hope the vreds have clearance then :/ it's gonna cost me around 600 euros to get them so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys, just got them fitted, so far have felt a much better ride, will be testing for grip and any clearance issues as I get some miles done. I will let you know! :)

G

·
I've read that fitting 225/45 ZR 17 94 Y XL should not cause any issues.
Is the above exactly what you fitted then ? If so, I am suprised that you think the ride has improved.

First thing I notice is the load index is 94 compared to the OE value of 87. With previous cars I have found that fitting the OE index after have higher ones improved the ride noticeably.

Secondly, same experience with XL tyres after going back to OE standard tyres ie. the XL add too much stiffness to the suspension unless they are OE specified to work with the OE suspension ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have 225's on the back of my 1.9 JTD mjet and 215's on the front... i questioned this before and heard due to the diesel lump being heavy, the front end couldnt take 225's due to them rubbing on the suspension.

225's on the back are fine and having different tyre sizes front to back doesnt seem a problem.

I imagine different tyre sizes left to right would cause lots of problems and should never be done.

Some 225's have a nice wide rubber rim and protect the Alloy from kerbing too... if i could id go 225 all over.

·
Registered
30,365 Posts
...having different tyre sizes front to back doesnt seem a problem.
Wider rear tyres on a FWD car is never the best route to take!

And also the ABS won't be functioning as well as it could because of the different diameter tyres front-rear.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
On a GT, OE spec is 215 section tyres for all models except the 3.2 on a 17" rim. XL and the increased load index indicates that the tyre can take a heavier load with an increased tyre pressure, so keeping the pressures as stock should be right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts