·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I currently have the following tires on my G
225 / 45R17 Pirelli P7 AR, with rims 17 "7.5 ET41
(1.4 MA 170 TCT update 2015)

I am satisfied with these tires, but I was still wondering to fit tires with the following dimensions on the same rims: 205 / 50R17.
The outline is only a little bit bigger

I would mainly do this to have even less noise on the highway, consumption will probably decrease slightly, and comfort will increase slightly.

Would there be a big difference in driving behavior, road holding or wear??

In the past, the size 205 / 50R17 was used very little, but I noticed that this size, is used much more in the latest car models...

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
205 tyres will look stretched on 7.5" rims but are at the narrowest end of what is legal.

They will also be around the same rolling radius as the 50 is a percentage of the width.

I don't think it will give you much if any benefit compared to the standard size personally, and you will have less grip, less rim protection and the tyres will cost more to start with.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Maybe it would be better to just swap the manufacturer and to keep the tyre size. I really like the Eagle Asymetric F1s on my pre face lift 166 (which has the same tyre size) these tyres are really smooth rollers....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Personally I would stick with same size tyre,as for the asymmetric F1 I am not so sure about.
I have them up front on mine grip and road holding is good but at motorway speed they are very noisy. Had Michelin pilots removed and they were so much quieter.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
205 tyres will look stretched on 7.5" rims but are at the narrowest end of what is legal.
The law does not come into it (bar informing your insurance of non standard tyres...which we all would do of course!).
Even those stupid looking stretched tyres you see on "Euro look" modified cars are perfectly legal and pass the MOT if the beads are correctly seated. This is the MOT tester advice on the matter....just an advise (minor as its now known) at worst.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
I beg to differ, just because the MOT tester might pass and advise doesn't mean that they are legal. Using dangerously incorrect tyre and rim combinations is against construction and use regulations.

As for telling the insurance company, yes you should do but in most cases as long as you fit a standard size and of correct load rating they won't class it as a modification. Same with going from runflat to non runflat etc. I went down this very route with my BMW when i got rid of the runcraps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No reason why you couldn't fit 205/50 tyres, they'll fit fine on a 7.5 in wheel.

But as above, there may be other issues with fitting a non standard size such as informing the insurance company.

If you're more interested in economy than performance it might be worth searching out a more fuel efficient 'eco' tyre in the standard 225 45 which may be cheaper than a 205 50 version.

225 45 is one of the most common and therefore cheapest 17in tyres with a huge range of makes and designs.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
I would recommend Goodyear Efficientgrip performance as a good value quiet eco tyre that still has good handling and grip qualities. They are a bit soft to be a performance tyre, but for general road use they are spot on.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Maybe it would be better to just swap the manufacturer and to keep the tyre size. I really like the Eagle Asymetric F1s on my pre face lift 166 (which has the same tyre size) these tyres are really smooth rollers....
My Mito goes (good) with Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2s, albeit its 215/40R18. They are quite smooth and not so harsh than the before mountet PZeroNeros.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would recommend Goodyear Efficientgrip performance as a good value quiet eco tyre that still has good handling and grip qualities. They are a bit soft to be a performance tyre, but for general road use they are spot on.
I agree. Just fitted 4 to my G (225/40/18), only £75 a corner. Had them on my Jag as well. Even pushing quite hard, never had one break-away. Underrated in my view. Probably due to the name not having "Race" or "Sport" or "RZ-t7K" etc in it.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
One thing is for sure a narrower tyre isn't always quieter. There are too many other factors involved.

My current Uniroyal rainsport 5's (On the bimmer) are quite noisy and I would swap them for a set of Goodyears or Dunlops in a heartbeat. Not one of my best purchases.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi
I currently have the following tires on my G
225 / 45R17 Pirelli P7 AR, with rims 17 "7.5 ET41
(1.4 MA 170 TCT update 2015)

I am satisfied with these tires, but I was still wondering to fit tires with the following dimensions on the same rims: 205 / 50R17.
The outline is only a little bit bigger

I would mainly do this to have even less noise on the highway, consumption will probably decrease slightly, and comfort will increase slightly.

Would there be a big difference in driving behavior, road holding or wear??

In the past, the size 205 / 50R17 was used very little, but I noticed that this size, is used much more in the latest car models...
I'm using 205/50R17 in winter. I have alo ran 215/50R17 and 225/45R17 in summer You would be hard pressed to notice benefits with noise or consumption. Biggest difference is the lighter tyres make the car feel more nimble and the steering lighter but you do give up a slight bit of cornering and braking capability. I got narrower tyres to dig through snow better and get to the surface underneath. Of course, they haven't really had to dig through snow yet in the 5 years i have them and did very well the one time there was more snow underneath the snow... So next set will be 235/45R17.

For less noise get a quieter tyre. For less consumption get a low rolling resistance tyre. For more comfort stay away from UHP tyres.

The P7 cinturato came on my car when new, and i have found they could be perfectly quiet on smooth asphalt and hellishly loud on concrete. The Hankook Ventus Prime2 (215 wide) was never as guiet as the P7 on asphalt and not as loud on concrete. The crossclimates for winter are fairly quiet except over ridges and potholes. The quietest so far are the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 both in 225/45R17 and 235/45R17 but they arent as comfortable as the Pirelli or Michelin.

Haven't tried the above mentioned Goodyears, but I concur the tyre width isnt the dominant factor in noise production inside the car. Some tyres come with a foam insert to dampen the rolling air pressure waves inside the tyre which are a majour source of noise, so have a look whats available there. I have seen them on a Goodyear all season tyre.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Forgot to add, the lowest consumption figures I ever had was on the factory Pirelli P7. 3.6l/100km but I was definitely trying. Managed it a few times over the same trip too so wasn't a fluke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts