Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at next set of tyres moving to the 225 instead of the 215/45. They are listed in the manual as being fitted to the 3.2V6 mmodel however I have a couple of concerns.

1- The manual lists the Pirelli Pzero rosso and Bridgestone (?) as being the only ones in 225/45 17 certified for use and only on this model

2- My current wheels are ET35, and will likely put my 17" teledials back on however there does not seem to be much clearance currently between the suspension strut and the tyre. I fear that changing to this size will present problems. Is this the case

3- Has anyone made this change and was there really much difference? Only reason is that 225 seems a bit easier to find than 215 and quite fancied the tiny bit of extra sidewall height to help ride quality

My fears are simply that by the 225 seemingly not being approved for use on my car I introduce insurance implications. Also am unsure as to whether they clear the suspension and also will they improve the car in any way at all??

Thanks in advance

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
What car/version? GT with what engine?

What wheels - what width are they?

:)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Stick one of the wheels/tyres on each end and look how much clearance there is between the tyre and suspension and the tyres and the bodywork.

A 225 is just 10mm wider than the 215s but crucially that's only 5mm closer to the suspension (the other 5mm is closer to the wheel arch lip). If you have anything more than an inch (25mm) of clearance on the suspension side, it's not a problem.

The bodywork is a different matter. The suspension can end up compressed and on full lock in certain circumstances (turning sharply facing downhill) where the tyre might interfere with the wheel arch liners etc. You need to get hold of someone with the same wheel offset/tyre combination and have a look how much clearance they have.

If your wheels have less offset (stick out more) than your "someone's"... then they may rub on full lock. You can increase the offset by removing any spacers etc, if you have a slim OE one in there, for example.

If the rub isn't all that much, you may be able to re-educate the wheel arch liner by heating it with a hot air gun and pressing it in with a jar or something to stretch/remould it slightly where the tyre gets intimate.

Insurance shouldn't make a fuss if you don't fit Pirelli or Bridgestone.. since most cars on the road don't have the "recommended" tyres and I never heard of anyone objecting to paying a claimm on those grounds..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are potentially going on a set of 17" GTV Teledials. Once I get my finger out and get them repainted. By my - rough - checking there is a finger width between the front suspension and the existing 215/45 tyre hence my worries.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
The GTV Teledials will sit 5mm further out than your GT wheels.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
If it's any help I run 225/45 x 17 Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on a 156 with ET 40.5 wheels on Eibach springs. There is clearence (just) on the uprights, I've never experienced rubbing, but then not all tyres are the same; that's one reason why I'm reluctant to change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
I have been running 225's of various different makes Toyo, Hankook etc on my Gt for more than 3 years and have had no problems at all. I am using the standard 17" multispoke rims and the grip and ride is fantastic:)
They are easier to get hold of and in some cases actually cheaper than the 215's.
Hope this helps your decision.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hi,
I have been running 225's of various different makes Toyo, Hankook etc on my Gt for more than 3 years and have had no problems at all. I am using the standard 17" multispoke rims and the grip and ride is fantastic:)
They are easier to get hold of and in some cases actually cheaper than the 215's.
And don't forget the smoother ride!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
Are they the rims that came with the GT? I want to go the 225 route, But was worried about sidewall clearance on full spring compression. Have you had any uneven (inner edge) wear problems with the wider 225's, I can't imagine there would be, no worse than you might get anyway with wearing upper arm wishbones. On my third set of these after 6 years, hence my wish to soften the ride with the deeper (.45 cm) and wider 225s.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
If it's any help I run 225/45 x 17 Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on a 156 with ET 40.5 wheels on Eibach springs. There is clearence (just) on the uprights, I've never experienced rubbing, but then not all tyres are the same; that's one reason why I'm reluctant to change.
I did change, now on 225/45 x 17 Goodyear F1 Asymmetic 2 on the same wheels. More clearence and less rubbing of the liners - and tons more grip!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Falcon tyres have a rounded shoulder which will reduce the problem of rubbing the arches, fantastic grip, but they wear really quickly, I had some on my old ST200 and they were worn out in less than 7k miles.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi,

Are they the rims that came with the GT? I want to go the 225 route, But was worried about sidewall clearance on full spring compression.
Ive got standard GT 17" on a B12 kit (although I can't see what difference that would make from standard suspension) and reaching of the top of my 215/45/17 (Bridgestone RE050) I can just get the tip of my middle finger (but not the knuckle) in the gap between the tyre and the hub upright just below the upper wishbone balljoint, and I haven't got fat fingers.

I'd be extremely worried about putting 225/45/17 tyres on, although I'd like to. What's the width of a finger... 1cm? Taking 5mm off that would make the gap too close for comfort for me.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well, as I'd has advisories for 3 of the 4 tyres at the last MOT and the 4th also close I decided to take a leap of faith.

Previously had Bridgestone RE050 215/45/17 but decided on 225/45/17 Dunlop SP Sports having read good things about the in the forum. As mentioned above there's precious little room between the hub upright and the inner edge of the tyre at the 12 O'Clock position, I can't get my finger in there, however looking at this photo there seems to be plenty of room.

225-45-17.jpg

The local firm also do 4 wheel alignment, here's the printout....

4 Wheel.jpg

...doesn't make much sense to me, is 0degrees 10minutes close enough to 0...and is 0 degrees 28 minutes close enough to 3mm toe-in as recommended for the Bilstein B12 kit, 'cause that's what I asked for.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
...is 0degrees 10minutes close enough to 0...and is 0 degrees 28 minutes close enough to 3mm toe-in as recommended for the Bilstein B12 kit, 'cause that's what I asked for.
Well, when you went in you had 0deg 2minutes front toe-out, when you left you had 0deg 10minutes toe-out.
In short, they have moved it further away from your requested setting on the front... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, Recenlty got around to putting on 225s, I took the plunge for the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric. First I replaced upper and lower wishbones on the front, uppers were shot (again) and lowers had a little slack in the big bushing. The set of four was nearly as cheap as the uppers alone on fleabay. Anyway, banged on the new tyres, my fiitter was full of praise for the F1, said they rarely require balancing as they are so well made, (three of them didn't) so that was a good start. I was a bit anxious, as the F1 225s were more than 10mm wider than the incumbent Falcon 215s, more like 22mm wider, so the clearance on the inside reduced by 11mmm, leaving just 5mm. Phew. A couple of weeks on the road now and the results are astounding. The extra width, depth and the F1 tyre itself all combine to transform the ride. Bad roads produce only half the clunk and rattle previously experienced, grip and cornering is amazing, especially in the wet, and road noise is drastically reduced. I literally couldn't believe the difference on the motorway at 120km (75 mph). A guy in a Tiida drew alongside, and the noise of his chariot was deafening through my windows, so quiet was it inside (no Tiida jokes please). I wouldn't have noticed this before, so I'm assuming both tyre brand and the up in size have caused this. Due to suspension renewal I have to get the tracking done so I'm limiting driving till then, though it seems straight as an arrow. Probably the best upgrade you can do to a GT, at least with these tyres. Oh yea, fuel economy is better, even allowing for the fact that the MPG meter reads 5% lower due to the diameter increase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 225/45 r17 on my Alfa 147 JTD 16v with factory 17" rims and back tires rub against the shocks in some situations. I think about putting some wheel spacers 5-10 mm. Ride is more comfortable, grip is insane but the steering is not as sharp as it was with old Bridgestone Potenza 215/45 r17.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I've got 17 inch GT Star design wheels on a 147. Think the GT wheels sit further out (More poke) from the archs and have run 225 and 215 tyres and never had an issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts