Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just had this 220k 156 in for an alternator and some other bits and bobs so I thought I would make a post with some pics as we are all really impressed with the car. Despite its 220k it drives beautifully, it is seriously quick for a 2.5 (nice and worn in!) and sounds great. It is in great order all round and we are looking forward to it hitting 300k!

Check out the pictures of the aux pulleys, especially the tensioner to see how worn they are!!! It has literally worn a groove of a few mm!!!!

Brilliant! :thumbs:

Loz

Attachments

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Brilliant.
Although V type engines do give the crank a little bit of an easier life.

Thats a very worn pulley. Is that an original or one thats been replaced periodically with new service items?

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The V6 engines are definitely stronger than the Twin Sparks; it is just great to see someone keeping it going! Just goes to show if you use a car regularly it keeps everything working nicely. I have seen 70k cars in a far worse state! The pulleys are all original items as far as we are aware! All the bearings were very dry too.

Just a note current owner has had the car since 30k!

L

·
0 Posts
If i am right that's a members car on here, hope mine lasts as many miles i'm on half of that!!

And the white 156's are the best :)

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i am right that's a members car on here, hope mine lasts as many miles i'm on half of that!!

And the white 156's are the best :)
It does look good in white - are rare sight too. I do think they are a member on here yes.

There is no reason why yours won't soldier on as long as you change the timing belt at the correct intervals and make sure the belt, 2 idlers, tensioner and the waterpump is done each time as to be honest broken timing belts is what has killed most of them off.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Oil / Filters / Cambelts

Changing the oil and filter one of the easiest jobs actually prolongs the life of an engine. Or least gives it less of an excuse for a mechanical bearing failure.

I've always changed mine at half the intervals that are recommended for Oil and filter on all my cars.
Takes about 30mins and is hardly difficult with some basic tools.

Cambelts I plan at changing at around the 24K mark. mainly becasue they are easy on the 1.6 and cheap to do. So why not do them a bit more often. Takes a good few hours but again. Once you've done it once its pretty easy to do on your own with some basic tools.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is that the one that was in on the weekend with the red leather?
If so it looks even better in the flesh and definitely doesn't look like its done that many miles!

L

·
0 Posts
It does look good in white - are rare sight too. I do think they are a member on here yes.

There is no reason why yours won't soldier on as long as you change the timing belt at the correct intervals and make sure the belt, 2 idlers, tensioner and the waterpump is done each time as to be honest broken timing belts is what has killed most of them off.

Mines papered, spent almost twice as much on her as i bought her for in just less than a year!! :lol:

I have reason to suspect you are slightly biased! :tut:

:D
Very!!!! :cheese:

K

·
0 Posts
just sold my old SW 2.5 with 195,000miles on it. was tempted to take it over 200k before selling.
still pulls like a train and uses no fluids :cool:

far better choice than a ts for the 156, the extra spent on pouring oil into a ts offsets the slightly better mpg, so they cost about the same to run :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts