Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got a bit of wobble at 2k rpm on higher gears, so cant drive economical.
Looks like intermediate shafts spider and " cup" worn. ePer shows that cup is sepperate, but doesnt give part number. Or do i have to get new spider and driveshaft.
Has anyone changed driveshafts? From all the driveshaft pics it looks like the "cup" is part of driveshaft and not seperate item. Can i change the spider without dropping gearbox oil?
156 20v and 159 20v driveshaft setup is nearly the same ( eper).
cheers

PS. I know its the wrong forum, but 159 one is not very helpfull. Maybe because the 159 not very old and not many has been taking them apart.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Jamie porter is pretty good at supplying bits for the 156 20v that you can't get from alfa separately. A guy I know just rebuilt the shafts on his 156 20v using bits supplied by him. Perhaps he can help you with your 159 as Alfa just want to sell you a full shaft :(

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for info. I want to try just spider joint first, you can get it from shop4parts. CV joints seems fine, havent raised car yet to have a good look. I dont have any holidays left, so i cant be without a car.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
you may need the cup aswell if the tripod is worn, putting a new tripod on without a new cup can end up wrecking the tripod within weeks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a poke around and spider joint boot had been fixed with cable tie and there is no grease left. boot has come loose. So it looks like i need to get new diferential shaft with new spider and boot. And new gearbox oil.
159 are built solid, lower wishbone is huge, so is everything. arb bushes would take 30 mins to replace.
The only downside - there is a lot of torx head bolts. WHYYYYY?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to alfa dealership in nottingham and they can only sell full driveshaft for 550 quid. :eek: Had a poke around net and buypartsbuy are selling driveshafts( reman) for less than half of that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I may well be wrong but I seem to remember that the buypartsbuy shafts are not for the complete shaft. Might be worth checking first before buying.

Keith

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gangerlv, it wouldn't do any harm to repack the joint with grease. it won't reverse any damage done, but it could delay the inevitable until you can source replacement parts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Took her to a garage today to get driveshaft replaced, but they rang me and said thats its fine, just dry. Repacked with grease and replaced cable ties with metal ones. And after test drive they noticed that steering rack is knocking sometimes, had a dig around - rack bolts were loose :)
Got her back - no wobble and no knocking steering rack :) All in £100, not bad.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Update. Took her to a garage today to get driveshaft replaced, but they rang me and said thats its fine, just dry. Repacked with grease and replaced cable ties with metal ones. And after test drive they noticed that steering rack is knocking sometimes, had a dig around - rack bolts were loose :)
Got her back - no wobble and no knocking steering rack :) All in £100, not bad.
well diagnosed by garage ..makes a change hey :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts