Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to cleanout the EGR valve shortly and was wondering if anybody on here has any pictures of where it is and how to do the process. Tried the search function but gave up.

Cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
As you are looking at the engine, the EGR valve is situated to the right of the inlet manifold near the throttle body. It is bolted to the manifold with 4 10mm long bolts and the gas pipe is fitted to the valve with 2 6mm alen key bolts. The electrical connector is grey and has a sliding yellow tab on it. Slide the tab back and then the connector should come off. CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE GASKETS DOWN THE BACK OF THE ENGINE. Spray some brake and clutch cleaner into the valve and leave it to soak. I advise not to use any form of grease or oil as the carbon deposits will stick to it and block the valve. Any way have fun......

·
Registered
822 Posts
I did this last year on my 20V and can confirm its the same procedure as on the 1.9's. I found I also had a lot of additional cleaning around the inlet manifold where it bolts onto. There are some vanes to direct the exhaust gases and mine were very gunked up. It did mean I had a bit of extra dismantling as I had to remove the vacuum operated inlet flap to get access with the cleaning stuff.

Keith

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
You should also clean the MAP sensor, this is screwed to the inlet manifold just to the left of the EGR with a single torque screw, maybe a T20. Be careful not to damage the electrical connections.

You need 10mm socket (exhaust pipe) and 8mm spanners / sockets to remove the EGR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts