Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I need a bit of urgent help with the removal of the driveshaft end cup from the gearbox diff on a 20V jtd with the six speed GM box. I need to get the whole lot away tomorrow so that it can be reconditioned but I don't want to damage anything. It does look like a lever off job but I might be missing something....

I have the Alfa manual on disk but it shows a 10V driveshaft with a bolted flange on the inner end! Any info on removal would be appreciated.

The rest of the drive shaft is off. I have done this job on a regular basis as the boot kept on splitting so I am quite good at it now! The joint is now getting noisy so it is time to replace it and as Alfa do not supply the inner CV on its own I am having the driveshaft reconditioned by Driveshafts UK.

Thanks in advance - hopefully.

David

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked on the Vauxhall VXR site - same box - and confirmed that it is a simple lever out job. Applied a bit more effort and out it came.

Job done!

·
Registered
381 Posts
so will your drive shafts be stronger than before once you have had them reconditioned rather than been made of soft cheese and do you mind me asking the cost of the recon'

cheers

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Steviec

I have been quoted £70 for the inner joint. The outer appears to be fine but they will check it out for me. They are standard Alfa ones and last fine as long as the boots are in one piece and they have plenty of grease!

I have promised a good recommendation on the Alfa sites if he does a good job! Happy to post the total cost and what I think of the job when I get it back.

I should probably have got the offside done as well but it is quiet so far. I replaced the boot about a year ago when I spotted a small hole. The nearside CV was going through a proper Alfa CV boot every six months and a motor factor one lasted two days!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts