Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried 205/45 R16 or 195/55 R15 tyres on a TS 156 or 147?
how does it feel like?
thinking of fitting one or another into a 156 1.8 TS Veloce...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean these cause they are smaller than factory ones, 145/146 tyre size like... was interested on the impact on performance, suspension...

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I mean these cause they are smaller than factory ones, 145/146 tyre size like... was interested on the impact on performance, suspension...
Why do you want to run undersize tyres?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you want to run undersize tyres?
to get that loose feeling I get on my 146 1.6 TS. on pedal the 146 feels lighter, revier, more loose on low rpms, the 156 feels more powerfull, but «heavier» on throttle.
been comparing the gear ratio specs, on both cars and 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears have the same overall ratio (at the wheels). the only difference are the wheels size, where the 156 needs to load more fuel at the same rpm.
also I think this could improve urban cycle mpg, but that is anoher question...
made all the calculations, and changing the 156 wheels to that size will still let it get to top speed before 6500 rpm, where it achieves full power.
I am aware of the speedo changes, but I'm not worried about that...

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
They will make it accelerate a tiny bit quicker, reduce top speed, increase fuel consumption (more revs per mile) and make the ride harsher ...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
They will make it accelerate a tiny bit quicker, reduce top speed, increase fuel consumption (more revs per mile) and make the ride harsher ...
It is true saying "more revs per mile increases fuel consumption" for highway steady state driving ... I also agree with Alfizta saying the urban cycle might better its consumption as you remove rotational inertia. So it depends on your driving...

If you where able to redline with the bigger wheels, then yes it will reduce top speed, but usually the case is that wind resistance limits the car using up all the revs, sometimes falling short of the power peak... In that case the under drive wheels might be able to push over the power peak, thus actually increasing the top speed attained.

As in that clip - I have also managed to red-line with 205/50R16, but not with 225/45R18 on a slightly steeper downhill.

I say fit the smaller wheels, they are lighter :thumbup:

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
It will look silly with smaller profile tyres on standard wheels.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will look silly with smaller profile tyres on standard wheels.
that was one the reasons of my post, to look at some silly looking 156 before mine becomes one :D
would be 2 cm less in wheel radius. I suppose wouldn't be that bad...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like I said, this wheel size 205/45 R16 would still let it get to 215 km/h (theoretical speed) at 6500 rpm, so 210 km/h (real top) can be reached before 6500 rpm in 5th gear. it is way before the redline.

5th gear on the 1.6 ts 146 is magic in this point. in 5th gear top speed is reached exactly at max power rpm (6300 rpm), but then, 6 th gear is missing :)

on mpg, my point is that too low revs will increase too much fuel load, and then running at a not so efficient rpm, then less mpg. anyway, I think can workaround that by reving the gears a bit more up. I'm doing that now, and looks like it is better on mpg.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will drop the 205/45 r16 option, as the load is to small for a 156 and I have spotted an Ibiza with 205/45 r16 and they looked ridiculously small to be fair.

anyway, maybe considering a halfway option... anyone tried 205/50 r16 tyres on a 156? wheels are the same as of a 916 GTV.

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
What is so bad about the proper size?

The 195/55 R16 are slightly narrower and smaller in profile but I doubt you would notice much difference.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is so bad about the proper size?

The 195/55 R16 are slightly narrower and smaller in profile but I doubt you would notice much difference.
the more I search, specially the price, I agree that spec size is the best.
anyway, with 195s steering could be lighter, maybe...

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
the more I search, specially the price, I agree that spec size is the best.
anyway, with 195s steering could be lighter, maybe...
Steering is perfect with the correct size.
Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken...!!!!

Reactions: Chris155

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Tyres vary between pattern and manufacturer.

Some have stiffer side walls, some softer, stiffer side walls generally give lighter steering but a harsher ride.

If you want lighter steering an XL load rated tyre should have slightly stiffer side walls and give you what you are after, without you having to change sizes.

If you change sizes you should really tell your insurance company as well, so that it likely to add to your premium.

Personally I think the standard 156 steering is very good.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts