Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning a GQV TCT for about 3 weeks, it has been nothing short of brilliant. Today I used my handbrake at an long red light intersection, and absent-mindedly left it on when I put the car into D and took off. It was a good 100m of driving before I realised the handbrake was still engaged! By chance I felt the car was a bit sluggish in dynamic mode, and disengaged the handbrake.

The question begs, why is there no alerts to let the driver know the hand brake is engaged once the car is moving? My old 147 1.9 JTDm would emmit high frequency intermittent buzzer sound to alert the driver if the handbrake was engaged and the car was moving forward.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Something similar happened to me mazor, I reversed up my drive and sat there for a minute or so to cool down with the engine running, must have engaged handbrake, pressed the garage door fob and reversed into the garage, i thought it felt slow and difficult 'till I realised the handbrake was on. Damn!! I was worried, but only moved the length of the car, but all the same I felt sick afterwards, I'm over it now but worried about doing it again and more serious.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Also mazor, I was going to create a thread but will ask you, do you hear like a plasma buzz when starting off and cold? It happens when I touch the throttle, seems to go after a while of driving?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plazma buzz? not sure what that sounds like. do you mean electronic buzzing noises. Do not think there is any strange sounds when cold, except the engine seems a bit more "sewing machine" sounding when cold.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm from the days when you had to remember to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Also mazor, I was going to create a thread but will ask you, do you hear like a plasma buzz when starting off and cold? It happens when I touch the throttle, seems to go after a while of driving?
Mine does that occasionally. I assumed it was the preload braking system or similar. Been there since new.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the sensor is faulty, as the 2.0 jtd tct sure has one! and if the handbrake is engaged, the crawl function is disengaged aswell...
Hmm, maybe JTD models only get the brake alert buzzer when the car is moving and hand brake engaged. Since the torque is so strong at low revs, one can quite easily drive a jtd with the hand brake engaged and may not feel the drag.

My GQV will light up on the dash when the handbrake is engaged, but there is no audible alerts once the car is in drive and moving. If Goldmax also has the same issue with GQV, whats the chances of both of us having a faulty sensor?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine does that occasionally. I assumed it was the preload braking system or similar. Been there since new.
Since the brake pre fill ois not enabled in natural driving mode, does the noise persist when car is cold?

I really must drive my GQV cold without the stereo on, lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi,

I have a G Multiair and mine definitely beeps if I drive with the handbrake on.

Strange if only the QV doesn't have it.

Or maybe only the TCT? (Mines a manual)

Ben

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since the brake pre fill ois not enabled in natural driving mode, does the noise persist when car is cold?

I really must drive my GQV cold without the stereo on, lol

Well the noise is like an electronic buzzzing, quite loud to the ear, each time I touch the gas the noise is there, like crickets in the summer...or like plasma tv buzz. Both me and passenger can hear it, all seems ok otherwise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

I have a G Multiair and mine definitely beeps if I drive with the handbrake on.

Strange if only the QV doesn't have it.

Or maybe only the TCT? (Mines a manual)

Ben

Hmm, thanks for this info! You may have hit it right on the nail! It may be possible manual G's have the handbrake buzzer when driving with handbrake engaged, but not the TCT.

Maybe Cuore_Sportivo_155 can let us know if the G JTD with the handbrake buzzer has a manual transmission.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Hmm, maybe JTD models only get the brake alert buzzer when the car is moving and hand brake engaged. Since the torque is so strong at low revs, one can quite easily drive a jtd with the hand brake engaged and may not feel the drag.

My GQV will light up on the dash when the handbrake is engaged, but there is no audible alerts once the car is in drive and moving. If Goldmax also has the same issue with GQV, whats the chances of both of us having a faulty sensor?
I have a dash warning, but only a single beep as an audible reminder. the effect is quite noticeable though, even if the brakes aren't actually applied so you instantly know something's up.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Hmm, thanks for this info! You may have hit it right on the nail! It may be possible manual G's have the handbrake buzzer when driving with handbrake engaged, but not the TCT.

Maybe Cuore_Sportivo_155 can let us know if the G JTD with the handbrake buzzer has a manual transmission.
mines a TCT

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, that eliminates the manual gearbox and handbrake sensor buzzer theory. Think we are back to only GQV or GQV TCT has the hand brake buzzer ommited in it's spec, or both me and Goldmax's hand brake on sensor while driving buzzer is faulty...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a dash warning, but only a single beep as an audible reminder. the effect is quite noticeable though, even if the brakes aren't actually applied so you instantly know something's up.
On my GQV, I get the regular handbrake engaged dash warning light, but no audible reminder what so ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts