Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I replaced the thermostat housing with sensors today and the issue is still there. I ran it for about 3o minutes before it started to misfire and then stalled. I am stuck!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Check parameter values logged with the error code
Monitor parameters before the engine stalls
It might just be the fuel regulator or pump or filter i.e. primary cause for the code rather than a secondary cause like an injector
It behaves like a wiring fault, physical and electrical checks for the plugs, coils, injectors, fuel regulator/pump
If you think it is an injector as previously mentioned then you could try some additive first to clean them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The dealer is saying that it could be a battery issue. What is the factory cold cranking amps of the battery in the Giulietta 2015 1750i? I just remembered that the issue started right after I replaced the battery!.

·
Registered
890 Posts
This is an AGM battery which I should have bought last time. 70Ah, 760A. My EFB battery is 70Ah, 650A

1. Engine off.

12.66V . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45V . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24V . . . . . . . . . . 50%
12.06V . . . . . . . . . . 25%
11.89V . . . . . . . . . . 0%

2. Charging voltage with engine idling should be 13.5V to 14.5V
3. Ensure the engine cranking voltage is between 9.67V and 10.57V. Any less and the battery could struggle to supply sufficient power to other components.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I took the Giulietta to the Dealership this morning. They have checked all fuel circuit and came back with "no issue was found" Apparently they did not know how to proceed so the technician decided to contact Alfa Romeo headquarters but I feel like he won't because they did not take the car in after they reached a dead end. Can someone contact the dealer for me or perhaps help me with a repair manual ? I took a screen shot of the codes so you can take a look too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the fault can be anywhere in the circuit. so in a sensor, in the ecu or in the wiring. You can't rule out anything.

The ecu has a few 5V power supplies built in, but not 1 supply for each sensor. So an overload or short circuit affects all sensors on that circuit.

·
Registered
890 Posts
To diagnose this yourself you need a way to monitor and clear the error codes, that means buying MES or alfaOBD. Are all those errors still there after replacing the fuel pressure sensor ? Try to figure out which code is being logged first.

I would focus on those 3 sensor wires back to the ECM as it is only error which says short to ground. The other errors can be more easily explained by a 5V interruption.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
To diagnose this yourself you need a way to monitor and clear the error codes, that means buying MES or alfaOBD. Are all those errors still there after replacing the fuel pressure sensor ? Try to figure out which code is being logged first.

I would focus on those 3 sensor wires back to the ECM as it is only error which says short to ground. The other errors can be more easily explained by a 5V interruption.
Yes non of the codes disappeared after replacing the fuel injector pressure control sensor. Also, I replaced the thermostat housing unit because when the problem happens I disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor so I can start it back up. Unfortunately, that was not the needed repair. I am starting to think that I have a faulty ECU. Is there a way to diagnose a bad ECU ? Also, Does anyone know someone who repairs ECUs, I can take it off and send it to them to check it and repair it if needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update! I believe what’s causing the problem is the ECU getting hot. The way I figured that out. I started up the car, brought the fan and directed the air stream to the ECU. The car never stalled. Does anyone know someone that repair ECU’s I can take it off and send it. Because in the Middle East there are none.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cheaper and easier to get a used one with same part number. Shouldn't be too hard as I can see several on uk ebay.

edit:
For advice, you could try emailing alfaworkshop or autolusso in the UK. You need the original ECM repaired, cloned or replaced with a virginised identical part number (clears the EEPROM so it will initiliase new immobilizer codes to the BCM). There seems to be a fair few companies which provide this service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update! So I've been trying to figure out the issue ever since I disappeared lol. I used a huge fan and directed it to the engine to see if it would stall after 40 minutes as usual and it did not. First I suspected that it would be the ECU module and I had it checked. Then, the dealer mechanic told me to replace the High pressure fuel pump so I took it out of the engine to inspect it for damage and it was in perfect condition. Also, checked it with a multimeter the switch resistance stayed at 1.2 ohms even after it stalled as well as the voltage at 5 volts. Moreover, I checked if the pump is receiving fuel was squirting out of the inlet and outlet lines even after it stalled. Finally, I placed an ice bag on to see of the car would stall and you know it! it never stalled. So, What the hell is going on? it's receiving fuel just fuel with pressure that I could not stop with my thumb. Should I just go ahead and replaced it?

I also found out that it's operated by oil pressure. And I remembered that a few months back the oil pressure switch was leaking oil and I replaced it with an aftermarket switch. The original one pressure range was from 1.95 bar to 2.40 bar and the one I bought the had the same part number (55233423) says 2 bar, but did not mention the range. Could it be that this switch is not reading the correct oil pressure? and therefore, causing the pump to malfunction?

·
Registered
890 Posts
At this stage I'll just say this as I think we might be going down a rabbit hole.

Are you saying all those error codes re-appear within a few minutes after all being cleared ? If that is true then I doubt the oil pressure switch is the silver bullet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
At this stage I'll just say this as I think we might be going down a rabbit hole.

Are you saying all those error codes re-appear within a few minutes after all being cleared ? If that is true then I doubt the oil pressure switch is the silver bullet.
Is there a different code if we had low oil pressure ?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts