Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Are you using MES ? What parameter values does it provide with the error code ?

Ideally you want to be at least monitoring the parameters below when it won't start. The ecu might be using default values for more than just the disconnected sensor. Why else would engine suddenly start - unless coolant temp sensor is actually faulty.

coolant temperature
intake air temperature
battery voltage
engine rpm
fuel pressure

· Registered
1,014 Posts
So both sensors are for coolant temperatures. Not like you mentioned earlier about fuel injection?
I was talking rubbish. The connector you pulled off is the electronic thermostat control connector. Not sure if it can be refitted successfully.

If you're not using MES / AlfaOBD etc then it's possible there may another error code lurking which might point to the cause of the fuel pressure fluctuations. If there are no other codes then the problem is just as likely to be the fuel pump, fuel regulator etc.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
I recommend using the diagnostic software first or you could end up spending a lot of money and getting nowhere. An injector seal or a blocked injector or bad solenoid is just one of many possible causes but fancied by others who have more experience than me. I could only find one instance of P2292 and also a P0303 indicating a misfire but the thread had no resolution.

Do a search of recent thread for MES, Multiecuscan software. It has a link for the required cables that you need to connect the diagnostics port to a windows laptop. The software licence is 50 euros. Download is free from multiecuscan.net, you can play about with it in simulation mode without a licence.
Or you could go for alfaOBD which android based and might be a bit cheaper. For that you need an ELM327 bluetooth adapter (not expensive)

I think many on here have used alfa workshop, you shouldn't get any problems but did you check that they ship to saudi arabia.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Check parameter values logged with the error code
Monitor parameters before the engine stalls
It might just be the fuel regulator or pump or filter i.e. primary cause for the code rather than a secondary cause like an injector
It behaves like a wiring fault, physical and electrical checks for the plugs, coils, injectors, fuel regulator/pump
If you think it is an injector as previously mentioned then you could try some additive first to clean them.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
This is an AGM battery which I should have bought last time. 70Ah, 760A. My EFB battery is 70Ah, 650A

1. Engine off.

12.66V . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45V . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24V . . . . . . . . . . 50%
12.06V . . . . . . . . . . 25%
11.89V . . . . . . . . . . 0%

2. Charging voltage with engine idling should be 13.5V to 14.5V
3. Ensure the engine cranking voltage is between 9.67V and 10.57V. Any less and the battery could struggle to supply sufficient power to other components.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
To diagnose this yourself you need a way to monitor and clear the error codes, that means buying MES or alfaOBD. Are all those errors still there after replacing the fuel pressure sensor ? Try to figure out which code is being logged first.

I would focus on those 3 sensor wires back to the ECM as it is only error which says short to ground. The other errors can be more easily explained by a 5V interruption.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Cheaper and easier to get a used one with same part number. Shouldn't be too hard as I can see several on uk ebay.

edit:
For advice, you could try emailing alfaworkshop or autolusso in the UK. You need the original ECM repaired, cloned or replaced with a virginised identical part number (clears the EEPROM so it will initiliase new immobilizer codes to the BCM). There seems to be a fair few companies which provide this service.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
At this stage I'll just say this as I think we might be going down a rabbit hole.

Are you saying all those error codes re-appear within a few minutes after all being cleared ? If that is true then I doubt the oil pressure switch is the silver bullet.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
When the engine stalls, those codes appear again.
It's bizarre how the exact same code list is raised each time. No oil pressure codes to suggest a fault with the sensors.

Does the fuel pump work off the camshaft on this engine, what do you mean the fuel pump is operated by oil ?

If you can keep engine running without stalling by cooling the fuel pump then I be tempted to replace it.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Disconnecting/reconnecting a coolant temp sensor to restart the engine seems odd if it is not related. If it is the only physical thing you are touching then maybe it's the wiring/connector.

You replaced the hp fuel pump, doesn't that run off the camshaft ? So is the volt reading you did for the fuel pressure regulator and was that replaced at same time as the pump ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts