Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my car has done 21k kms and has just left me on the freeway, check engine light on and lost all power. I had to get the car towed back to the dealer (who is trying to get out of repairing under warranty) and has said there is a major problem deep in the engine.....I am absolutely gutted....this car has only been loved, serviced and not even 2 years old. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening as AR are saying they have never seen this problem?

·
Registered
36,856 Posts
When you say AR do mean Fiat or the dealer?
If it's the dealer then obviously speak directly to the Customer Helpline.
Good luck.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
May have run low on oil, but it is diffiuclt to say from the info given.

If you have just bought it from a dealer you should have a good case for a refund.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't live in what you would call a hot climate here in the North East of England.
Apart from oil/filter changes every 10 to 12K miles my QV has never needed the oil topping up between scheduled services.

Really need info from the dealer on the fault they have discovered.
The forum has seen oil related issues on MA engine versions, but the QV's 1750cc and the 1.4 TB engines are very reliable given the right maintenance etc.

I do hope you get sorted soon and with little further hassle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so here's the update from the dealer mechanic it seems an electrode has broken of the spark plug and gone into the engine & the spark plugs seemed loose and sooty. The a putting a camera down to see how much damage this has caused to the engine if extensive, the car will need a new engine!!! Oh and of course they said AR head office haven't agreeed to fix under warranty just yet....you have to be kidding me this car is a lemon!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Did this same dealer change the plugs at the last service ?

I presume they mean the ceramic insulator has dropped into the engine. That's not good but wouldn't expect catastrophic damage. Bent valve at worst I'd have thought although it may have done more damage to the turbo blades if unlucky.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Have you had the car from new?

Has it ever been remapped or fitted with a tuning box?

The reason I ask is that if tuning is done incorrectly with a bad map or box it can cause the air/fuel mixture to run lean. That causes things like sparkplugs to overheat and then fail...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you had the car from new?

Has it ever been remapped or fitted with a tuning box?

The reason I ask is that if tuning is done incorrectly with a bad map or box it can cause the air/fuel mixture to run lean. That causes things like sparkplugs to overheat and then fail...
Hey there yes I have had the car from brand new, no remapping or fitted with a tuning box. It has had its first initial service at 2km oil and filter change then 17500km service as instructed by Alfa.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Sounds like a pretty unusual problem.

They should fix it under warranty. I cannot see how they can wriggle out of it if the servicing has all been done correctly.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sounds like a pretty unusual problem.

They should fix it under warranty. I cannot see how they can wriggle out of it if the servicing has all been done correctly.
This. If they supplied the spark plug and it failed, and the car has been serviced according to the schedule and not modified, it's up to them to rectify the damage it caused. Worst case scenario, new valve, piston and exhaust turbine.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
It would probably be easier for them to replace the engine.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm having an issue with my 2015 QV. Made a squeaky whine on cold start and was diagnosed as needing a new water pump. That was fitted Wednesday and now it has developed a very loud whine under acceleration and a pulsing on tick over but my dealer has always been spot on and pushed for a warranty repair

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So.....the electrode has bounced through 3 cylinders and has caused major engine damage that will require a replacement engine. I asked if this meant the whole engine would be replaced including the turbo etc, to which they replied that anciallary parts would not be replaced, just the long motor, however they still need to inspect the turbo as this may also be damaged.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts