Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forumites,

I introduced myself in the relevant Forum, and want to go straight into my questions...

I bought a 1.4 TB TCT recently, and want to go right into the nitty-gritty of replacing the cambelt, tensioner, etc., including the auxiliary belt and tensioner.
There are a lot of videos on YT showing the procedure, and it does not look too difficult, also taking into account my technical abilities, which are actually not too bad. ;)
I am also going to check the spark plug, and at around R300 each, I hope these are still OK...

Anyway, is there anything that I must look out for, pitfalls, etc?
I am also doing an oil change and reading through some of the historic posts, some agree to disagree on the Selenia oil. To be honest, I don't have around R1K per litre for oil, so I bought Shell HX8 5W-40, which is a recommendation in the owners manual.
IMHO, I believe this product to be good enough.

Your 2c?

Thank you for taking the time,
Jaco

·
Registered
749 Posts
Im not sure about which versions were sold on the SA market, but im guessing a TCT car has a multi-air engine right?

In that case, also change the filter on the MA module, while you have the stuff apart. Oil wise you will find as many opinions as there are oil brands, so just make sure whatever oil you pick matches or exceeds the specifications listed in the manual.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you’re using a locking kit for the cam belt you’ll need a new gasket for the vacuum pump on the back of the cam. If you try and reuse it it will leak, although a thin smear of silicone rtv does the trick...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Harry,

I will not be using a locking kit. I have several other "tested" methods to mark and "lock" the Cam and Crankshafts. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe you have to umount the engine support mount to replace the belt. My mechanic at the alfa dealership took a marker and drew around the support to indicate where and how to put it back again before unscrewing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good day all,

Well, all went well with the cambelt and v-belt replacement; water pump included. (y)
It took about 6 hours or so.

After I initially thought it was one of the tensioner pulleys that was noisy, I now realise that it is something in the transmission, and to be more specific IMHO, it sounds like a thrust/release bearing.
I can only assume that these TCT gearboxes, being dry clutches, will have a similar setup as a manual gearbox and that these bearings may have a limited lifespan.
I have found this post TCT clutch burnt on the forum, but it does not have more technical information about replacing these.

Or else, has anyone else on this forum done this or perhaps have any other ideas on what the cause may be?

Thank you in advance,
Jaco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts