Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giulietta due service in august, contacted Alfa cardiff and was quoted £460+ VAT for 36k mile service. (car currently on 28k) Also got quote from LC motors in cwmbran of £370.

When I queried what was included for the price I was essentially told oil/filter change and brake fluid flush then some stuttering and muttering about test drives and check of brake wear etc.

Surely theres got to be more to it for that money?

The prices quoted eclipse the prices I was paying for servicing on my 330 BM which is ridiculous.

Anyone got the service checklist the Alfa dealers follow for each service? Think I'll just buy the parts and do it myself.

·
Registered
35,750 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will include new plugs and replacement of the pollen filter.
You may also get goodwill if the tailgate wiring snaps with a car with FSH from an Alfa dealer.
The checklist should be in your books that come with the car. Also ,has the timing belt been done !

http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Model.aspx?brand_code=83&id_language=2&id_model=ece27544-f724-4f7e-8938-85989ab697d6&market_code=EN_EU&cat=lib&part_number=#1
I questioned if the plugs were included in the price and they weren't, they were extra!

No cambelt hasn't been done, the car's got 28,000 why in gods name would the cambelt have been done?

Cheers for the link, no idea where I put the owners manual when I bought the car..

·
Registered
38,273 Posts
As the car is relatively new I think it would be a good idea to get it serviced to get the book stamped and keep the service history in order.

Of course if you plan on keeping it for a long while until it is in banger territory then it won't matter too much.

Most regular garages will change the oil and stamp the book, just make sure they use the correct grade.

When I do services myself I keep receipts and take photos of the work being done just to prove it has been done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pricing up the bits needed for the service I'm leaning towards going to dealer.. The cheaper quote was accompanied with a "we should be able to trim the cost down and get an MOT for you aswell".. so maybe I need to go back and negotiate.

Cue i'm surprised to see this cambelt schedule, thats pretty poor for a modern car! What sort of cash did you pay for the cambelt/tensioner/waterpump job all in????

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Full check of everything, Oil and filter change, Brake fluid change, Air filter change, Pollen filter change AND spark plug change all required for a 36K service. Up to you on the timing belt 4 years for demanding use or at least every 5 years. Going by previous Alfa's I would be doing it every 4 to be safe.

It should get spark plugs AT EVERY Service.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
LC Motors have a very good reputation amongst Alfa and Fiat forum users so without question I would pick them ahead of Cardiff Alfa, who do not have a good reputation on here (and are more expensive).

When I had my Alfa serviced at a main dealer they gave me the full checklist to show everything that was looked-at and/or replaced. It's like a traffic light list so they list all the tasks in red, amber & green and then tick the appropriate box depending on if it's ok, needing attention soon, or needing immediate attention. It seems pretty commonplace for the dealers to use this sort of system, so you should be able to see what they've done :)

It's worth asking if the price is for everything on the 36k schedule to put your mind at rest. However, LC Motors are one of the better dealers so I don't imagine they'll cut any corners. Alfa do need to look at their servicing though - the prices are not very competitive compared to rivals. Fiat is equally as overpriced :(

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
I recently enquired the price of a cambelt + water pump change on my 2.0 jtdm-2 from the local main dealer....

£562.97 incl VAT :eek:

·
Registered
38,273 Posts
That is about twice as much as it should be. The Diesels are relatively easy.

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
That is about twice as much as it should be. The Diesels are relatively easy.
I could understand say £100 quid more than an indie ..... but like you say... that's double a reasonable amount to pay :censored:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts