Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping someone can offer a bit of clarity on an issue with our MiTo not starting. Had the car a couple of years with no issues apart from a new battery a couple of months ago.

This weekend it has decided to not start, everything seems normal in terms of I can hear the fuel pump run, normal lights on the dashboard but when key is turned to ignition there's just nothing, no noises or anything. The only error indication is an amber triangle with a ! inside on the digital display on the dash. Anyone know the meaning of this as I cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like it's this one:

General failure (amber)
(for versions/markets, where provided)
On some versions, this warning light comes on under the
following circumstances:
External lights failure

Brake lights failure

Fuel lock
This warning light comes on when the fuel cut-off inertia switch is
triggered. The display will show the dedicated message.

Start&Stop failure
The warning light comes on when a Start&Stop failure is detected.

Rain sensor failure

Parking sensor failure

Dusk sensor failure
This warning light comes on when a dusk sensor failure is detected

·
Registered
342 Posts
You say the fuel pump is running though - I think that's what the inertia cut-off switch turns off, so sounds unlikely to be that (plus you say it's not turning over - although I dunno for sure whether the inertia cut-off would interfere with that, if it just stops the fuel pump then it wouldn't).

As it sounds like it's not turning over (i.e. starter motor not operating) then the usual things to check are starter motor itself (especially earth strap for it) and battery voltage (although battery is new, could be a charging circuit issue, e.g. alternator).

A quick search turned up same symptoms on a giulietta which was down to a knackered earth on the starter:
Cloverleaf - Dead Starter Motor - Earth Cable

·
Registered
342 Posts
One final thing - if you don't have an owners manual with the car (which would tell you about the dash symbols and does include the triangle) then you can probably download one from here (after registering):
http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/

(Annoying that these days they put it behind a registration wall - you used to be able to get them without registering)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the information, will try and have a look at the basics to see if anything comes up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so checked the starter fuse and it's okay, relays can be heard clicking when turning key to ignition and did a test with the headlights and they didn't dim on attempt to start. I believe this is a way of seeing if the starter is drawing current.

Having read the post you have included above regarding the dead starter the symptoms appear to be similar. Have checked the earth cable and although no obvious breaks, the attachment to the chassis does look fairly corroded which could be the cause maybe?

Now trying to find a replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have a jumplead or one you could borrow?

Connect one end to a metal bracket or bolt on the engine or gearbox and the other to the negative on the battery.

If it starts fine now ( provided the battery has good charge ) you know it's the earth strap. If it doesn't there must be another issue causing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Top man! Just gave that ago and started straight away!

Found an earth strap online so will hopefully be up and running in a few days.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good to hear it's just the earth connection :). It could still just be the corrosion leading to a poor connection rather than a break in the strap so maybe a good clean would be enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts