Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any details of the next gen 159 due in 2009?

Really intersted to know what engines will go in it. I heard rumours it's going to be an Alfa engine this time :) and also what the expected due date is.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
New Alfa called Giulia again, and they are trying to move past the current 159/Brera/Spider brigade as its so bad at the moment even toyota drivers are interested in them.
Seriously thouugh due to bad sales on the current range (for what ever reason) it looks like a Golf V/VI scenario will take place, where the new alfas will carry over a lot of the current range, but then bettered.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The resurgent Italian brand plans to base the new car on a slightly longer version of the forthcoming 149 platform. The wheelbase will be extended to about 2.7 metres, with the commonality helping to streamline manufacture and cut costs.

Italian insiders say the current 159’s platform (developed mainly by Saab when GM and Fiat were partners) is too heavy, too expensive to build and is also unlikely to meet the new US crash regulations.

Like its smaller 149 sibling, the Giulia is being prepared for launch in the US, so Alfa must ensure that both cars will meet all environmental and safety standards on both sides of the Atlantic.

The 159’s disappointing sales performance means that the Giulia is being rushed through the development stages, and is likely to be unveiled in 2010. Insiders confirm that Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne has recently signed-off the styling of the new saloon.

The Giulia is expected to follow the design trend set by the Mito and will have 8C Competizione-derived looks.

:wow: The last thing Alfa need to be doing is 'rushing' it through.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Like its smaller 149 sibling, the Giulia is being prepared for launch in the US, so Alfa must ensure that both cars will meet all environmental and safety standards on both sides of the Atlantic.

The 159’s disappointing sales performance means that the Giulia is being rushed through the development stages,
:wow: The last thing Alfa need to be doing is 'rushing' it through.:rolleyes:

That'll make it boring then if they want to sell it in the states.......
Hope its not rushed...........Is the 159 selling that badly?....In some ways I'm kinda glad though as I don't see another coming towards me everyday.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
New Alfa called Giulia again, and they are trying to move past the current 159/Brera/Spider brigade as its so bad at the moment even toyota drivers are interested in them.
Seriously thouugh due to bad sales on the current range (for what ever reason) it looks like a Golf V/VI scenario will take place, where the new alfas will carry over a lot of the current range, but then bettered.
159/brera/spider brigade? certianly a massive improvement over the 156. I dont think they have put enought marketing in, the only reason they would have poor sales. In your world how long do you have to have an Alfa or how many different models before you gain the title of an 'Alfa' driver?

·
Registered
237 Posts
According to Italiaspeed.com the 159 is getting an exterior facelift.
It will be revealed at Genova in March 2009.
There is also going to be new engines available.

Was sopposed to buy a 159 TI this spring, but with 6 months delivery, I did not order.

So now Iam waiting or the 2009 FL.

If it's as nice as I hope, I will surely order one next spring:)

(Wondering about the engines...?)

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will be revealed at Genova in March 2009. There is also going to be new engines available. QUOTE said:
Lets hope it's going to be a proper Alfa engine this time :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Why is it always so "rushed"?
:confused:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
dunno:confused: Seems like they rushed the current car so rushing this one will do no good at all :(

............and what is it to be - facelift in 2009 and new car in 2010:confused:

think I'll be holding onto mine until then...............

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
There seems to be plenty of demand for the 159, but people get put off by long delays for delivery. Looking at the threads on here, 5-6 mths is not unusual, so people go elsewhere.
Was sopposed to buy a 159 TI this spring, but with 6 months delivery, I did not order.
:confused: :confused: I made my mind up in September, ordered and took delivery of a 159Ti in the colour and leather of choice with delivery in 7 days. :confused: Heck, I even had a choice of engines.

If you want one, order it. The Ti is is well specced as standard and that is OK by me. Admittedly they had the well-publicised factory shut-down but don't make it an excuse for nor buying one now,

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
There will be no exterior facelift for 2009, this was cancelled some months back.
so just a totally new car in 2010:confused: What a very short model cycle:rolleyes: :(

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
If the chassis was developed in conjunction with GM, & the petrol engines (& transmission?) are bought in from GM, they probably want to stop that as soon as they could - why pay other people for things you can produce yourself? why throw good money at a facelift when you could spend that on a new model? why produce something you don't make much money on when you can make something else you make more on?

It sounds more like the bean counters have been at it

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hopefully picking up my 159 next week. Have only seen 2 on the road. They look and drive fantastic. Turned my nose up at BMW.

Can't understand why there arn't more Alfa fans out there.

But I prefer it that way.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
roll on 2010 then, exactly the right time for a change for me :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would say 2010 will be a little early, maybe shown at shows late 2010 for early 2011 release.

Car will most likely be based on the new cxover platform same as the 149. This will lower costs as premium is very expensive to build, also 159 is not suitable for US. Alfa have stated the car will be smaller on the outside larger on the inside.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Sounds good to me...

I'm not a fan of the premium platform - and the premium build quality (at least for early cars), so look for me back into an alfa - as a daily driver probably in early 2011 - let the early build issues sort themselves out with the new car - as I didn't with my brera then pick up an ex demo about then ....

I'll have finished paying for the 911 by then anyway and it will be time to retire the honda.

Simes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts