Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.
Recently bought a 58 plate 159 1.9 jtdm Lusso.
The car has had a replacement engine fitted with 47k miles and has been remapped and EGR blanked off.
The Check Engine light is on with code P0237(Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit Low)
I have checked vacuum lines and found one with a hole at the boost valve. replaced line, cleared code and took it for a drive. Pulls like a jetfighter up until 4500 rpm then check engine light comes on and car goes into limp mode and same error returns.
Checked MAP sensor - that looked pretty beaten up. Dirty and plastic around the sensor was bent and actually touching the sensor. Cleaned it up and made sure the plastic surround didn't touch the sensor, but I guess it could still be bad.

Would a bad MAP sensor cause above behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know if this would help but have you tried cleaning out the little sponge in the boost sensor that is mounted on the slam panel at the front of the engine bay. There's a little compartment to the right which you can pry the cover off (don't lose it) and remove the sponge / clean out if it's got a debris in it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if this would help but have you tried cleaning out the little sponge in the boost sensor that is mounted on the slam panel at the front of the engine bay. There's a little compartment to the right which you can pry the cover off (don't lose it) and remove the sponge / clean out if it's got a debris in it.
Thanks for that. Will have a look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Things gotten worse today.
After about an hour of driving incl a lot of hill driving there were clouds of blue smoke coming from the front of the engine. Smelled like burnt oil.
Turbo seal gone and spraying oil on the exhaust manifold maybe?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Things gotten worse today.
After about an hour of driving incl a lot of hill driving there were clouds of blue smoke coming from the front of the engine. Smelled like burnt oil.
Turbo seal gone and spraying oil on the exhaust manifold maybe?
thats some bad luck Rudolphus :(

P0237 is boost control related but could be a miryad of things, boost control solenoid wiring or unit faulty, could also be VGT vanes sticking which would result in strange boost control scenarios.

my advice for now is find and fix oil leak then look at this fault after thats sorted, chin up buddy

Reactions: Rudolphus

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thought I'd take the Alfa for a wee drive today. Taking it easy. No smoke or smell of burnt oil at all anymore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A wee bit confused now.
I fitted a new MAP sensor as the old one looked pretty damaged and now I get an engine light over 3000rpm with code P0235 instead of P0237 :paranoid:

Ay ideas anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

Al issues resolved.
Today I was planning to go the MrMuscle route when halfway dismantling stuff I found another vacuum leak on the hose going to the actuator.
Replaced the hose, cleared error code, took it for a spin and I can now truly feel she has been remapped :) Pulls nicely all the way to the red without any lights coming on or going into limp mode.
Happy as larry :thumbup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
UPDATE

Al issues resolved.
Today I was planning to go the MrMuscle route when halfway dismantling stuff I found another vacuum leak on the hose going to the actuator.
Replaced the hose, cleared error code, took it for a spin and I can now truly feel she has been remapped :) Pulls nicely all the way to the red without any lights coming on or going into limp mode.
Happy as larry :thumbup:
well spotted bud :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts