Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think it may be time to sell my Spider. Much as I like it, a significant bill on another car means I want to reduce my outgoings - plus the capital would help pay the bill!

It's generally excellent condition, black, ~50k miles (might be a few k over or under that), oil temp gauge doesn't work but apart from that everything does - including the roof.

Last service Sept 2017, due again Sept 2019 (as is the MOT)

Values seem to vary wildly, partly due to one particular dealer so not sure what it's worth? I think I paid £7.5k two years ago from a small dealer - it seems like it should be worth roughly that still?

·
Registered
636 Posts
The problem is a lot of new LE Spiders with the newer seats etc. are between £7,000 to £8,000 and black is one of the most common colours they come in.

What colour trim do you have? Wheels? features? Chain in good condition?

I would guess £5,500 to £7,000

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I'm sure alfaitalia will be along shortly with his Glass's Guide...

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,072 Posts
I'm sure alfaitalia will be along shortly with his Glass's Guide...

Naah….I don't bother now unless specifically asked. All is usually does is start an argument about values!! I don't actually WRITE the Guide....just use and quote from it. But people do seem to find me directly responsible for devaluing their car if the figure was lower than they were expecting...which it usually it!!

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Naah….I don't bother now unless specifically asked. All is usually does is start an argument about values!! I don't actually WRITE the Guide....just use and quote from it. But people do seem to find me directly responsible for devaluing their car if the figure was lower than they were expecting...which it usually it!!
Okay. I'll put my popcorn back in the cupboard then and save it for another day!

Reactions: alfaitalia

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WBAC reckons £5,395.

Based on that, I think I'll keep it. It's a decent car that hasn't cost much to run in the two years I've owned it - and I'm not taking a £2k hit for 2 years of ownership of a 12 year old car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When we had a quote from WBAC on my wife’s Mazda Sport Nav which I didn’t take up as I just wanted a bench mark as we were going to part ex at Audi, WBAC upped there offer twice while we were waiting for the new reg to come out.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,072 Posts
WBAC are known in the trade for never paying the figure they quote. When you go to get the car looked at and paid for they chip the price down again and again. £50 minimum off for every "noticeable" chip £100 plus off for car park dent etc etc. Unfortunately by this time the seller is there and he's usually committed to another car elsewhere and needs to sell the car so WBAC get away with it. Maybe you know people that have sold at the quoted price....not me though One of the guys I work with was knocked down by over £500....he walked away.
This valuation also assumes that the car has more than six months left on the MOT, full papers, two sets of keys, is not an import, customised or personalised and is in great condition with no damage whatsoever (unlike Auto Trader, where the valuation assumes minor damage). Then there are the fees they deduct....It’s £49.99 for cars valued from £100 to £5000; above that it rises to £74.99 and is waived for cars under £100.

This is quite interesting and fairly typical of WBAC in my experience. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...aler-s-price-guarantees-deserve-scrapped.html

The interesting fact is that 96% of sellers got less than the quoted "guaranteed " price. I personally would not touch the company with a very long pole. There sole job is to generate stock for the parent company BCA auctions. So they need to chip the prices due to risky nature and smaller margins of auction sales.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
The only possible benefit I can think of with using WBAC is if you would otherwise be part exchanging a car.
It's possible you might come away with a slightly better deal with taking WBAC's money and then bartering a discount at the dealers selling you the new car.
But I do stress 'might'. In all probability there's probably little difference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only got the valuation as a rough guide to what it's worth - I'd never sell it to them. There isn't really a reason to - I don't actually have any real need to sell it at all, other than trying to reduce my running costs a bit.
It was pretty nice using it during the sunshine at the end of last week on the coast / new forest so I think it's bought itself a reprieve anyway.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dave your in a great position to be in by not needing to get rid so why not pitch it at a price you would be happy with? there's always people looking for a well looked after car owned by an enthusiast.
Although I have the feeling when it's gone and you see another one on the road you would regret it, I only did 1500 miles last year in mine as its parked up for the winter and thought maybe I should sell by doing such low milage then out she comes from the garage I think nar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts