Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I had the same problem as the guy in this thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/300841-159-2-4-jtd-engine-failure-then-no-problem.html#post4541829

Car ran over 160km/h and then went to limp mode when temperature gauge lit up. Came to a stop and the engine switched off and refused to start. Had to have it towed to Alfa Arnold Chatz in Hyde Park Johannesburg (South Africa).

First they said cambelt but the belt was tested without problems. Now they say there is no compression detected in the pistons and they have encountered a few cars with the same fault. They want to rebore it to fix the problem but they don't know how to do it.

They suggest a new engine which sounds very wrong.
The oil is fine but I did get a new thermostat installed early this year. The DPF is installed and EGR also stock fitted.

Any ideas please or at least do you know who I can take it to in Gauteng, SA who can fix this without having to buy a new engine?

·
Registered
304 Posts
What no compression on all 5 cylinders all at the same time ? Pull the other one.
Take it somewhere else (somehow) before they start ripping it apart and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Speak to Turbonutters, he has a shop in PTA and could help, there are a few people that have the same car over in the SA section, maybe ask some of the chaps in there???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
towed to Alfa and Omega in Boksburg

Hi,

Arnold Chatz wanted R71k for a new engine (maintenance won't pay) or R75k trade in for the vehicle as is. Claimed that they have had difficulties in reboring similar engines before. Based on the replies in this thread (thanks!) I took a chance and sent it to Alfa and Omega. Tony Ribero says he can do the rebore after doing some analysis.

After 8 years as an Alfa owner, three Alfa's and too many issues with so many dealers, I am not confident that there is enough expertise in South Africa to take care of this brand.

I will post the work done on this car when I get it but it looks like I will remain an Alfisti at heart but not an owner.

Anyone interested in buying it feel free to drop me a note in this thread.

:rant:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Engine was stripped completely. Tony could not find any damage except with the rings. He is going to get and engineer to verify the analysis.

So glad to have got him to work on the car however will hold back my recommendations until I am back in the drivers seat. Miss that car so much right now. Everything else I drive feels so empty...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Engine was stripped completely. Tony could not find any damage except with the rings. He is going to get and engineer to verify the analysis.

So glad to have got him to work on the car however will hold back my recommendations until I am back in the drivers seat. Miss that car so much right now. Everything else I drive feels so empty...
Latest update from Tony is that the rings need replacing. No damage to pistons. Hopefully this is the car will be fixed now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tony's a good guy. He fixed my GT radiator when I arrived. I think he likes you to buy your own parts, since it takes his time out otherwise. Hope it's fixed soon. Tony and Turbonutters are the main guys to get sorted with Alfas in J'Burg \ Pretoria, me thinks. Same old, same old problem ... with the Alfa dealer tech crews (time pressures + bonuses, inexperience, check list ticks).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Doubt it, it sounded more like a water pump seizure, Overheat, the belt is OK but slipped a few teeth, then wrecked the fusible rockers, NO compression cause no air gets in the engine.
How the hell do you wear rings in such a short time?
I'd like to know what they found.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The replacement of the rings did not work - still no compression. Not sure what the "fusible rockers" are but according to Tony the hydraulics that control the valves where not working resulting in no compression.

I am totally relying on Tony's poor feedback and have no idea whether I am being lied to or not. Its been 5 months since he took the car in and at least I am certain he is not prioritising the repair.

Personally lost all hope a while back and already bought another car (not an Alfa).

If anyone is interested in talking to my mechanic, email me and I will send you his number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys I need your help. I am in Gauteng, South Africa. My car has been in the shop now for 6 months and Tony has only been telling me lies that he is fixing the car. 6 months is hopeless and I have lost complete faith in the man.

Please does anyone know someone reputable who can put together a 159 diesel engine? I just want an end to this. The dealer is utterly useless in repairing this make and model. The motorplan seems to be void from their point of view. :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fredvr if you're reading this thanks for the advice. I passed it along to my mechanic and now he tells me that "rockers" are in very old engines. He does not have an email address but he managed to get his cousin's email address.

I think I need to explain to this guy in layman's terms what needs to be fixed or maybe put in touch with him via email?
If so then maybe this nightmare will end...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Fredvr if you're reading this thanks for the advice. I passed it along to my mechanic and now he tells me that "rockers" are in very old engines. He does not have an email address but he managed to get his cousin's email address.

I think I need to explain to this guy in layman's terms what needs to be fixed or maybe put in touch with him via email?
If so then maybe this nightmare will end...
Rockers my be in old engines, but there in ours to. See the link.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/333455-noisey-tappets.html

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to say that its been 12 months since Tony got my car and he is still working on it. Personally I don't believe Tony "is a good guy" anymore. He used to be but 12 months to fix a car without taking my calls? Hopeless....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts