Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help I have to make 2 or 3, sometimes 4 attempts to get my 159 to fire up. cold starts in my part of the world (Queensland - Australia) mean 7degrees Cel. minimum so not so cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What octane fuel are you using?

I have a 2007 2.2 JTS which had a similar issue and always ran 98RON. As soon as I changed from 98 to 95RON that fixed it. I changed back to 98 out of interest and sure enough, the issue returned. There is a thread somewhere on here in which an Alfa mechanic in Aus suggested this as a surprising fix. It seems to be a common issue in Australia, possibly due to additives in the fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cold start problems

Thanks ausalfasuds, as a matter of fact I have only recently changed from 95ron to 98ron (Shell v power) although I feel it was starting to become a reluctant starter prior. I will change back for a while and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks ausalfasuds, as a matter of fact I have only recently changed from 95ron to 98ron (Shell v power) although I feel it was starting to become a reluctant starter prior. I will change back for a while and see what happens. Thanks.
You're welcome willed. Any improvements? If after a few tanks she's still a relcutant starter, you could start looking at other issues eg. battery check could prove instructive! I really don't know them well enough to speculate further after that though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
can anyone help I have to make 2 or 3, sometimes 4 attempts to get my 159 to fire up. cold starts in my part of the world (Queensland - Australia) mean 7degrees Cel. minimum so not so cold.

Same problem though not every time. So far persevering though will take car to Alfa Romeo Brisbane if this persists. Not prepared to downgrade from Vpower at this stage. Could of course be battery related.

Bill Turnbull, Brisbane Australia
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Known glitch with the 2.2 JTS among Australian owners. I have found it runs fine on Caltex 98 / VPower 98 but doesn't usually like to start first time or idle nicely when cold for the first couple minutes, although it doesn't happen always but does most times.

I switched to Shell 95 because I couldn't be bothered with the double start anymore as i drive it daily, but part of me always thinks it drives nicer with 98 in the tank.
(Melbourne)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd prefer to use 98RON too. There is a general consensus that fuel quality in Aus isn't as good as in Europe etc. but as a daily driver I find it somewhat annoying the car hesitates to start from cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this something different with newer cars ? I was always lead to believe that cars need different timings to accommodate higher octane fuel (ie 98 over 95) and generically, it was only sports cars that were specfically designed/tuned to consume 98 RON should do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all who have offered assistance with the start problem encountered with my 159, I can honestly say that the change back to RON 95 from RON 98, has certainly arrested the majority of the repetitive start issue. The car runs as well as RON 98 (Shell V power) fuelled, if anything a little better on the RON 95 (Caltex.)
On another matter the clutch in my JTS Manual seems to be getting a little too easy to depress/engage, is this a sign of the clutch on the way out? If so what is the most cost effective method of replacing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since last report, starting is back to normal. Still needs two attempts. I wait a couple a few seconds before starting again - don't see the need to change fuel. I keep to Vpower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
To all who have offered assistance with the start problem encountered with my 159, I can honestly say that the change back to RON 95 from RON 98, has certainly arrested the majority of the repetitive start issue. The car runs as well as RON 98 (Shell V power) fuelled, if anything a little better on the RON 95 (Caltex.)
On another matter the clutch in my JTS Manual seems to be getting a little too easy to depress/engage, is this a sign of the clutch on the way out? If so what is the most cost effective method of replacing?
Thanks.
Good to hear. As for the clutch, it would be worth talking with your mechanic about it at it's next service, a good indie (independent) won't take you up the garden path and replacing the clutch is expensive, and money wasted if it's not necessary! Might also be worth dropping by ausalfa.com where a lot of aussie alfisti hang out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ausalfasuds (and all others who responded,) I have a good indie (45 years experience father and son operation) so I will have them check it at next service ( 5000 klm.)

Now while I've got you folk, I recently rotated my tyres (Continental Max 5) and had the wheels rebalanced. Since that operation I have encountered what can only be described as "a patter" at around 100 kph, this is not transmitted through the steering wheel in the manner of a normal tyre out of balance does, simply feels like the whole car is pattering, only slightly, but disconcerting non the less. Should I simply go back to the tyre people and have them check the balance. I should mention that I had the tyres rotated earlier than required due to the evidence of feathering on a couple of tyres, or should I look at the suspension geometry a bit closer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks ausalfasuds (and all others who responded,) I have a good indie (45 years experience father and son operation) so I will have them check it at next service ( 5000 klm.)

Now while I've got you folk, I recently rotated my tyres (Continental Max 5) and had the wheels rebalanced. Since that operation I have encountered what can only be described as "a patter" at around 100 kph, this is not transmitted through the steering wheel in the manner of a normal tyre out of balance does, simply feels like the whole car is pattering, only slightly, but disconcerting non the less. Should I simply go back to the tyre people and have them check the balance. I should mention that I had the tyres rotated earlier than required due to the evidence of feathering on a couple of tyres, or should I look at the suspension geometry a bit closer?
This thread worth a read. Not really sure what your experience of 'patter' is. Great you have a good indie though, that goes a long way to taking care of things.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Since last report, starting is back to normal. Still needs two attempts. I wait a couple a few seconds before starting again
I had the same problem - my Spider required 2 attempts to start every time on cold startup - I ran two bottles of fuel system cleaner through it - now it starts on first attempt every single time..
I used this one - Rislone USA Fuel Injector Cleaner - 6 Oz. - Rislone USA - but I think any good brand cleaner will do - try it, maybe it works for you.
Couple of indy places in the UK that strongly recommend popping in a bottle of cleaner periodically (even if some people believe that they don't work).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All, sorry to restart this old thread again but I am also having the cold start issue with my 07 JTS 2.2. I haven't had it for long and have only fueled up twice since having it, and both times with 98RON. It didn't have the issue when i first bought it (with the fuel from the previous owner) but come to think of it, since i have put fuel in it i have had the issue.

I'd prefer to stick with 98RON if i can so i thought i'd just check if there has been any further news on this issue lately? Has anyone found another fix?

TIA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts