Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
On way home tonight and my power steering developed a bad whining noise. When car is idle i get a noise as soon as i tough the steering wheel. I checked fluid and looks a horrible dirty brown colour which I'm assuming is not right. Level seems ok and power steering works fine. Could this be as simple as a fluid change and if so is it a DIY job or is there possible a bigger issues. I have no issues before and it literally just started and i do not want to risk driving car. thanks

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The PAS system is very sensitive to fluid level. Once it makes a whine or grating sound, the fluid becomes aerated so the level looks higher than it actually is.

I'd top it up in the first instance and have a very good check for leaks. There can be slight seepage past seals which causes the level to drop over time which is often not a cause for alarm. If loss is slight, often draining the system and refilling can sort it.

To drain, I loosen the banjo bolts on the rack. They are awkward to get to though so I leave this until I remove the subframe for other work. It is possible to get access depending on your tools, flexibility, possibly strength (applying force at awkward angles) and what you first remove (such as exhaust or driveshaft) as it is above the sump rear protrusion.

Best advice is get under the car to see for yourself and decide what you can do. From memory the most you should need to do is disconnect exhaust and powertrain rear torque mount onto the subframe but you may not need to go so far.

It uses ATF fluid of Dexron 2 spec but sometimes ATF meets multi specifications and the friction modifiers of later multi spec fluids should do no harm whatsoever.

Remember to work steering back and forth to empty the rams whilst banjo bolts are slackened. This gets more fluid out. Leave to rest for 10 mins before final level check to allow air to rise out of the fluid.

This is one of these jobs which should be done to older cars to cut the risk of pump or rack failure and personally I change it every 5-10 years depending on dirt levels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So went for a look and sure enough i have a pin hole in one if the metal pipes under the reservoir right at bend/bracket (see image). Is this a DIY job to replace and should i replace all pipes and reservior? Thx

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts