Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry for posting about a subject that has numerous threads already but the more i read the more confusing it is. I am basically looking to do an HID conversion on a 2005 Alfa GT. The kit i have seen is for H7 (no mention of H7r or H7c). I am just wondering what is the correct kit to get (if there is a correct one). Seems like a few have fitted all 3 types with mixed results. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You need h7r bulbs in order for it to work in a standard headlights ie without projector lenses. Otherwise if you use h7 hids your beam pattern I'll be incorrect and you'll dazzle oncoming traffic

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There's not really any substitute for a bi-xenon HID projector conversion. About £200 + removal and refit of the headlight units (bumper off etc).

Be aware these are not part of OE type approval, so in strict legal terms they could invalidate insurance. I've not heard of that happening, but insurance companies aren't renowned for paying out when they can wriggle out...

A previous owner had fitted HID H7R into my 147 FL (original halogen-type reflectors, not projector conversions), and whilst they were bright, the beam was poorly controlled and no doubt a source of dazzle for others. However it had passed an MOT in that condition, so wasn't awful.

However this did nothing for the main beams, which were even more useless because my eyes adjusted to the brighter HID dips overlighting the road close to the vehicle. This actually seemed to reduce the reach of the puny main beams in practice.

I removed the HID kit and fitted Philips Extreme H7 and H1 +130% halogen bulbs (about £30 for the 4, if you look around, £55 if you don't) and the lights are much better than with the unbalanced previous setup, especially main beams are now useful. Also no MOT or insurance issues.

However the GT seems to have a rep for having lights that are as useful as a white stick, so I am unsure whether the Philips Extreme or Osram Nightbreaker bulbs would be adequate. But unless you have projector-type dip reflectors already, you'll need them, and I would definitely go for bi- (where the HID bulb does both dip and main beam). You still keep your halogen MB's, but they're only for flashing and giving you some instant light during the second or so it takes the HID arc to strike.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've run Nightbreaker, Phillips Extreme, and now have a set of 6500K H7R HID's in the original reflectors...

TBH the difference between the Nightbreakers and Phillips Extreme's is non-existent in my opinion... Other than the price!

6500K HID's are certainly more white in colour, but actual beam pattern and "useful illumination" is not really that much better than the halogen bulbs.... I prefer the colour of the 6500K output, but I'd struggle to justify it on real life road illumination... In fact they're objectively worse than halogens in the fog!

I'd go for either the high output halogens, or a proper bi-xenon projector re-fit into the headlight housing... The H7R halfway-house is just not a significant improvement in my experience.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've got bixenon projector units in both my 156 and 147. Bought them from retrofitsource but I'm not convinced they're any better quality than the other units out there but they're definitely worth it.

I've also got H7 led units in the main beams in the 147, which are awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I've got bixenon projector units in both my 156 and 147. Bought them from retrofitsource but I'm not convinced they're any better quality than the other units out there but they're definitely worth it.

I've also got H7 led units in the main beams in the 147, which are awesome.

Do you have a link to those led h7's ?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Do you have a link to those led h7's ?

I was looking at some on ebay a few days back. A quick search should do it. About £30 or so, which is similar price to the hid kits.

I bet led is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
wonder how those LEDs would fair in place of the 156 h7 dip bulbs?

tho looking at the instructions the dust cap would be a problem as they look like they'd sit well inside the unit and the dust cap would be too far back to modify for the heatsink to reach outside the headlight casing.

I've just put the extreme +130%'s back in the 156 after trying some Osram 65W bulbs to improve the level of light thrown. They seemed brighter but the light from the 65W is more yellow and on the road were far less visible in terms of beam esp when traffic was heading the other way on country lanes or on damp roads. The extreme's throw a more white light but with oncoming traffic you still lose visibility ahead.

I'm vaguely considering that projector+hid retro may be the only real solution to get good light level and not dazzle others like the reflector option does (blinding from behind even I find), so might yet try a retrofit on the spare lights I have in the shed if I do ever decide the legalities are mute. Once the days get longer tho will be less of an issue, so maybe never will get around to it...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi, sorry for posting about a subject that has numerous threads already but the more i read the more confusing it is. I am basically looking to do an HID conversion on a 2005 Alfa GT. The kit i have seen is for H7 (no mention of H7r or H7c). I am just wondering what is the correct kit to get (if there is a correct one). Seems like a few have fitted all 3 types with mixed results. thanks for your help.
I'm pretty sure that the bi -xenon conversion is excellent; but it's too much of a faff and way-ay-ay too much money for my taste. The main beam on my GT never was an issue - it's the dipped beam that is dangerously inadequate. My solution was to fit the cheapest Chinese supplied, ebay sold, H7 kit I could find (I never even looked for the less common H7r or c variants); I just ensured I got the lowest colour numbers - and the highest wattage numbers I could find (whiter and brighter). So fitted in my GT are some "Sun Woif" (iirc) at 4300k and 55 watts which cost £14.99 (that's for bulbs and ballasts). Two MOTs later with no advisories and never any "flashes" from irate oncomers - I'm still v. happy, being able to see - even at night; which was never the case before with any of the various (far more expensive) halogen bulbs I'd tried previously.

If mine is "correct" I have no idea - but it was cheap enough to take a risk (and throw away if they didn't do the job). And they do work!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for he replies. very useful. I think i am going to try the night breakers for now and see how they go :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am also have headlight issue, which i think it could be much better.

For a direct bolt on solution, should i just try some halfords advanced light which offer better lighting?

Am i right that they are H7 fitment from reading this threaD?

Car is 147 2006 jtd.

Thanks
Ming

1 - 13 of 13 Posts