Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the 2l 166 in grey that was for sale just under 1k?
Im interested in it and wondering if anyone knows anything about that car? last on the road 2015.
Has an engine rattle and no reverse gear. Would like one as a project as the reliable corolla is boring now.
Thanks all

·
Registered
218 Posts
I seen it. Looks okay but you'd have to ask if it just needs shells why he never just done them all those years ago? It seems like he bought it then just parked it up. If you're lucky it might just need shells but the box will need looked at too. If you are going to do the repairs yourself you'd probably be better sourcing a good second hand engine and box for it but you have lots of choice as so many Alfas came with that engine. It might need lots of other work though if it's been sat so long. I think his valuation is off for what is a non-running, not MOT'd car. I think if you got it for £600 - £700 it would be worth doing. About 3 years ago I bought a 55 plate 166 with a knackered engine and by the time I had it running again with the various other bits and bobs that needed doing it cost me £2k including the price of the car (which was £600). Good luck if you take it on though, it's worth saving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I saved a 2005 facelift grey TS last year; it took much longer and cost much more than I initially budget, so I made a lowish offer for this one based on all the unseen horrors that accompany a "parked up" car. I also thought if it was just shells and a reverse gear problem the owner would have got it done...As said above this is a non-runner with no MOT that will require a recovery truck. It's worth scrap value unless one of us crazy Alfa nuts on here pays over the odds and then invests a mini fortune getting her back on the road....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to view the car and was happy with it. reverse gear wasn't much of an issue but will be a box out job. I couldn't tell where the light engine ticking was coming from but will find out when the car arrives. The owner has a few cars that are just parked up and has a few alfas too so we had a good chat.
Hopefully it works out and I would be happy if total spend is 2k or less. If not I will be keeping it longer and making the most of it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hopefully it works out and I would be happy if total spend is 2k or less. If not I will be keeping it longer and making the most of it. :thumbup:
I think it will be 'sensibly' worth about £2.5k if you got it fettled maybe more so worth doing I think. Good luck with it all and keep the forum updated with your progress!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I went to view the car and was happy with it. reverse gear wasn't much of an issue but will be a box out job. I couldn't tell where the light engine ticking was coming from but will find out when the car arrives. The owner has a few cars that are just parked up and has a few alfas too so we had a good chat.
If the ticking is more pronounced when cold it might be the camshaft variator?
Then again sometimes just changing the engine oil can sort something like that?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it will be 'sensibly' worth about £2.5k if you got it fettled maybe more so worth doing I think. Good luck with it all and keep the forum updated with your progress!
Yeh if i were to sell it I wouldnt be expecting as much as those on ebay at the moment as they have been sitting for a long time. I was planning to do videos on the car for my friends youtube channel so will do a write up on here of what I find and what needs doing, hopefully get some feedback on some of the future repairs.
If the ticking is more pronounced when cold it might be the camshaft variator?
Then again sometimes just changing the engine oil can sort something like that?
It hasn't had an oil change in 20k miles, before that it was full service history and then of the road for 3/4 years so fluids, filters and cambelt will be priority. I have budgeted for a variator but as i'm doing the work myself, I might try the repair kit first as its only £9.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Someone bought the car I sent the link to in the Gumtree ad. A guy in Scotland who uses the alfabook page on facebook. He has posted up saying it is fantastic and needs absolutely nothing so looks like it was a great buy for him. I'm just glad an enthusiast got it and not someone buying it to then try and sell it on ebay for twice the price a week later. He said the person he bought it from had 'amazing interest' in the car (maybe he just said that!).

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Yeh if i were to sell it I wouldnt be expecting as much as those on ebay at the moment as they have been sitting for a long time. I was planning to do videos on the car for my friends youtube channel so will do a write up on here of what I find and what needs doing, hopefully get some feedback on some of the future repairs.

It hasn't had an oil change in 20k miles, before that it was full service history and then of the road for 3/4 years so fluids, filters and cambelt will be priority. I have budgeted for a variator but as i'm doing the work myself, I might try the repair kit first as its only £9.
Goodness! I change the oil in TS and Busso engines every 6K miles....
20 is just shocking....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goodness! I change the oil in TS and Busso engines every 6K miles....
20 is just shocking....
Yeh that was my assumption based on no service stamp for that year but it clearly has been done since. It also had an engine treatment supposedly in an attempt to cure the noise. So better than I thought. I stick to 10k/1 year oil changes for fully synthetic oils.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts