Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys (and Girls???).

Long time reader, 1st-time poster (I think). Last winter, after the car had been stood for a few days the clutch wouldn't engage as I think the slave/master cylinder seals had gone hard. After about 10 pumps of the pedal I could get it into gear so I just cracked on and drove it. Anyways at the weekend I finally got around to fitting a new slave cylinder but for the life of me I can't get the system to bleed. I've tried the standard method of wifey working the pedal while I tweak the nipple...no joy. I tried drawing the fluid through with a vacuum pump...no joy. I've even tried using a large syringe to pump the fluid from the bleed nipple back up to the reservoir, ford transit fashion...no joy! I must have put over a litre of brake fluid through the system but still no pedal. Is there a special procedure that I need to use or do I also need to change the master cylinder???

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
If you disconnect the pipe to the slave cylinder, put your finger over the end and have someone press the pedal down, is there pressure? Sounds like there probably isn't, in which case I'd suspect the master cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pud.

I did pop the clip out of the push fitting that's just before the slave cylinder and after the wife gave 12 pumps there was just a little pressure when I pulled the 2 sections apart so I'm guessing the master cylinder is fooked. It doesn't look too bad to change though so I may as well change it since I've already done the slave.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Stupid question, is the brake fluid reservoir topped up? The fill for the clutch hydraulics is higher than the brakes to stop a clutch leak from killing the brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved. I dug out my old easy bleed kit to pressure bleed the system rather than using the pedal or vacuum pumps. The system was bleed in less than a minute...tonnes of trapped air bubbled through, so I'm guessing the other methods I tried are just too slow to able to clear the air through the system.

Thanks for the replies though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts