Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 spare keys that only open doors but do not start car or turn off alarm... They're no good to me if they don't start the car.. So being a newbie.. What can I do to sort them ???

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Forgive me for being obvious but are the batteries good? :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Battery might help with the alarm, but will have no affect on the starting......the immobiliser is a passive sensor, doesn't need any battery in the key.

It could be that someone has had some keys cut just to enable them to get into the car if the original keys were locked inside, but without getting the immobiliser chip cloned...... If that is the case, you might be able to get an Alfa dealer to code the keys to the car, but that only works if it is a "virgin" chip, and you'll probably need to get the code, from Alfa, at a cost.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both keys have battery but just noticed on key ring it states not programmed so hopefully they virgins...
I have a 5 digit code that came in paperwork with car is that anything to do with it... It sez refer to owners manual but ain't got one

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
....but without getting the immobiliser chip cloned...... If that is the case, you might be able to get an Alfa dealer to code the keys to the car, but that only works if it is a "virgin" chip, and you'll probably need to get the code, from Alfa, at a cost.....
Assuming they even contain an imobiliser transponder..... :ermm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts