Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right need to change discs & pads as the calipers are coming off to be painted, ideally i would like drilled discs.. I don't have a fortune to spend!! as i am about to get nearly 2k done in the bodyshop

And what pads?

Advise welcome!!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
How do you drive it?

If it is a road car, and needs to behave itself under all conditions, then I'd really be going for very standard road pads. What you want on the road is really good "cold" performance. If you start to cook the brakes driving hard, you have the choice to back off - but if you really, really need to stop suddenly, then you want the brakes to be performing well from cold.

Clearly if you drive like a loon or are tracking it, then the high temperature pads are a good option.

The Performance Friction pads that Autolusso do have a good rep, but expensive (£155)
DS2500s are similar.
Every time I've used EBC pads on anything, they've fallen apart.
I use bog standard Mintex on pretty much everything (£30 a box) and never had a problem, but I'm not hard on brakes.

Discs - MTEC seem to be sensibly priced, and I'd get grooved rather than drilled. Fitted them to a couple of cars, not had any problems at all. They're going on my GTA project next week....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you drive it?

If it is a road car, and needs to behave itself under all conditions, then I'd really be going for very standard road pads. What you want on the road is really good "cold" performance. If you start to cook the brakes driving hard, you have the choice to back off - but if you really, really need to stop suddenly, then you want the brakes to be performing well from cold.

Clearly if you drive like a loon or are tracking it, then the high temperature pads are a good option.

The Performance Friction pads that Autolusso do have a good rep, but expensive (£155)
DS2500s are similar.
I use bog standard Mintex on pretty much everything (£30 a box) and never had a problem, but I'm not hard on brakes.

Discs - MTEC seem to be sensibly priced, and I'd get grooved rather than drilled. Fitted them to a couple of cars, not had any problems at all. They're going on my GTA project next week....
Thanks for that, luckily i don't drive like a loon :) so it will not be as expensive as i first thought!
I like the look of the MTEC drilled discs but you think the grooved would be a better option?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Drilled or grooved discs do nothing for normal road use or even "spirited" road use. Only on a track does it make sense to have drilled or grooved discs for better cooling to prevent brake fade.

They will be noisier than plain discs.

If you want them for looks, that's one thing, but in terms of performance anywhere but on a track, you're better off with plain discs.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Agreed. I have a suspicion that grooved stay straight for longer, and they look nice as well. Drilled (rather than cast) holes have a rep for cracking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Standard it is then, are the MTEC discs with the protective coating worth getting?

May have some money left over for ARB at this rate :)

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Depends how fussy you are about the non swept parts (hub mainly) going a bit rusty. It doesn't bother me, and if it did, 5 minutes with a pot of hammerite would fix it.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Just paint the non swept parts before fitting the discs with a suitable heat-resistant paint if you are worried about rust.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
How do you drive it?

DS2500s are similar.

£100 not £155 anymore, on special offer

Performance Friction - 330mm Front Brake Pads - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Ned

1 - 19 of 19 Posts