Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I drive an Alfa Romeo 147 selespeed European car of the Year 2002

I have lost patience with the my local Alfa stealer ahem *dealer .. He wants to replace every component in the car. I knew my selespeed system was on the blink but he said no codes came up, funnily enough he recomended replacing the computer just to be sure !as a uni student I couldnt justify (afford) the expense.
I had the essentials fitted (a new fan belt/tensioner)
I could tell that they were grossly overcharging and printing their own cash in that workshop because of ignorant Alfa enthusiasts like myself.

After escaping with the shirt still on my back, I vowed to learn how to fix the car myself.

SO here I am left with a beautiful fully functioning Alfa. that does not start.

The car is Stuck in Reverse and therefore cannot start

here is a link to a video of the G-box in action

IMG 1445 - YouTube

I am try to engage neutral and a strained screeching/groaning noise eminates from the G-Box, followed by clicking (accumulator?)

If you have watched this link and have any idea where the problem may lay exactly, please post!

I have ruled out these components being the cause
Pump: OK
Gearstick: OK
Brake Switch: OK
FlyByWire: OK
Battery: OK
Fuses: OK

likely cause
accumulator?
a Solenoid?
Sensor?
Clutch rod?
destiny?

·
Registered
158 Posts
She can't start as she's in gear.

If you put her on Alfadiag or multiscan you can get her into neutral.

The non starting is a response to a separate issue.

You'll also be able to go through a process of elimination on your list. All of those on it can be checked via the software. That said having had similar I'd hazard a non expert guess at clutch release bearing and as it's inside a full clutch replacement is likely.

If you get into neutral and she starts she'll make a whining from the gearbox side if clutch is at issue, you can get a definitive by putting a camera into the box but first and foremost get her on a computer.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Anthony147 +1

guessing does not work for a selespeed ! diagnose ! download the software and buy a cable (preferably mine ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you Both for your quick replies!
I appreciate the advice.
I am really determined to fix this myself for the minimum cost and share my tech journey with others.

I am using a Multiscan-plus hardware interface device. (Attached to the Multiscan-Plus is a device that authenticates the system)

I plugged it in today with the ignition set to MAR.

Here is a link to all of the photos i have taken of the tool and current readings from the engine and gearbox. ( I know there are a few error codes there.. some irrelevant. , please indicate which ones are relevant to my issue above. (Lets keep this Thread on Topic)

ALFA147MULTISCAN Photos by montyphotobucket | Photobucket

It is clear that atleast some of the information is skewed (15 kmph road speed while I am completely stationary & clutch temp ~ 2000+C).
the readout reacts to throttle pressure etc. so I am getting a good connection for the most part.
Some aspects of the scanning tools (gearbox) interface were unobtainable as a connection dialogue appeared;it asks for the ignition to be on.. which is something I can not yet do. (FUSES ARE OK)

TWO QUESTIONS:

is it necessary to have the engine running to be able to use all the features of MULTISCAN ie. to activate and change gears (to neutral)?

Should I breach the starter motor to facilitate this (with all personal safety considerations) ?

keep up the helpful comments!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure about the compatibility of the HID you are using but I would suggest to download the free edition of Multiecuscan and check the following:

1. Selespeed oil tank: is it up to the mark? Make sure you fill with tutela oil.

2. Is your selespeed pump running when you open the driver door at the first time? If not then check the relay, it its clicking then relay is ok, if not then try to change the relay.
You said there is screeching/groaning noise, maybe the pump is at the end of its life.
The pump is located next to battery/in front of sele oil tank. Check if the sound is coming from there.

3. Check the clutch plate travel, should be 28.00-28.50 mm. From the multiscan I can see it is 537 mm, which a bit too high.

4. pressure should be 45-55 bar. Your multiscan is showing 13570 bar? if this is correct then for sure accumulator is shot.

above steps should get you to get the correct diagnostics, again I think you should download multiecuscan/alfadiag which is clearly compatible with your ECU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou - multiecuscan free edition here i come

1. Selespeed oil tank is on the mark, that was my first step on this slippery journey, before i lost my alfa cherry

2. Pump is raring to go. i removed the left front tire plate to get a good look at the pump and it is in good knick. (ive heard you can recondition the pump with audi brushes which i was prepared to try)
The Pump is activating for an acceptable length of time (4-6 seconds) which leads me to believe it is doing its best/pressurising the gearbox.

The noise i referred to and filmed(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYH2zWAOnOQ&feature=youtu.be) at the head of this Thread is definitely coming from the GearBox.
After i was last at the stealer *ahem dealer i noticed the piping was loose out of the selespeed reservoir. Pressure therefore could be the issue? .can anyone list the ways and common places a gearbox can lose pressure. (Pump and reservoir piping is now secure)

The figures in the readouts are surely beyond the realms of possibility (is this a calibration issue with the tool?)
I wonder.. Surely a piece of equiptment like MultiscanPlus can do all that is possible with the download multiecuscan? otherwise how is its $7000AU pricetag justified..

Thank-you keep 'em coming

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing has changed

she is still in reverse and unable to start conventionally

as for your previous advice Anthony... I have read all about clutch bearing issues and noisy gearboxes. The issues i face are not symptomatic of a clutch bearing issue
The dealer had a 50km test drive and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary with the gearbox and There was no noise the weekend it was last firing (24 hours after picking it up from the Alfa Dealer)

That stormy day: I parked it (*in reverse* my mistake), went to work...finished work.. and then when i tried to turn her back on: no joy. it has been in reverse ever since

Fresh ideas ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not my info but the source is as good as they come -

Noise, build up of swarf in the gearbox, selector rods can't move making here immobile (likely to require a box rebuild).

Getting her into neutral -
Disconnect and reconnect the actuator
Disconnect battery and put something across the battery wires to clear the Selespeed ECU

To actually get into neutral -
Remove 12mm Allen plug on top of actuator
Insert a 1/2 drive extension and twist to centre position
If done correctly it should be able to move downwards a bit as well. Anything else and it's still in a gear.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alfa selespeed 2002 147 sensor actuator

So this happened.. after 9 months of tinkering she finally starts.

After manually turning the car to neutral, and replacing all of the sensors and eventually disconnecting everything and reconnecting most things, she is purring again.

The selespeed error message is a given everytime i start the car, and i only can get reverse 50% of the time now (ironic I know).
the gears are flashing and i can only paddle up to 2nd MAXIMUM. it is a strange kind of second gear though, almost like a hybrid with third gear.

Her top speed now is 120 kph, which is still very good seeing as she was in a stationary coma for so long. She has a lot of trouble with hill climbs at slow speeds.oO0o...... i need to stop and let her slide back into 1st before proceeding, too often. I now avoid hills as much as i can help it.

There are currently no sensors attached to the actuator. the car is in a constant state of crisis on the dash board (VDC error, Motor Control System Errors) but she starts and runs every day :)

I have been driving it like this for a little while now with no problems other than those mentioned above. i am checking the oil and selespeed levels regularly now because i have learned how important constant care is to these sensitive Italian cars/brauds. Beautiful on the outside and crazy on the inside eh!

If anyone would like to make a comment on my now comparatively minor Alfa issues mentioned above, please do so your help has been greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad she's operating of sorts for you.

You planning on looking further into the minor irritations? with those going it is going to be rather hard to see if anything is actually on the way out before it goes critical.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Whats the pressure in the sele system, what is the clutch rod lenght ? how old is the clutch ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts