Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2002 Sportwagon and was overjoyed at the ease at which i could swap out the brake bulbs! Until I bought one from Halfords - instead of having the bayonet protrusions at the bottom of the metal part of the bulb they have one part half way down base and one at the base on the same bulb. I decided it was just Halfords being rubbish so ordered one from the Alfa Workshop and I got the same. Now I think it's me being rubbish.

Am i ordering the wrong bulb? - to fit both parts of bayonet need to be at the base like the one that came out. What bulb should I be asking for?

Alfa Romeo 156 Bulbs

I bought the top one on this link if you click enlarge image (as I see now!) has the sticky out bit half way down. However the 3rd one down has the bayonet at the base but this is a rear fog and reverse bulb!

Please advise

Thanks

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
The brake light bulb is in fact a combined brake and side light bulb, so twin filament, and therefore it has the offset pegs as you describe, to ensure that it is fitted correctly.......

So, I'm sorry, its more likely to be you than Halfords or Alfa which is being "rubbish" ;)

When I got my current 147 I couldn't get the nearside rear light to work, and couldn't work out why until I realised someone had fitted a single filament bulb in there - heaven only knows how......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh okay - thought it would be me but cant seem to get the bulb in there and there are only 2 ways of doing it - try it one way around then the other and the bracket (bulb holder) doesn't seem to cater for this shape...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The 12V 21/5W is a very standard bulb, used on many many cars (ie close to all of them!).
Either you are doing it wrong, or you broke/bent the holder getting the old one out.

Given the direction of this thread so far, are you sure you are fitting them in the correct place?
Brake/side lights are on the body part of the light unit, fog lights are on the bootlid/tailgate part.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the answer - thanks David - I lifted the tailgate and started trying to change the bulb which is probably the fog not thinking there were bulbs in the body of the car. Will tackle tonight - in the correct place. I guess a little forum humiliation and a couple of spare bulbs is no bad thing! Cheers

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Fair play for 'fessing up! ;)

The only daft question is the one not asked - so don't let this put you off asking for advice ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts