Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
had a rattle in my exhaust which turned out to be the CAT completely destroyed and turned to "mush" according to my local garage.
He's struggling to find a replacement can anyone suggest where i can get one please ?
and what possibilities of running CAT free or will i fail MOT emmisions tests etc ?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hi All,
had a rattle in my exhaust which turned out to be the CAT completely destroyed and turned to "mush" according to my local garage.
He's struggling to find a replacement can anyone suggest where i can get one please ?
and what possibilities of running CAT free or will i fail MOT emmisions tests etc ?

Thanks
David
Running CAT Free is a big No - will fail the MOT.

If the whole thing has had it, then I would go for a custom stainless system with a Sports CAT... Alfaholics do a complete package if you got DEEP pockets.

Another alternative is Cybox - they do a Full CAT Back Stainless System and the front pipe for TS models. If you contact them, they may even do a Sports CAT to go with it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and just contacts CATS direct who look like they can get the right one for £185 delivered
now to check what i can get as an "upgrade" :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running CAT Free is a big No - will fail the MOT.

If the whole thing has had it, then I would go for a custom stainless system with a Sports CAT... Alfaholics do a complete package if you got DEEP pockets.

Another alternative is Cybox - they do a Full CAT Back Stainless System and the front pipe for TS models. If you contact them, they may even do a Sports CAT to go with it. :thumbs:
blimey you are not kidding about deep pockets at alfaholics !
for £1300 i'd want to hang it on my wall !

will check cybox now

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
From personal experience avoid CATS DIRECT like the plague.

The CAT they supplied me lasted for 14 months (i.e. got me through one MOT, but not the next one) and they were absolute pigs when it came to refunding under guarantee, citing all manner of BS.

I eventually got my money back and replaced with a known good (2nd hand CAT) from Autolusso.

My advice is to purchase a known good (i.e. expensive) sports CAT from the likes of Alfaholics, or an OE 2nd hand CAT from a reliable source, such as AL.

The cheapy (<£200) aftermarket CATS all have significantly less precious metals within than an OE unit, hence the limited shelf life.

From memory I paid about £70 for the OE unit from AL - although this was 5yrs ago now!

p.s. no CAT at all will fail the MOT spectacularly. Some clean burning (older) engines will go through an MOT without one, but a TS is not one of them!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
You have a 2001 car. If it is a CF2 (1 cat, 1 lambda) then you will need to replace the cat however if you have a CF3 (3 cats, 3 lambda's) then you could potentially replace the cat with a straight through pipe and not effect the emisions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, that sounds good advice.

BM seem to be coming up as a resonable option - anyone had any experience ?

Than think i'm going with EB Spares for their CSC Stainless steel rear box with 1 silencer (should make it a bit nicer noise but not overly loud)

anyone any experience here ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a 2001 car. If it is a CF2 (1 cat, 1 lambda) then you will need to replace the cat however if you have a CF3 (3 cats, 3 lambda's) then you could potentially replace the cat with a straight through pipe and not effect the emisions.
Thanks for all the advice folks,

sounds like CF3 from descriptions / pictures I have found.
will ask about straight through.

damn these things are so complicated underneath, seems total overkill, 3 x CAT then 3 x silencers ?????

ah the joys of Alfa ownership..............

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Thanks for all the advice folks,

sounds like CF3 from descriptions / pictures I have found.
will ask about straight through.

damn these things are so complicated underneath, seems total overkill, 3 x CAT then 3 x silencers ?????

ah the joys of Alfa ownership..............
4 silencers on the CF2 version! (only 2 left on mine though).

Reactions: Dpickup

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
That's why I would never 100% decat a car. Only ever 1 set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why I would never 100% decat a car. Only ever 1 set.
ok so thanks for all the advice everyone, in the end i went for std CAT from BM, then normal mid section and a stainless steel, single silencer, rear section.
i.e. i'm down one silencer/

will get them fitted next week and report back.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And now installed....

Hi all,

Thanks for everyones help, i got the three pieces fitted last night - bit of a pain as the rear section which was now minus one silencer was now a different fit to the original part, so a bit of persuasion had to be used to fit it properly.

Sound wise its a bit "boomy" on idle but gives quite a nice noise at higher revs. Like all these things its only an exhaust with one less silencer so doesn't make your engine sound like a V6 but sound from exhaust is a bit "beefier"

Can't fault EB Spares, they were very helpful and knowledgable so highly recomended shame they didn't have the catalyst part as well, as i had to get this from ebay in the end which is always a worry as the descriptions are always vague, but as long as you buy from manufacturer part no. (Which when i eventually tracked it down was BM91292H) you shoukd be OK
There is a slightly cheaper version without the H which is "not type approved" - would probably work but don't quote me on it.

Hope this helps someone
David

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for everyones help, i got the three pieces fitted last night - bit of a pain as the rear section which was now minus one silencer was now a different fit to the original part, so a bit of persuasion had to be used to fit it properly.

Sound wise its a bit "boomy" on idle but gives quite a nice noise at higher revs. Like all these things its only an exhaust with one less silencer so doesn't make your engine sound like a V6 but sound from exhaust is a bit "beefier"

Can't fault EB Spares, they were very helpful and knowledgable so highly recomended shame they didn't have the catalyst part as well, as i had to get this from ebay in the end which is always a worry as the descriptions are always vague, but as long as you buy from manufacturer part no. (Which when i eventually tracked it down was BM91292H) you shoukd be OK
There is a slightly cheaper version without the H which is "not type approved" - would probably work but don't quote me on it.

Hope this helps someone
David
The exhaust noise will settle over time as the inside coats with carbon. You won't get a true noise untill you have put around 2k miles on it.

Reactions: Dpickup

·
Registered
643 Posts
CSC Stainless Steel Rear Box

thanks, that sounds good advice.

BM seem to be coming up as a resonable option - anyone had any experience ?

Than think i'm going with EB Spares for their CSC Stainless steel rear box with 1 silencer (should make it a bit nicer noise but not overly loud)

anyone any experience here ?
Hello there!

So my 147 2.0L T-Spark has the CSC Rear box but I bought it like this so i really don't know what the comparison is apart from seeing other 147s and the hilariously big rear box hanging down.
The CSC looks way better (as in flush with the underneath pretty much)

Sounds nice as far as I can tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts