Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

first post on here so any advice would be much appreciated.

looking to buy my first alfa but not sure if this is a good buy? im going to have a look at the weekend and would love to know what to look for. i've done a fair bit of reading so far and i've picked up a few things.

the car is 'Y' plate 2001 60k,fsh, last service 19/12/09 and up for mot in aug 2010. its up for £2500

the thing im unsure of is the gearbox, any advice/tests to do on that would be great :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
If a Selespeed is what you fancy , go for it !. Test drive the car, make sure there are no warning lights, make sure the gear changes are smooth and not unusual, check all fluids, listen for knocks and squeaks from suspension, check brake pad wear and discs, make sure car idles correctly and pulls cleanly through the rev range. Lastly some people have problems with selespeeds as some people have problems with manual cars but it is advisable to buy the alfa diag and lead for your laptop as this can save you money from visits to the steelers. There will be plenty of people giving you there Knowledge.
Good luck and make sure it really is the one you want.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
seems alot, my 02 was £1600 with 80k miles end of 2008.

are there any decent indy in Leicester though? seles ar fine, but a back plan is always a good idea, as many places do not have a clue how to fix them, although they are not that complicated in reality.

See when the clutch was done, 8 hour job on a sele, and the cambelt as that will be due again at 72k miles.

HTH

·
Registered
921 Posts
Price seems a bit optimistic; I would have thought max £2k for a selespeed that age, even considering the low mileage. Personally I would not recommend a selespeed as your first Alfa; too much potential for (expensive) problems. However, if you're set on it, first make sure you have someone local who can work on it. Remember it's 9 years old: any car that age will have some issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts