Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all - new owner here of an x reg 2001 156 sportwagon. loving it so far :thumbup:

So I noticed that my offside rear wheel was steaming hot the other day, and had brake fade too, so did a bit of forum searching and learned that the sticky calipers are quite a common problem.
So I removed the wheel today and lo and behold, couldnt turn the disc by hand as the pads were binding. Stripped the lot out and cleaned and greased the sliders, took out the piston and checked for wear/rust - seemed ok. put it all back together, wound the piston back in etc,new dot4 and bled the calipers and tested. seemed ok. but after a 45min drive tonight, the wheel was steaming hot again. :censored:

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Check the handbrake cable is operating but you more than likely need a new caliper. I've taken mine apart so many times to clean up as you did but once the rubber protectors have gone on the pistons they just become sticky. Think I paid about £60 for a new caliper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - handbrake is ok i think - new cables recently. ok - new caliper it is.... :depressed:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts