Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: 2001 156 2.4JTD Problems

Evening All.

Sorry for just jumping straight into asking for help. I will start an introduction when my Alfa works :lol:

Ive just recently bought a 156 2.4 JTD, as a runabout to keep my E36 M3 GT2 in good condition.

The car was going fine until today when.

I changed the air filter. Attempted to change the Diesel Filter until i realised that i had in fact been given the wrong one, so replaced the old one, then changed the oil fiter and oil.

When i started up again. i had the red engine light (engine management light??) and a weird yellow water jar looking light beside the speedo.

The car now is not making full power, is only revving to 3100rpm, which is odd.

So plugged it into a friends diagnostic machine. and the following codes are being thrown up:

P0236 - Overboost Valve
P0638 - Flow Modif. Throttle
P0404 - EGR
P0101 - Air Flow Meter

is very odd that this is happening directly after me servicing the car.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation and where to start to try and get the car back to its former self??

Many Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i personally reckon you have dislodged some wiring or you have contaminated maf after replacing air filter (did you clean air box out )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i personally reckon you have dislodged some wiring or you have contaminated maf after replacing air filter (did you clean air box out )
gave it a quick wipe with a cloth. i rechecked a lot of wiring especially round the diesel filter area but all seems good :confused:

ETA: Plugged it onto a SnapOn Diag computer which was showing the Absolute Throttle Position maxing at 15.3%

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
gave it a quick wipe with a cloth. i rechecked a lot of wiring especially round the diesel filter area but all seems good :confused:

ETA: Plugged it onto a SnapOn Diag computer which was showing the Absolute Throttle Position maxing at 15.3%
did you clear codes then re read them ? as they could be very old codes that could mask your problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you clear codes then re read them ? as they could be very old codes that could mask your problem
The SnapOn didnt have the right card to read through OBD, but tried another protocol, but couldnt clear. Plugged it into another with was showing the codes above, cleared and is still showing the codes after a drive

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The SnapOn didnt have the right card to read through OBD, but tried another protocol, but couldnt clear. Plugged it into another with was showing the codes above, cleared and is still showing the codes after a drive
i think those codes are a sympton off an electrical issue not necessarily as codes are shown

ps codes where shown twice as the same ????????????? from 2 different examiners?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think those codes are a sympton off an electrical issue not necessarily as codes are shown
Im thought it couldve been the MAF, so i unplugged it took it for a drive to see if it was any better when unplugged. made no difference.

Just feels like the car has had a limiter put on at 3000 rpm. and im not sure its taking a long time to get there, ie not boosting fully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ps codes where shown twice as the same ????????????? from 2 different examiners?
The Snap On machine couldnt show codes due to the machine not having the correct chip to show through OBD, so the codes above were brough up on a Launch Machine.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
well when you get correct code reader you should have p0100 and p0110 as this is usually directly caused by un plugging maf ....... right clean out your egr valve with plusgas and your map sensor(mounted on top of inlet plenum) your warning light on dash (yellow) is caused by probably plug on base of filter not connected or broken...then check your small bore hoses and all clips are secure around all hoses and that there are no splits

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Hi
The yellow light is the fuel filter light, double check to see if you fitted it properly! Get some contact cleaner and spray your maf from above, just take take the pipe over to get to it, as above do the same with the map and use carb cleaner on the egr;) but it does sound like you've nocked a plug some where tho! Check your fuses too , had loads of problems with the gtv, turned out to be a 5 amp nocked loads of sensors out:rolleyes:

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
The yellow light is the fuel filter light, double check to see if you fitted it properly! Get some contact cleaner and spray your maf from above, just take take the pipe over to get to it, as above do the same with the map and use carb cleaner on the egr;) but it does sound like you've nocked a plug some where tho! Check your fuses too , had loads of problems with the gtv, turned out to be a 5 amp nocked loads of sensors out:rolleyes:

Good luck
will give that a blast cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to Update:

Changed the Diesel filter. Covered some bare wires tot he underside of the filter where it plugs in and that has put the Diesel Filter light out.

Still got the Red Engine Light on, and still no power and only revving to 3100rpm.

Going to try and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 or so minutes. See if that helps.

Ive checked over where ive been working and i cant see (and visible) plugs disconnected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi chek the MAF-sensor(mass air flow) is pluged over the air filter
or chek the tube plug on the intercoler but i thing you must see all the conection on the MAF sensor put on the komp.r diagnostik....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi chek the MAF-sensor(mass air flow) is pluged over the air filter
or chek the tube plug on the intercoler but i thing you must see all the conection on the MAF sensor put on the komp.r diagnostik....
I though originally it was the MAF that was gone. so i removed it and took it a drive to see if it was any better. No difference. exactly the same. So it cant be the MAF?

Since my last post i have sprayed cleaner down at the MAF, cleaned the connections to the relays i moved when changing the air filter. No difference.

Losing heart quickly in this car and i only have it 3 days :lol:

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 2001 156 2.4 jtd had the egr siezed open. My mate got a 156 2.4jtd which some times run and other times would not run it had a blocked diesel fuel filter and low pressure pump in the tank.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I though originally it was the MAF that was gone. so i removed it and took it a drive to see if it was any better. No difference. exactly the same. So it cant be the MAF?

Since my last post i have sprayed cleaner down at the MAF, cleaned the connections to the relays i moved when changing the air filter. No difference.

Losing heart quickly in this car and i only have it 3 days :lol:
why cant it be maf ? if engine has learnt poor readings from a faulty maf when you disconnect maf it will run accordingly to these values IMO

so youve bought someones problem they couldnt sort out maybe ...but as ive said clean egr and map ..........dont spray maf with cleaner .if it is shot no amount of cleaning will resolve an internal electrical fault:thumbs:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its because it can see you keeping a bag of german..... on the drive and not caring about her. Sensitive machines are our bellas ;)
unfortunately the Alfa will have to live with the BMW harmoniously. The M3 is here to stay, not sure the same can be said for the Alfa :lol:

:inlove:

My 2001 156 2.4 jtd had the egr siezed open. My mate got a 156 2.4jtd which some times run and other times would not run it had a blocked diesel fuel filter and low pressure pump in the tank.
Im beginning to believe it could be stuck.

why cant it be maf ? if engine has learnt poor readings from a faulty maf when you disconnect maf it will run accordingly to these values IMO

so youve bought someones problem they couldnt sort out maybe ...but as ive said clean egr and map ..........dont spray maf with cleaner .if it is shot no amount of cleaning will resolve an internal electrical fault:thumbs:
Tomorrow morning will reveal all. were going to start stripping at stuff to find out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts