Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

With both cars in the garage I have a choice of a Astra Hire Car we have whilst the beemers is in the bodyshop or a 156 on loan from Autolusso.

Vital Statistics

156 1.6 Tspark
Power (bhp/rpm) [email protected] bhp/rpm
Power (bhp) 120 bhp
Torque [email protected] lb/ft
Maximum Speed (mph) 124 mph
Acceleration (0 - 62 mph) 10.5 seconds

Astra 1.6 16v (previous generation)
So bland the internet tells me nothing about it other than I think it has 115bhp unless its an ecotec which has 100bhp

Well, I drove from Autolusso to home in the 156, it's had a long life and with a little over 125K on the clock I was surprised to find that nearly everything on it worked as originally intended. Its obviously a very different care to my GTA but I still enjoyed driving it, seats were confortable despite lacking lumbar support and the ride and handling was pretty good, confortable yet still sporty enough to cling to corners well and the engine note sounded pretty good too. On the motorway it was fine in the fast lane despite it's welterweight engine and I got home with no issues other than having to cope with a slight smell which may have been a stain on the seat from a previous loanee (ewwww).

I went to town in the Astra today and as a direct comparison I found it to be wallowy yet underdamped which gave you the impression that they were trying to give a sporty setup but when you try to be sporty it rolls around and makes you wish you hadn't, the engine is pretty gutless in whatever gear you go for and the cabin also has a strange chemical smell to it which I recognise from a previous Astra hire car we had.

In conclusion the Astra is a machine for getting you from A to B, its for people who don't actually give a rats *** about driving, they just don't want to walk or use public transport either so they if they have to have a car, well it might as well be a cheap one with all the soul of a dead stick.

In comparison the old Alfa still feels very much like it's entirely setup for someone who enjoys driving, yes it may not be the fastest thing out there but it still handles well and still has the capability to enthrall despite it's age and mileage, given the choice if I had 10K to spend on a car and I wasn't that bothered about ultimate performance I'd be happy to go with an older 156 with a small engine and pocket the difference or spend it on loose women and booze.

Thanks go to Autolusso for lending me their customer shed and Europcar for having no imagination whatsoever.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi, agree..my 156 goes like stink all the way to the red line, and at 55,000 miles on the clock still drives like new. I've owned it for 4 enjoyable years (10 years old now) and still gleaming in metallic red, no rust, no dents, and interior still very good, no worse than any other brand i've owned in the past, its also a daily driver and does get driven quite hard sometimes.
All electrics work including aircon, seats, mirrors, everything etc..
So not as fragile as people say, also 100x better looking than the dull alternatives from other car makers.
Alfa v Astra...the italian will always win the beauty contest....

Edit;Ah weebob, yep needed to alter that **** up eariler but have 2 x very demanding children 4 and 5 so didn't get the chance.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I did a stint at the UK importers for Vauxhall, based in Immingham, so we had about 3,000 of these new Astra things on our terminal even before they went on UK release.

I can honestly say hand on heart that the new Astra is by far the more horrible, poorly built cheap shoddy heap of **** I have ever driven.

the interior is bathed in red lights hidden within dash trims, which makes it feel like your sat in a prostitutes bedroom. the chrome trims round the dials are plastic, look plastic and fall off. the buttons on the dash are rubbish. I was tuning the radio on one one day when I was bored and the button got stuck, so I couldnt turn the radio off, it stayed on even with key out. if you make the mistake of buying one that has an actual handbrake lever it doesn't fit, at all. it doesnt line up with anything on the dash, its just plonked in there at random. the power steering, occassionally and for no reason sometimes just stops. I did also drive a couple that not only pulled to the left but physically steered 1/2 a turn to the left. you get in some of them to drive them away and a warning pops up on the dash saying "theft atempted" yet it does nothing to stop you. the ride is terribly uncomfortable, it handles bumps with the grace and poise of a warm jelly. however by far the worst fault is the gearbox. the 6 speed lift up reverse is terrible. the way the gate is set for reverse some of them if you push all the way to the left and go up for first, you hit the gate as if you were heading for reverse, like the gear stick goes too far across, so you have to try coming back a bit and then going up, so you end up hunting for first gear, not funny. better yet, the lift up reserve fails, regularly, so you think you are in 1st and you **** off in reverse, not funny!

I could go on. having driven literally hundreds of the new astras I dont think I ever found a good one. lord help anyone that accidentally spec'd an auto box as well! best I can think is that the airconditioning was nice a cold rofl

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
A mate of mine has a last shape 1.6 turbo astra. It's a pretty quick, managed 200bhp on minisports rolling road. However it is just not for me. Completely bereft of any character. Just dull. The ride is shocking, bone smashingly jarring. They weight a stupid amount as well.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
not funny. better yet, the lift up reserve fails, regularly, so you think you are in 1st and you **** off in reverse, not funny!
Haha, that happened to me, I thought it was my crap driving. First time I ever drove on my own in an Enterprise hire car. Nearly rammed some poor chump behind me at a roundabout.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Thanks go to Autolusso for lending me their customer shed and Europcar for having no imagination whatsoever.
We're picking up a 155 1.8 16v TS tomorrow, it needs a gearbox but has got a fair bit of MOT left on it. We've also got a gearbox that will fit (from a 2.0 16v). Do we break it or make a courtesy car out of it? I say courtesy car, 155s are cool :cool: and the CF1 engine never seems to give up. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
We're picking up a 155 1.8 16v TS tomorrow, it needs a gearbox but has got a fair bit of MOT left on it. We've also got a gearbox that will fit (from a 2.0 16v). Do we break it or make a courtesy car out of it? I say courtesy car, 155s are cool :cool: and the CF1 engine never seems to give up. :thumbs:
155's are simply cool. Watched one on the aonw rolling road day. Did make me want one. Looked at a couple in this area and both were dogs. Shame it's hard to find a good'en

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that might be interesting, what about an era's of alfa loan pool, GTV, Spider, 155, 145, 156, 166, etc?

P.S. Maybe I didn't make it clear, it's a previous shape 2010 Astra, not the brand new one.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Now that might be interesting, what about an era's of alfa loan pool, GTV, Spider, 155, 145, 156, 166, etc?
We've got a few 146s, two 147s, quite a lot of 156s, a GTV, a Rover 25 GTi, a 166, a 5.4 litre V12 BMW 7-series, a Peugeot 406 diesel, and an MG ZR. Our 3.2 track slag normally makes a cracking courtesy car but unfortunately the throttle pot has packed up and we've got a bit too much on to fix it at the minute, so its sat in the yard looking sorry for itself :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've got a few 146s, two 147s, quite a lot of 156s, a GTV, a Rover 25 GTi, a 166, a 5.4 litre V12 BMW 7-series, a Peugeot 406 diesel, and an MG ZR. Our 3.2 track slag normally makes a cracking courtesy car but unfortunately the throttle pot has packed up and we've got a bit too much on to fix it at the minute, so its sat in the yard looking sorry for itself :(
quite a collection, you shoulda fixed the track slag n given me that :cry:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Its a bad day for anyone that ends up with pug or the rovers.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts

P.S. Maybe I didn't make it clear, it's a previous shape 2010 Astra, not the brand new one.
My mates just bought a New Shape 2010 Astra.

A 1.6 SRi (which is now a trim level, not a mechanical spec).

Quiet, smooth, detached insulated from the road. Modestly well-specified, but not outstanding (MP3 connectivity - 3.5mm socket for your iPod, Zune, phone etc).

A step-back, IMHO, from his previous 2002 Stilo 1.6 Active, purchased from new. Still he was set on either a SEAT Leon or Astra, never was going to get an ALFA but couldn't be swayed to stay with FIAT, either Grande Punto Evo or Bravo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts