Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests I have a 2000 mile 9 country alps trip next year and with many mountain passes to do my brakes are crape at the best of times so upgrade will have to be done. What sort of pads /discs do you run.
Also, it it a good mod to powerflex the front suspension as its a bit all over the place under breaking.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If brakes are in good condition they should be fine regardless, but if you really want to change something then a set of Ferodo DS2500's up front would be my choice.
Powerflexing the front is a good upgrade, especially the lower rear arm mount.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Ditto the above about the front power flex, however until your bushes are gone it shouldn't be all over the place under braking, check none are binding

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I added Brembo GT Sport disks
on the front of the 159 and EBC red pads.

Was very happy with the improved braking.

2000 miles sounds a lot but is just
a return trip to the UK for me which
I did 3 times in the Brera.

Watch out for tyres as when I had the Brera
I picked up punctures like no tomorrow and
the 18s were a b'stard to source in France
at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Braided lines, MTEC grooved, dimpled and vented disks, Super Blue racing fluid and decent pads (EBC Yellow, Brembo Sport, DS2500 etc)

On the suspension front, Powerflex + Bilstein/Eibach is a great mod for general handling, but if its diving under breaking its the callipers so consider getting them refurbished before any other mods.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
the biggest improvement you will make is by changing to braided lines and flushing all the flud through with new (so long as your calipers are all working as they should)

discs just get good quality oe spec same with the pads.
bed them in correctly

make sure you have decent tyres all around and the pressure is correct.

I drove down to italy in my 156 this year and went via the alps and the St bernard pass can really recommend it, was a fantastic drive

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
A little confused why the need to upgrade anything.:confused:

This year we did 2000 miles to the South of France, return. That was in the Brera fully loaded, via the Rue de Napleon on the way back, plus a tour of the Verdon gorge. Standard discs and pads.

Last year we did 2700 miles in the Spider to Italy and back, Simplon pass there, the old St Bernard pass coming back (not the tunnel), plus up and down mountains whilst there. That was on standard pads and discs.

Cars stopped when asked, no fade, no dramas. Save your money for wine and food.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have Tarox Sport discs (drilled & grooved) all round, with Ferodo DS Sport pads and Gulf Racing Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

Tarox are not a cheap option but they are top quality and perform really well :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts