Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the good ladies MGF s showing signs oif head gasket failure, however, a not so trusty worthy mechanic friend of the family had a look at it on the drive and reckons the bottom end is knackered - anyway i can verify this as it just seemed like he did not want to do the job as he owes her a favour or 2. thanks

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If the big end is going/gone then I would expect to hear some knocking from the engine when it is rev'd ...

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
If coolant has got into the oil then it may well have taken out the bottom end.

I take it there is loads of mayonaise inside the cam cover?

Welcome to Rovertech.net is a good forum for Rovers/MG's, trust me they know a bit about K series head gaskets. ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If coolant has got into the oil then it may well have taken out the bottom end.

I take it there is loads of mayonaise inside the cam cover?

Welcome to Rovertech.net is a good forum for Rovers/MG's, trust me they know a bit about K series head gaskets. ;)
cheers guys no real signs of mayo so fingers crossed - will check out that other forum :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
apparently its a very common problem with the k series in the mgf.
Its common on all K series, although the 1.6 and 1.8 VVC are the worst.

My dad had a rover 214 as a runabout. He bought it cheap as the head gasket had gone. We got it fixed and 12 months on it went again. :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
There is a kit you can buy now from parts suppliers that puts the problem to bed once and for all apparently. I didn't read the article thoroughly but iirc it involves some kind of crankcase supports to improve the clamping and head location and a new type gasket. There's probably details on the Rover forums already mentioned.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I think there are several causes Alfafamily.. There is the clamping issue that you mention.

There is also the fact that the cylinder head is located on plastic dowels, the low coolant capacity and the fact that the head gasket is made from a type of fibre with a silicone track instead of a proper metal layered type.

The MGF also suffers from a thermal shock when the thermostat opens, due to the distance between the radiator and the engine.

And we thought the TS engine design was flawed.. It is a paragon of good engineering compared to a K series.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its unfortunate as the k series is such a good engine just has these major flaws!!!

If you get the following done though you should not suffer HGF:

Fit a newer type (found on later TFs) remote thermostat (forgot the full name, but search the forums..)
Fit the new "Land Rover" head gasket when replaced.
Make sure the under car metal pipes to the rad are not corroded.
Fit a low level sensor in the coolant.

After that about £1000 worth of work is done you should have years and years of trouble free motoring (maybe... :wow: )

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The K-series had some sort of revolutionary method of heating up some of the coolant in the engine while keeping 'the other bit' stone cold - along with the coolant inside the radiator.
The actual volume of the water ways in the engine is small, primarily because it's a tiny block relative to it's actual engine capacity, meaning that it heats up really quickly, which is good for efficiency, but terrible for 'thermal shock' when the 'stat opens. Also due to the small block it lacks torsional rigidity and these 2 issues cause the HGF.

Fitting a 'pressure release' 'stat will sort most issues out, and a decent indy can change the gasket in quick time - should cost £300 to £400 (including a skim if required) (mine was £275 +vat)
You may as well get a new water pump and cam belt while you're at it (price of parts only - no additional labour)

BTW the PR 'stat allows a small amount of warmed coolant to circulate even when the engine is cool - this reduces thermal shock and should prevent this issue in future.

The last poster is corect about the landrover gasket - I think they are 2 thin gaskets instead of one - just make sure you get a LR gasket not a cheap Ebay thing!

Not all doom and gloom.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car is in Rovertec in Stockton on Tees the head has gone and they will do the mods and fit the new style gasket as well as crack testing the head etc......cost £800 the Mrs will be happy.......NOT!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Car is in Rovertec in Stockton on Tees the head has gone and they will do the mods and fit the new style gasket as well as crack testing the head etc......cost £800 the Mrs will be happy.......NOT!!!!! :)

£800 is slightly steep, I'd been happy to pay £600 and at a push £700 - if it was coming back valeted and polished! Oh well - if you know the garage and trust them so be it. Touch wood, it should see you right for a few years to come.

A

·
0 Posts
Part of the labour charge on this job has to be for clearing the cooling system of oil. Also I believe the mods dictate removal of the sump. It's all going to add up.
I spoke to a chap who had his Rover 75 done at a Rover dealer a couple of years back whose bill was £1200. They changed the rad and all of the hoses as well.:eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is going to be with them for a week and they are also replacing all the coolant pipes, apparently they are badly corroded, as well as doing the other mods that are recommended to cure the problem as well as sending the head away for crack testing etc....seems fair enough to me but its the mrs car not mine, funds will be coming out of her shoe+clothing pot!!! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts