Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

First of all I've got to say that I have "borrowed" my OH's account here, I know nothing about Alfa Romeos and I'm just interested in other people opinions on the following.

We have a 1974 2000GTV which is in need of restoration, we've had it for a year or so and so far it's not been started. I'm told it's fairly original, it has 56,000 genuine miles with history to back this up. It was originally ordered (in UK spec)and delivered to Alfa Romeo in Milan, as the original owner was working over there, he used it all around Europe before finally returning to England in 1978 bringing the car with him, hence it is registered on an S registration. We have looked into contacting the DVLA for the car to be given a 1974 plate as the logbook states it is a 1974 car and I have the original order to prove when it was first registered, I know enough to know that the earlier the car, the more desirable they seem to be, but surely if you change the registration all the documented history becomes useless? I should mention that thanks to google I have found out that the original owner appears to have been and still is very big in the film industry, and has worked on many blockbuster films.

The OH is undecided as to sell or not, he has quite a few projects on the go and I'm thinking it's going to be a good few years before he gets round to this one. selling it now would free up funds to put into other projects, keeping it and restoring it will cost a fortune looking at the price of panels etc.....

I've surfed ebay to try and get an idea of what it's worth and I really feel non the wiser as they seem to sell from a couple of thousand to upwards of £50k depending on the condition.

What I'm not clear on is the consistency of the market. Are these prices that have always been this high or are they that high as a fad which will soon pass and it won't be worth very much? I look at things like this car as investments, if the money is put into it I want to be fairly sure it will still be there in a few years time, not like the housing market. Do they actually fetch these prices or are the sellers optimistic?

I know Alfa's are bought with the heart and not the head, and that they always seem to break down but I really really don't want to fall out with the OH by forwarding an uneducated argument if you get what I mean.

If anyone can offer me their opinion I'd be grateful. I know that if the car was restored, and restored correctly , a price tag like they are on ebay for will buy an awful lot of shoes and handbags, but I've worked out that to do the work it's looking like an awful lot of cash even if you do most of the work yourself.

Do you put the money, love sweat and tears into it or do you sell as it is and let someone else do the work, and then regret it when you see it in concourse condition at some Alfa Romeo meet??? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
So much depends on the condition yours is actually in as restorations generally swallow up more money than you expect. It is also recognised that it is cheaper to buy a restored car than to undertake one, particularly a professional job.

As to values, they do seem to be steadily rising.

I'm not altogether sure where you're seeing upwards of £50k unless you are referring to GTAm replicas or Evocations, or much higher for the real deal.

2000GTVs would fetch nothing like that. A true concours total resto might fetch mid-20's, a very tidy/older resto high teens with good, decent standard usable ones may now be in the low teens. I've seen the odd basket case claimed to be suitable for restoration asking as much as £5k and reasonable to fairly good runners which almost certainly need money spending on them between £7k and £10k.

Hope that helps and good luck.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
If it requires a full resto you won't get the money back for some years so you would have to keep it to realise a return. For instance if it needs the cills and floor you are looking at a minimum of £5,000 and if it's bad there it is almost certain that other parts will need looking at so you can keep throwing money at them. But that's what many of us do because we love them :)
Those that you have seen on ebay are as GTV Jim said, are GTA reproductions and the like, magnificent motors but the engines alone are costing beyond £10,000 :eek:, then a top respray so you can see the ££££'s adding up.
However, if the GTV only needs tidying and is in good condition it might fetch £12-15,000. But if it requires significant work a lot less.
Top quality 2000 GTVs are fetching £20,000 tops so people rarely get their money back on them. Even doing things yourself the costs still seem to mount up :eek:
Without seeing the car it is difficult to be more precise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts