Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having just acquired this car (1976 RHD imported from Belgium although originally from South Africa), it seems both outer headlamps have been replaced during its stay in Belgium - consequently they are the wrong type for the UK (I'm told). Having had a look at various parts web sites I'm a little unsure as to exactly how I choose the appropriate ones for the UK :confused: - does anyone have any pointers about this ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
You have LHD units so they point in the wrong direction and will dazzle oncoming traffic - I'm surprised you got through the MOT with them. Chances are they are standard 7" units and can be replaced with any off the shelf equivalent, halogen H4 types are cheap and give better light than originals. But, if you don't already have them, I would also recommend adding a couple of relays into the circuit - you'll get brighter lights and help prolong the life of the fragile switch.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Short term you can mask off the headlamp lenses to remove the light which will be dazzling ocoming cars. The inverse of those headlamp cutout masks we all fit when we drive in europe. That'll get you to a safe, working condition.

Difficult to describe but basically mask off the bit of the lens pattern that sticks up above the horizontal, back down to horizontal. Or line up in front of a wall and just use trial and error to mask off until the offside pattern up is removed on dip beam. Either use an off the shelf one from halfrauds or just black masking tape.

For new headlamps talk to the suppliers, we are well served with some very experienced suppliers who know these cars way better than I ever will, so use their experience. EB, Highwood, Classicalfa or Alfaholics will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and tips - yes in fact I have had to put cutout masks on the headlamps at the moment to keep it legal. I'll check out the suppliers you mention tomorrow :) The point about relays is a good one too - I'll check that and definitely add one if it's not there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blimey, talk about fast service - I e-mailed Highwood Alfa on Saturday, got a response from Chris on Sunday, confirmed the order yesterday morning and it has just arrived - 2 nice new headlamps + rubber seals etc. I also ordered the proper rear number plate holder as the car used to have (this unfortunately got ditched while the car lived in Belgium, as you can't use the "square" number plate shape there and they removed it). Well done Highwood / Chris !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts