Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, The long awaited/overdue removal of the dreaded tin-worm is officially underway.

Work commenced on Christmas eve and has been a little erratic in its progress so far.

I'm hoping that you can see the images of progress so far thru this link....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2754794221888.135823.1018655147&type=3&l=5058cd2b46

(if it doesn't work then i'll have to explore other ways of adding images, as I don't want to be uploading images to more than one site all the way thru, just to save time, and so as not to repeat oneself :thumbs:)

THEE biggest decision I keep thinking i've made my mind up on, but then start thinking over again is weather or not to change colour while stripped down to a rolling shell.........

Original Olive Green, or Stromboli Grey (modern but somehow not out of place me thinks;))

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmmm I think Grey may look rather fetching :cool:
Me too, thats why i'm struggling to dismiss the idea. I keep going back to the 'keep it original' train of thought tho :confused:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It's a vote for the original green from me. It's a great colour that somehow just doesn't work on moderns (too much metal maybe) but looks great on Bertone Coupes and Berlina's. One of my favourite Alfa Colours from the 60's / 70's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ian happy new year, wow it's looking like you are on the way to achieving great things with your car, I have sent you a facebook friend request Bobb Kritz, I would like to follow the progress of your car. Are you doing all the work yourself? Now about the colour change, I have alsways felt that a grey or silver Berlina looks awesome, very executive especially with the chrome trim sparkling against the colour, in fact I'm thinking of changing my white Berlina to a modern silver colour, however my biggest issue is how it will affect the value in case I'm to sell the car. I Love the original green on your car, it's very unique. Please keep the Berlina thread alive.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far its all doom and gloom in the rust department, as you may have seen in the latest addition to the pics over the weekend. Nothing I hadn't bargained on, but still a bit dissapointed that someone has been inside the sills and arches before now, repaired them (badly) and then not bothered to treat the repairs with cavity wax, so all the 'new' bits of metal are as bad, if not worse than some of the original:(

Going more towards sticking to original green colour, but still wouldn't rule out a change.

Thought of having some pics photo-shopped to see what it would look like in Grey:)

Top tip for anyone looking to buy an old car,

DON'T buy the tidy looking one (unless you know it and/or it has some good photographic evidence of restoration.
DO buy the rough looking rusty one (so long as all the bits are there) 'cos then, when you've had all the pain and cost of sorting the rust and having it painted, you know whats underneath that shiney new paint job:thumbs:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Love the grey and think it would look good on the Berlina but its the colour of every other car these days. The green is rare and stands out so that would make me go for that alone.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its officially 40 years old in november and I keep telling myself it has been green for all its life, albeit various shades, so why change it.......

Could be worse, could be beige, or some other dodgy '70's colour:vomit:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, it hurts when you dig and find what you were looking for, anyway so long as she is for keeps at least you will rest easy once shes done, I dont know about you but I think I'll get slightly nervous If I'm caught in the rain, the thought of rust re-occuring. Do you think you will feel like it's a different car if you paint a different colour, having had that colour since you got her? I realised mine was originally white after all, looking in the nooks and crannies, I think it got a replacement door and hood during the last resto, I've seen some petty cool white ones, Ill make her look the best with a nice Italian flag badge at the rear, and polished silver bits to spice her up a notch. I'd love to have Panasport wheels like yours, sporting a polished dish lip.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Its officially 40 years old in november and I keep telling myself it has been green for all its life, albeit various shades, so why change it.......

Could be worse, could be beige, or some other dodgy '70's colour:vomit:
It's all a question of taste and what you want to do with your Berlina. I'm sure it will score more points in a concourse if it is original down to the last bolt and nut incl. exterior and interior colours. If you want to just to drive it and like a certain colour it's fine, but if it's a bit special it may harm resale value. I personally didn't choose my Spider 1970's colour but like the Farina Rosso which was one af the original colours for the year. It was original white.
I would go for an original gray or green if I was you.
Erik

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Keep her as original as possible matey:D Can't wait to see the finished article. Ready for SAD / NAD?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Si, I think it's fair to say SAD is out of the question, I was aiming at CAD for the Giro, but that too looks doubtful. NAD, maybe....

·
Registered
119 Posts
OMG !!!!:wow:

Fine art learning the old tried and tested method of welding to fresh air !!!!
Been there and got the tee shirt.

Good luck with the project and get rid of that polyfiller on the rear arch , Tinworms hibernation quarters.

PS more photos !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hallo GreenBerlina,
just saw your photos on Facebook. I also just began some restoration work on my Berlina, but not so extensive. I'll replace the wood applications on dashboard and center console. Where the speaker is there will be wood as it should be.
The rest is mechanical stuff: Braking system, transmission and gearbox are being reviewed. The heating system will be completely renewed. The wipers need a new motor(?). I first thought the problem was the electrical connection to the interrupor, but it wasn't.

Here are some photos of my car:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.338733439483221.78676.100000397027110&type=3&l=d29ab449ad

Good luck with your restoration work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hallo GreenBerlina,
just saw your photos on Facebook. I also just began some restoration work on my Berlina, but not so extensive. I'll replace the wood applications on dashboard and center console. Where the speaker is there will be wood as it should be.
The rest is mechanical stuff: Braking system, transmission and gearbox are being reviewed. The heating system will be completely renewed. The wipers need a new motor(?). I first thought the problem was the electrical connection to the interrupor, but it wasn't.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.338733439483221.78676.100000397027110&type=3&l=d29ab449ad

Hey Antonio, nice car, very interesting colour on the Berlina never seen that colour before, I have just facebook requested you, Bobb Kritz

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hallo GreenBerlina,

Thanks Antonio:thumbs:

I just looked at you photos, as Rob said, i've not seen that colour on a Berlina before. It suits the car, I also like the two-tone trim on the seats and door cards.:cool:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ian and Robin,

thanks for your kind words. There is another Berlina near the city I live in the same color (dark brown metallic). I think this color looks good on my Berlina. Gives it (her?) a classic touch.
And Ian, in my opinion you should keep the original color.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts