Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've a problem with the immobiliser on a 166 I'm buying. The car was starting fine but was parked up 2 weeks ago. We tried to jump start it as the battery was weak. No go and the key code sign is coming up on the dash. Any ideas/suggestions on what could be the problem?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
They can get a bit upset with flat batteries. Try charging the one on the car rather than a jump. Sometimes just disconnecting the flat one, recharging and reconnecting will do it. Basically, a proper reset of the system.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Hi, I've a problem with the immobiliser on a 166 I'm buying. The car was starting fine but was parked up 2 weeks ago. We tried to jump start it as the battery was weak. No go and the key code sign is coming up on the dash. Any ideas/suggestions on what could be the problem?
Is the green one in Cork with 17K on it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mufasa, that's the one. It hasn't been serviced in 19 years....driven to mass every Sunday. That's about it. He has a three year old Range Rover with 3,000 miles on the clock now so the 166 doesn't get driven anymore.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They can get a bit upset with flat batteries. Try charging the one on the car rather than a jump. Sometimes just disconnecting the flat one, recharging and reconnecting will do it. Basically, a proper reset of the system.
Thanks, is there any formal way of resetting the system once the ignition is on?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Thanks, is there any formal way of resetting the system once the ignition is on?
Not quite the answer you're looking for, but I would disconnect the battery.
Leave it for at least an hour and then with a battery with a good charge in it
start again - kinda like a router reboot....

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Considering yer name that's what I did when I was charging pomeos battery oota the boot awe those years ago. I never even saw the flash bang wallop but what apicture obtaining entry to the boot when the battery is still outside it. And the "KEY" method Disney work. Works on the other 3 but no Pomeo Has been work in progress for 14 years. How time flies....But having dun it a few times before in my haste connected wrongly and when connecvted correctly dash went haywire and code warning light on .

It led me a merry dance I can tell you …..Just oota curiousity howd you connect the jump leads.

Pomeo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts