Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the MiTo may be a little small for my 20,000 a year driving........any thoughts?

I think i've decided to ditch the 500 Abarth thoughts for that reason too!

·
Registered
631 Posts
For that milage I would recommend the 159 or GT tbh with the 1.9 jtdm, although several would argue for the petrols :) I only do 8-10 a year so the smaller car is a better idea as most of it is sub 25mph :(

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
I take it you do a fair bit of motorway miles in 20,000.... so I would want something a bit bigger ... as olopboy said GT or 159... :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have both already confirmed my thoughts.......next on the list WAS a GT, (although a GTA would fit the bill size wise just not fuel consumption wise) it would HAVE to be petrol though!

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
When you say 'it would HAVE to be petrol though'.... have you driven a new oilburner for a good distance....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say 'it would HAVE to be petrol though'.... have you driven a new oilburner for a good distance....
No but having had a diesel Range Rover and having driven the 147 diesel I just hated the noise and the smell........and still can't bring myself to convert to a diesel in an Alfa no matter hoe good the engines are these days!

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
No but having had a diesel Range Rover and having driven the 147 diesel I just hated the noise and the smell........and still can't bring myself to convert to a diesel in an Alfa no matter hoe good the engines are these days!
Fair enough... I would prefer a petrol for the sound alone... It just came down to cost / mpg at the end of the day.... :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm currently doing about 22k miles (35k km) a year in my 147, and don't have any problem with that... Next car will probably be a MiTo.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm currently doing about 22k miles (35k km) a year in my 147, and don't have any problem with that... Next car will probably be a MiTo.
Don't you think that sort of mileage, especially on motorways may need a more substantial Alfa?

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I agree; you might want a bigger car for that sought of use.

When are you thinking about getting it? Have you seen the new 149?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
just posted this in the other thread:
"One of the MiTo's best, most well-documented traits is its refinement on long journeys. I don't think, especially with a 120/155bhp engine, you'll have any problems with 20k miles every year."

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Looks great but may be out of my price range!
Then on the basis of:

just posted this in the other thread:
"One of the MiTo's best, most well-documented traits is its refinement on long journeys. I don't think, especially with a 120/155bhp engine, you'll have any problems with 20k miles every year."
I say go for the MiTo :) :) :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't you think that sort of mileage, especially on motorways may need a more substantial Alfa?
Nops not really, but I'm not a big fan of 'more substantial' cars in general. I'm still pretty young (at least I consider myself to be :p) and don't have a wife & kids - so that might have smth to do with it. I however do have problems with my back from time to time (sports injury). I've had a mondeo, an A4, and an A6 for 3 weeks (as a replacement) for company cars and and I'd take my 147 over them any time for doing long distances - I wouldn't hesitate for a split second, even if the only criteria would be comfort. A4 and A6 gave me probems with my back regularly, never had it in my 147 in the 3 years I have her. I do 200km+ trips with it from time to time (Belgium->Germany) and come out perfectly fresh. Offcourse when you really have the choice (as in: money is no issue) between the Brera or MiTo/147, well I don't think I'd skip on the Brera ;)

I have to say that I have the facelift 147 with standard suspension - which actually pretty soft compared to the 1st gen - that might have smth to do with it. In regards to comfort vs fun car I think it's the perfect mix. I drove the MiTo and have to say that it doesn't feel like the small car it actually is, and while the suspension is quite a bit stiffer than in my 147, I didn't have the impression that it was less comfortable. Offcourse I only tested it briefly (+- half a day), and it was mostly focussed at the Dynamic and All weather mode, so that could have messed with my perception. A new 'real road' test drive is planned, hopefully somewhere next week, I would recommend you to do the same thing and see for yourself. Also, next year - the magnetic suspension option will be available, which would make the ride both more comfortable (in Normal & All Weather) and more sporty (in Dynamic mode).

That said, I would certainly go for (Pelle Frau) leather seats though, regardless of which Alfa you take, also available in the last Brera's, and I think even in the last revisions of the 159's. I currently don't have leather and in general don't really like it (didn't like it in the A4), but those seats are just very good, and good seats make a huge difference when you do a lot of miles/km.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree
The Mito, much like my girls Grande Punto, will do fine! We have driven the Grande Punto to Italy and back racking up 2,000 miles in two weeks. No problem and very comfortable.

In fact, I think the Mito will do the same job a lot more entertaining. I drive about 20K miles a year as well in a 2006 147 Jtdm. Ditched the idea about the Abarth 500 as well, but the Mito will do just fine.

Ciao
Joost

1 - 18 of 18 Posts