Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandered If anyone recommends or has done it, or is it a myth that it helps keep the engine running cleaner? Mines a 1.6 by the way :)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
2 stroke oil is added to 2 stroke engines to lubricate the upper cylinder areas of an engine, the fact that you are burning diesel should mean that it is not necessary, it may be beneficial but might add to excessive oil contamination of the DPF. You wouldn't want it in a catalytic converter but maybe doesn't harm a DPF, anyone else got a view?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I remember back on the Civic forums quite a few of the diesel owners did this and the general feedback was that it helped smooth the engine out a bit.

But what words for a Honda might not for a Civic and a lack of anyone else here saying they use it puts me off trialing it!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to be on the Fiat bravo forum and heard a few raving about it on the JTD engines...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been adding 2-stroke oil since the car was 4 months old to my 2.0 jtdm. now 2 years old and 27,000 miles
Thats what I wanted to hear! Obviously no dpf probs then... What ratio do you use? Cheers

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I think it has been well documented on AO about the use of two stroke oil.

The consensus, I believe, was to use a low ash formulae.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Thats what I wanted to hear! Obviously no dpf probs then... What ratio do you use? Cheers
no dpf issues whatsoever, and I do short trips these days. I did 10k miles in the first 5 months, but since then I only did about 10k per year.

I use 100 ml 2-stroke oil and 100 ml peanut oil which I mix up beforehand. the cheapest 2-stroke I can find at 3.5 euro per litre, the peanut oil is 2-2.5 euro per litre. So for 6 euro I get 10 tankfuls worth.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Why is it unsafe?
I haven't got a clue but why would you add something that isn't proper to your engine like that? Your diesel is four stroke, why add two stroke oil to it? Is it in the manufacturers recommendations? Where would you be should a failure occur with regard to warranty? How is something of that viscosity beneficial to your fuelling system? What benefits do you expect to achieve? What will it do to your CAT? How about the DPF? I'm just bamboozled by anyone wanting to use a non recommended or designed for diesel engine additive...............

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I Googled and found this:

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC, diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel.

Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with Teflon or other suitable materials. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components.

This introduction to explain were the information comes from:

Any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homeopathic doses of 1:200, n practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank, the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself. In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clog and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.

The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95, the same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles, also the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My last Google was pro 2 stroke, however, this:

Adding 2 Stroke Oil to Diesel
2 Stroke Oil
There are a lot of arguments, mostly on motoring forums, about whether or not to add 2 stroke oil to diesel powered vehicles. The main argument is that this will improve the lubricity of the fuel, particularly low sulphur(50ppm/10ppm) diesel.

Sulphur occurs naturally in oil. It is undesirable for various reasons. The main reason is that the sulphur from the exhaust pipe forms sulphuric acid in the atmosphere which results in acid rain. In the vehicle it pollutes the engine oil reducing its life. Using a low sulphur diesel reduces both the environmental pollution and the pollution of engine oil. In order to produce low sulphur diesel, the sulphur has to be removed and the process that removes the sulphur reduces the lubricity of the diesel. Diesel pumps and injectors rely on this to keep them lubricated.

Should I add 2 Stroke Oil to my diesel to improve its lubricity?

In short, you shouldn't. 2 Stroke Oil is designed for 2 stroke motorcycle engines, not 4 stroke vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers and fuel refining companies all agree that running 2 Stroke Oil in fuel is likely to cause complications and there have been reports of engine failures due to 2 Stroke Oil sludging up valves and fouling injectors. As fuel refineries have produced lower sulphur diesel, so too have they added lubrication substitutes to the new diesels to the point that lubrication is now even higher than that of high sulphur diesel.

The vehicle manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The fuel companies don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The 2 Stroke Oil manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel,
therefore logic dictates that there is no reason to put 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've been using 2-stroke oil in my diesel since i've bought the car with no issues at all. Every diesel i ever owned got 2-stroke oil in the tank.

With dpf equipped cars you have to be careful that you buy mineral oil and not synthetic. Also it has to be low ash and at least JASO FB standard. I have recently switched to Shell Advance which is the only JASO FC which is still mineral oil based.

You will notice smoother idling and it keeps the turbine side of the turbo and aslo the egr valve clean.

I use it as in Malta we don't have a choice to buy premium diesel and the one that is available is crap quality. When i took the car to sicily and filled the tank with the best diesel I could find, the car ran like it does in Malta on crap fuel + 2-stroke.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts